Peppermint Days

Kili Brews Tea

Hair wet and skin still cool from his recent trip to the nearby river, Kili entered their hut with flourish. He spread his arms wide open and waited for the familiar warmth that would engulf him. She didn't disappoint. And a wide grin appeared on his face as her soft lips met his skin. Tauriel peppered him with kisses and it was the most wonderful feeling. She pulled him to their bed where they cuddled - her arms wrapped around his shoulders and her nose pressed on top of his head. He had taken an extra long time washing his hair for this reason. 

"So good," she murmured and Kili wouldn't mind having another round at the river.

For the past two weeks, Tauriel was acting out of sorts. It started when he came back from a hunt and Tauriel didn't want him to go near her. "You reek," she told him. Kili took it in stride. It confused him at first because his body odor wasn't an issue before. But as the loving and dutiful husband that he is, Kili is more than willing to provide for her every need - even if meant taking a bath, not only once before coming home but three times a day, something he wasn't accustomed to. He was immensely rewarded right after with hugs and kisses. Even more, when she scents pine or sage on him. Because of this, Kili bought bottles of scents during one of his trips to the human market. They also made an herb garden for her because she liked the scent of thyme, rosemary, mint and sage.

Another peculiar trait his wife developed all of a sudden was her penchant for walnuts. She craved for them so much that Kili had walnuts and bread for breakfast, walnuts in his salad or his soup and walnuts with his meat in all his meals. It was a miracle he had not grown sick of them. But what he noticed was that his Tauriel was less restless at night compared to before. He attributed this with the change in their diet and Kili made sure they never run out of them. 

Everything was going well for the next two weeks as Kili anticipated her every need. He took care of everything that bothered her. Despite her protests, he started helping with the household chores and kept their house clean.

However, one morning, Kili found her emptying the contents of her breakfast at the back of their shed. She looked pale and her eyes were glazed. Fear and panic shot through him that Kili hastily carried his wife back to their bedroom. Her skin felt cold and clammy. She was sweating and he gingerly wiped her forehead and neck with a clean cloth, his hands trembling slightly as his heart hammered inside his chest. Kili was at a loss of what to do or who to send for. They weren't exactly accepted by their kin, except for a certain blonde prince, his brother and mother, and the company, save for his uncle Thorin. It was foolish to live so far away from all of them and he berated himself for making such a decision. 

He wondered if her stomach was ailing because of the walnuts. Too much of anything was never good. Did someone die from eating walnuts?

"It's nothing," she said, her weak voice pulling him from his thoughts. "Must be something I ate." He hovered above her and the strands of her glorious red hair from her face. She still didn't look good. 

"Shh... rest, my love. You'll feel better soon." Kili leaned over and dropped gentle kisses on her brows and when she finally closed her eyes, he kissed her lids as well. "I'll be back."

"No-"

"Shh... I'll be home before you know it," he promised.

Every moment spent away from her was killing him. Dread, fear and anxiety accompanied him as he raced towards the nearest human settlement in his pony. He wasn't sure if he would be receiving any help but it was worth a try. He would send word to Legolas and his brother when the merchant caravan passes by tomorrow morning. What he needed now is a healer - a human healer would do.

He found one... and some. When he recounted the incident this morning to the old healer, his granddaughter readily agreed to go with him.

The sun was already high up in the sky when they reached his house. The sound of water rushing and the clanging of pots greeted him from outside the door. Kili rushed inside. His face paled and his jaw slacked to see Tauriel moving about their kitchen. He rushed towards her but the words were caught up in his throat. He only managed to say her name in exasperation. He didn't know whether to feel angry at her for not resting when he told her to or relieved that she appeared to be fine.

"Are you hungry, my love? This will be ready in-" Her eyes shot up and over his head. "Oh! We have visitors." Tauriel walked past him and he gaped at her once again, for ignoring him just like that. She carried on as if nothing happened and then asked their guests to take a seat like the gracious hostess. He wondered if she missed having company around. A hut on the other side of the mountain didn't give her much opportunity to meet other people.

