Of Picture Frames and Planners

Of Picture Frames and Planners

The familiar wind chime rings as another patient leaves after a session with the pediatrician. Chanyeol smiles as he inserts the 7x5 picture in the brown maple frame. The baby in the picture smiles as Chanyeol babbles incoherent words to have it’s gaze at the camera. He admits he’s been always fond of babies. The way they wabble their chubby legs or how they are too adorable are just a few reasons. The sunlight in the room turns a dark orange and soon, he finds himself arranging the magazines and writing down Mr. Byun’s appointments for the next day. Being his secretary wasn’t easy. When he first applied, he knew it was goanna be a tough job. Considering his short temper and large ego. Mothers would even talk about him behind his back. Whispers of complaints flowing out of their mouths as they leave. And it hurt chanyeol. Because Mr. Byun isn’t always mean. He’s just tired. Everyone has the right to. But as Chanyeol peeps at Mr. Byun’s door, his heart swells as he sees the 21 year-old doctor play with one of his patients. Chanyeol then remembered that Mr. Byun wasn’t someone who would graduate from a great school and become a pediatrician if he wasn’t good with babies. He sees him talk to the baby and hold his chubby arm as he is carried in his mother’s arms; slightly bouncing. The smile on his face lights up a room, Chanyeol thinks.

 

“Make sure he drinks a lot of water and that he gets a lot of sleep. If his cold still persists within a week, come back., okay?” he says and hands the woman a prescription. She thanks him and Chanyeol before leaving, which ends another day in the hospital. The tall man knocks and enters as he hears a slight hum as Baekhyun’s response.

“Doc, these are the appointments for tomorrow” he says as he places his planner on the table before going to the wall at the furthest back. Chanyeol smiles as hundreds of picture frames hang on the white cement. Every single baby that has entered in the office has a picture with their name written at the back. Every baby looked different and each baby had a special place in Chanyeol’s heart and in Baekhyun’s, he assumes.

“There are too many pictures already, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun says, not removing his eyes on the planner. “It’s goanna be crowded soon.”

“No, it won’t.” the other protests with a smile and hangs the most recent on the wall as he hears the other sigh.

“Whatever you say, Park Chanyeol” he replies. Chanyeol stands back and looks at it with a bright smile. All these babies have gone in this room and had been cured. The thought that they all are here to get better is something that makes his heart melt.

“Cute, eh?” The doctor says as he stands by Chanyeol, looking at the wall. The other chuckles and hums in response. Baekhyun always wanted to be a pediatrician ever since his younger sister died due to dengue. There weren’t any doctors in their village and the nearest hospital was at the next town. And as she dies in their home, Baekhyun already knew that when he grew up, he’s gonna change all that.

“Every time a parent came here, with a smile on their face on every movement of their child… it makes me feel like I want to have one too” the shorter confesses. Chanyeol smiles as he feels the same way.

“You know what Chanyeol, you should have a baby too. You’re great with kids.” The other laughs and thinks for a proper response.

“Thanks doc but I….I think that might not happen as of now” he replies and the other looks at him with doubt. “Why? You’re married aren’t you?”

“Yes but…I think I’m not ready to be a dad and although I would love to have kids, I just don’t think we’re stable yet. We just got married and we’re still trying to get a hold of  marriage.” He then turns to Baekhyun with a smile. “Plus, my partner thinks I’m still a baby” The doctor scoffs and returns to his seat with a “Your partner’s right about that though” and closes the black notebook before leaning back into his chair. It’s been a long day and both want to go home. Chanyeol finds his way out only to be stopped by the other with a call of his name.

“Where are you going?” He asks with his eyes still closed and head thrown back at the  top part of his chair. The taller faces him in confusion.

“Home, doc. Do you need-”

“Massage me, first” he says and Chanyeol’s eyebrows scrunch as he thinks he didn’t hear it properly. “Sorry?”

“Massage my head first. Come on, I had a long day” Chanyeol mentally curses the doctor on how tired he was as well but goes at the back of his chair anyways and rubs the pediatrician’s temples. Baekhyun purrs of comfort before stealing a glance at the clock.

“Oh shoot, I better get home.” He stands and packs his things before rushing out with a “See you tomorrow, Chanyeol” and as the other is left, confused, he smiles and takes his things before going home

 


Chanyeol sighs as he finally enters his house and drops all his things on the floor. The smell of grilled meat leads him to the kitchen. He sees his one and only and back hugs with his love pouring out as the other laughs.

“Why are you late? Traffic?” The older asks.

“Yeah. I was thinking about what my boss said a while ago ”

“Really? What did he say?” the other asks playfully.

“You,Byun Baekhyun said that we should have babies.” Chanyeol whispers in his ear. Baekhyun’s grin reaches from ear to ear.

“I was serious though. We should try adopting or finding a carrier. These things are important. They’re no joke.” Baekhyun says before wrapping his arms on his lover’s neck. Noses almost touching.

“You’re too serious at work, yeobo. You should really lighten up” Chanyeol comments. A sharp glare was emitting from Baekhyun but a smile so bright was shinning on his face.