Still

One-Way Promise

On the crowded streets of Garosugil, a certain female was seen walking in her white pumps. It was killing her legs but she didn't care. She was wearing a strapless floral dress that goes right until her knee, a sheer brown cardigan was visible on top of her dress. Her brown hair was let loose, she only wore a small ribbon shaped hairpin on her bangs. She carried a small sling bag on her left shoulder, while her right hand was holding her phone. "What does the fox say, ring ding ding ding ding-" Her phone rang. Her pink lips twitched upwards as she read the caller ID.

"Mhm, I'll be there in five minutes. I can't wait to see you!" The excited tone on her voice was obvious. Song Yunha was going to meet her old friend, who just came back from the States. She dressed herself extra nicely because it was a special occasion for her. And apparently, this old friend of hers, was also her first love. 

It all started back in high school. It was one of those meet-cute that made her giggle everytime she tried to remember it.

 


 

During summer break, Yunha did some volunteer work at an orphanage. The place was crowded with kids screaming in glee, other students who were singing along the alphabet song and those who looked clueless as ever. He was included in that last category.

She saw this cute guy who was smiling awkwardly as a child ran past him, but it seemed that he wanted to help.

"Hi! Do you need any help?" Yunha offered with that signature smile of hers. The guy blinked at her confusedly before realizing what she had meant.

"Help? Oh, yeah! It's my first summer volunteering here so I still don't know what to do." Smiling sheepishly, his hands reached for the back of his head, scratching it lightly. He was just wearing a plain white tee, dark jeans and red converse while his hair was normally tousled, but that was the reason why he looked good so without even trying.

"New volunteer? That explains your awkwardness- wait, I didn't mean that you're awkward it's just-" Too much staring, she got tongue-twisted and it made her look stupid. Way to go, Song Yunha.

"It's alright. I do look a bit out of place, don't I?" He answered, chuckling.

"Yes! I mean no- not at all." She gave him a huge grin. She didn't even care about how ruined her first impression on him. "I'm Song Yunha. And you?" She introduced herself, changing the subject while she anxiously tapped her fingers on her thigh - a thing that she always do when she's nervous.

"Kim Donghyuk." He said. Short and simple. But it left a deep impression in Yunha's mind.

"Kim Donghyuk. Kim Donghyuk. Kim Donghyuk." She repeated his name inside her head as if she was chanting some magic spell. "Things work simply here. You just play with the kids, make sure that no one is crying but if they do, calm them down. Then at night, usually we'll clean up this place."

"Sounds easy enough." Donghyuk chuckled. "Then let's go play with them!"

 


 

Once summer break ended, Yunha was upset. Thinking that she might not be able to see him again. Surprise, surprise - that same guy appeared at her classroom. He was the transfer student. The one that everyone keeps talking about. They said that he was one smart fellow.

"Smart? They haven't see how awkward he was at the orphanage." She giggled at the thought. Completely forgetting that she was in class.

"Mr. Kim, you can sit next to that giggling girl over there." The teacher said, pointing at Yunha's seat. That pulled her back to reality, where she was greeted with a dazzling smile when she turned her head to the side. And no, she wasn't even exaggerating. Did this guy eat the sun for breakfast?

"Good day. I wasn't expecting to see you again here." Donghyuk smiled, showing off his pearly whites as his eyes turned into an upside down crescent moon shape.

"Yeah, same here." She nodded in agreement. She noticed how many books were now placed on their table. "Are those your notebooks?" She questioned. Was he really that smart as people said?

He nodded as an answer. He took out his glasses - round in shape, black frame, and wore it. It made him look less handsome, but cuter.

Then, she took out her notebook. Only one, which earned her a side glance from Donghyuk. Realizing that he was looking at her, she moved a strand of hair to the back of her ear and cleared . "You're not the studious type, aren't you?" He nudged her sides.

Her body flinched at the sudden skinship. Maybe it flinched too hard until she bumped her head to the window frame. "Ouch." She rubbed her sore head. "And yes, I'm not that studious-" Before she even managed to finish her answer, the teacher had interrupted their conversation.

"Enough talking! Open your book to page 102!"

 


 

Their relationship has grown - from acquaintances that met during volunteer work to seatmates to close friends. That was how Yunha's feelings started to bloom. Every single day she arrived early, only to see him study beside her. Befriending Donghyuk also improved her grades. Because he would always be there when she was struggling over something she didn't understand.

Fall 2014. They were sitting side by side on the bench at the nearby park. Watching how the leaves fell from the branches, leaving it looking bare.

"Yunha, I have something to say." Donghyuk's soft tone surprised her. She had never heard it before, but something new is good, right?

"Y-yes?" She didn't know why she stuttered. Maybe it was the butterflies fluttering inside her stomach but this little voice inside her heart had sense something not quite right.