She was in the middle of asking them to stay for lunch when the old healer, Aeron, gestured her to sit. Tauriel went silent and cast Kili a questioning glance. He moved to her side at once and held her hand, not so much to reassure her but himself.  A lifetime was not enough to ever prepare him for this moment.

"Now... now, look at me child," the old man's tender voice had Tauriel turning her head to do as he said. Wrinkled hands held her face as the old man inspected her eyes. His right hand dropped to the side of her neck and the other on her wrist. His eyes widened.

Kili was already tense and the healer's reaction was only adding to his anxiety. "What's wrong with her Aeron? Is her pul-"

Aeron released her and said, "'tis something I haven't seen."  

Kili's heart rate increased a notch in response. "Please help her," he implored. "Tell me what she needs... what to do and it shall be done." Kili kept his voice from shaking but he couldn't hide his urgency. They might be losing precious seconds as they sit here and talk.

"She's perfectly fine, young dwarf..." 

Kili nodded, though confused, and his worried eyes met hers. Tauriel squeezed his hand and put on a brave smile.

"But until when, I cannot say." Aeron canted his head towards the sack and Eiriel promptly emptied it's contents. Kili recognized ginger, peppermint and chamomile. He can easily get them.

"Ginger tea for when you feel cold and miserable," he told Tauriel and then turned to Kili. "Peppermint tea if she feels hot... when she is irritable and hot tempered."

Kili needed that ginger tea now. How will these herbs save his wife?

"Chamomile to help her relax," Eiriel added helpfully and smiled. "Congratulations, sir Kili."

Kili was utterly bewildered."Wha-"

"She's with child, sir. Your child, the first from an elf and dwarf mating," Eiriel broke the news gently and slowly, allowing the meaning of her words to sink in to Kili's muddled brain.

And when it did, Kili was beside himself with joy. His eyes were wide and bright. His mouth clamped his fist, while his other hand hit his thigh repeatedly. He was going to be a father. Tears sprung from his lids at the wonderful gift they were given. Tauriel mirrored the emotions he felt - the tips of her ears were red and so are her cheeks. She seemed to glow. Kili pulled his beautiful wife to him and they both wept.

After they have calmed down, Aeron explained how this pregnancy could be a risk to the mother. That bit of information quelled his excitement.

Kili was about to voice his concern but Tauriel was quick to assuage his fears. "Aeron was merely telling us to take the necessary precautions. Like any other pregnancy, complications might arise-"

"But-"

"I will have our child, Kili. No one will take away this happiness from me," she said with determination set in her gaze. "I won't let our child die. I won't die."

Kili nodded, mustering all the faith and courage he had. He simply did not have the heart to break hers. "Yes, my love. I believe you. And I will do everything to keep you and our child." Kili sealed his promise with a kiss which she returned.

Hands held tight, Kili said to Aeron, "Tell us everything you know."

 

 

A month later, Kili found himself facing a glaring Tauriel. The redness at the tips of her ears, face and chest was not a good sign. Her brows were crossed and so are her arms. Even so, she looked more and more beautiful every time he laid his eyes on her.

"I am not an invalid, Kili. I can and will get up from this bed," she asserted.

Word reached his mother that Tauriel was with child and in a matter of weeks, they were relocated to the castle where she would be taken care of. Dis will not have her first grandchild born outside his/her homeland. And Kili will not risk losing them. He needed all the help he could get, which his mother and brother readily offered. Legolas also sent three of their healers. He still haven't received word from his uncle, but the fact that they were now living inside the castle meant that his uncle was coming to terms with it.

Tauriel, on the other hand, seemed to have a hard time adjusting. Living as an independent she-elf - captain of the guard, no less- for nearly six hundred years, Kili understood her need to do things on her own. But he can't give her that much freedom due to her condition. 

"Yes, yes of course, love. We will take a stroll outside, you want that don't you?" Kili acquiesced and offered her the smile that she can't resist. She huffed in return. "But first... you must take your tea and have a healer look at you. What do you want?"

Her eyes narrowed into tinier slits. "Peppermint."

 

 

Word count: 1763