"I'll be leaving for the States once I graduate. I received a scholarship at Columbia University...." He took a deep breath before saying another word. "I'm sorry."

As if her voice had been from her body, Yunha didn't let out a word. Sorry, she hated that word. Especially coming out from a person who had did nothing wrong. Donghyuk got a scholarship in an Ivy League university, she should be happy. She should've been congratulating him but there she sat, staring blankly into his eyes. The atmosphere was dead silent, making it harder for her to speak.

"It's okay." Was all she could say. She lied, she was far from okay. Tears started to brim in her eyes but she tried her best to fight it back. She didn't want to look weak in front of him, never.

"Will you wait for me?" It was probably the worst thing he had ever say. Asking a girl to wait for him while their relationship status wasn't clear. Were they friends? Or more? He didn't know. He had a crush on her, obviously. Ever since he became seatmates with Yunha, he started to feel happy when she was around. But he couldn't confess to her and leave her, just like that. So asking her to wait was probably the best option.

"I will." Her answer came out like a small squeak. Her visions were getting more blurry and she shut her eyes as he pulled her into a hug.

Yunha sobbed uncontrollably in his embrace. Her heart felt heavy eating up all those tears, therefore she decided to let it out. Not giving a second thought that her tears were staining Donghyuk's shirt, her hand grabbed the collar of his shirt, squeezing it lightly.

He didn't say anything. He only let her cry in his arms, rubbing his hands softly on her back. He knew that he was at fault, but what else that he could do - nothing.

As her sobbing died down, he let go of her and slipped something to her left little finger. It was a simple silver ring that has a small jewel on top of it. Her eyes looked into his in confusement.

"What's that for?" She asked, holding up the ring finger.

"It's a promise ring." He smiled weakly. "I will come back no matter what. And you promised to wait for me, right?" He continued, holding up his right pinky - an identical ring was encircled on it.

"Yes." She replied as she couldn't hold back a smile. Eventhough promises are meant to be broken, she knew that Donghyuk wasn't the type who breaks promises.

He also smiled, this time wider. "That's right. You should smile more like that." 

 


 

The next day was graduation day. 

It was just like any other high school graduation ceremony except for that fact that Donghyuk had to leave right after it. Yunha avoided every interaction he initiated that day. He was confused but he saw the ring on her finger - he knew that she will wait. 

And the day before was the last time they had a descent conversation - or in other words, a formal goodbye.

 


 

Her eyes finally spot a small cafe near one of the quiet alleys. It was a white building with a glass window on the front side. Passers-by can see many sweet delicacies that was shown through the display window. The door was in the same shade of white - with a small window on top.

She combed her hair with her fingers, tidying up her dress after that. Yunha wanted to look good - especially on their first meeting after all these years.

Did he change? How does he look like now? Will he notice me? Those were the type of questions that ran through her mind.

Then, she pushed the door open (as it rang a bell), eyes searching for that particular someone. And there he was, sitting at one of the seats near the corner.

Hearing the bell rang, Donghyuk immediately stood up and his eyebrows perked up when he saw her. While was taken aback by his transformation. He had grown taller and dyed his hair blonde. His body became muscular but not too bulky. He had physically changed - in a good way, of course.

But there was one thing that never changed from him; the way his eyes turned into an upside down crescent moon shape and how his lips curved upwards into a sweet smile when he saw her.

"Good day." He greeted her when she approached him. They both still couldn't believe that they were standing face-to-face. Somehow, the air was awkward because their gaze land on each other's pinky, discovering the ring still placed there.

"It's a good day, isn't it?" She chuckled, trying to break the awkward bubble.

Words just cannot explain how he was feeling. His right hand reached for her left hand, letting their fingers brushed against each other before entwining their fingers - like how people do pinky swears. Their promises weren't broken, they both kept it and did things as promised.

He kissed the tip of her nose, and his lips made its way to her lipstick tinted lips. Carefully, he pressed it against hers, letting his heart to take over his conscience. This foreign yet familiar feeling had succeeded to make her heart thumped in joy. 

He wanted more, scratch that, he was craving for more. But he realized that they weren't at the right place nor it was the right time. So he didn't cross over the line. She also had many things she wanted to say but she didn't know how. A kiss was pretty much the only way she could show him that she had a good reason why she waited for him - because she loves him. He was the one who pulled away, afraid that if it goes longer, he might've cross the line. He pulled up their intertwined fingers, symbolizing their promise.

"We both kept our promises, we just kissed for the first time. Yeah, it is a good day." 

 


no limit gon' touch the sky ; woohoo finally finished this. originally i wrote this for hanbin but decided to change it to our donghyuk. an early birthday present for him yay! the promise ring thing suddenly came up to my mind so yeah the whole idea of this was pretty vague orz a comment would do to make my day c: and happy new year \o/