Child Searching For A Star

Winter Story (겨울소설)

 

Above up high there hiding behind the clouds

I look upon the sky in search for a star

Sitting as the hours pass, staring at the sky

 

It was a cold night in the quiet hospital; the atmosphere definitely was not that in the day. In one room a thirteen-year-old Daehyun was rolling around in his bed, unable to sleep at all. He had counted the sheep like what he was told people usually do when they can’t sleep, but instead of getting any sleepier, he only felt sick and tired of counting imaginary animals.

Unable to stand the stupid creatures anymore, Daehyun got down from his bed and walked to the door. To his pleasure, his parents weren’t there since they had just gone home a few minutes ago. The naughty boy opened the door to form a small gap that was barely big enough for his head to peek through. The corridor was empty—no nurses or any sign of humans in sight.

He wanted to go to the other side of the building to one particular room; however, this meant that he needed to pass the lobby. Slowly and carefully, Daehyun tip-toed while checking his surroundings in case he got caught by the nurses.

The lobby was empty as well, disregarding the nurses at the receptionist desk. A mischievous smile played on his plump lips. He could do it, the desk was really tall so the nurses wouldn’t see him.

Daehyun crouched down and scurried quickly across the floor before anyone could see him. He felt like a ninja from those Naruto movies that he’d watched.

Trailing far enough away from the lobby, Daehyun released the breath he had been holding since. He had already overcome the danger; thus, now he had nothing to worry about. Soon the boy’s destination came to view.

Room 108

He opened the door slowly as if it would be scattered to pieces if he were to push too hard. There in the bed near the window, a boy younger than him was looking up at the sky searching for stars in the darkness of the night through the glass of his window. His eyes sparkled with innocence and hope; his skin glowed under the rain of the moonlight.

Moon Jongup

An innocent boy that was just like the moon; pure, calming with a smile that was as bright and as warm as the sun. That was what Daehyun had thought ever since he met Jongup months ago.

The younger turned around when he heard the door open. He flashed a smile to Daehyun before returning his gaze to the window.

“Why are you still up at this late, Uppie?” Daehyun approached him. He climbed the bed and took a look at the book in Jongup’s hands.

‘When You Wish Upon a Star’

 “Searching for a star again, huh?”

“One says that if you wish upon a star, then whatever you wish for will come true.”

“Is that why you’re always searching for a star in the night? What are you wishing for, Uppie?”

Jongup closed the book instead of answering the question. He remained occupied as he still tried to find a star, but it was clear that the stars he wanted to see so badly were nowhere to be found. The moon shone brightly, forcing the outshined stars to shyly hide beneath the dark sky and the cold night.

A loud growl from behind distracted him, as Jongup giggled at the older boy who was currently pouting with a blush on his cheeks.

“S-stop laughing! It’s normal for a healthy kid like me to get hungry,” Daehyun retorted.

“Then you should go eat, Hyung. Tell the nurses that you are hungry again,” Jongup said while through his giggles.

“They won’t give me anything even if I ask. That’s why I came here. Follow me,” Daehyun pulled Jongup off of the bed out and out of the room.

He put a finger on his mouth, signaling at the younger to stay silent. Jongup, who had no idea what the elder was trying to do, just let Daehyun drag him. But still he was nervous he knew they were both violating their curfew. What if the nurses checked their rooms?

The two boys stood silently at the storage room, while Daehyun opened the door cautiously, trying hard not to make any sound before slipping into the room. Meanwhile, Jongup remained outside with a worried face; this is bad, he thought. Daehyun, who eventually realized that the younger had still not followed him in, called him through the crack, urging him to enter before someone saw them.

In the end Jongup followed the hungry boy into the room. Daehyun immediately began digging through countless shelves and racks in an attempt to find anything edible because his stomach had been screaming nonstop for a while now.

“Ahhaaa! I got it!” Daehyun ran to Jongup to show him what he had just found—a bag of potato chips.

He eagerly opened the bag before digging in shamelessly without any concern about the younger beside him. When he heard Jongup giggle, realization hit him. His cheeks blushed bright red.

“Uuh- would you like some of it?” Daehyun shoved a potato chip in front of Jongup’s face, to which the younger refused.

“I’m okay Hyung, not hungry. You can eat it by yourself, I see you must be starving.”

Jongup’s words just made him blushed harder.

“Okay then, if you say so..” Daehyun turned his head to the other side, hiding his red face.

They sat there side by side, enjoying the silence of the night as Daehyun finished his potato chips while Jongup stared at night sky through the window in the storage room.

 

Skies filled with the stars

I glance upon the starry sky,

In awe of the shining stars

Beautiful like diamonds in the sky

 

The air was getting colder day by day; one could clearly see that winter was right around the corner. Soon snow would cover everything and white would be the only color one could see. Jongup and Daehyun were on their way to the rooftop since the younger had heard through the news that there would be a meteor shower tonight, viewable to the eye. In order to see it he decided to go the rooftop for the best possible view; Jongup also brought blankets and some snacks to accompany him.

At first Jongup just wanted to go alone but the older boy insisted to come along too because he was supposedly curious. Actually the real reason was that Daehyun wanted to spend more time with Jongup.

He met Jongup when he himself was sent to the hospital for a bone fracture he had received while playing soccer. After his operation, he was unable to go anywhere, so the boy lied in bed all day and all night with a cast on his right leg. He was stuck in agony for two weeks, that was until a little smiling angel approached him. Moon Jongup came to his room with a pure innocent smile and two lollipops in his little hand.

Later he learned that Jongup was in the hospital for quite long enough. Brain Cancer was the reason for why Jongup was imprisoned there. Although the disease he was diagnosed with was dangerous, Jongup never showed the slightest sadness. He would be smiling from ear to ear all the time, spreading the warmth from his smile to everyone else in the hospital. The boy was loved by all the people who met him and Daehyun considered himself to be one of the younger’s many admirers.

“Daehyunie Hyung faster! You walk so slowly, like an old grandpa.”

Jongup frolicked with obvious excitement, bouncing up and down on the cold floor.

“Slow down a little Uppie, my leg is still healing you know.”

“I’m sorry Hyung; here, let me help you.”

They picked one spot before settling down on the blanket that was brought along. Daehyun gazed slowly at Jongup, who was sitting excitedly with a big grin on his cute face as he gazed up at the sky, waiting for the meteor shower to start at any minute.

Suddenly Jongup pulled out a book that Daehyun had never seen before. He flipped through several pages before stopping on one particular page and then alternating his gaze between the page and the sky.

Daehyun studied every little action the younger made—the way his little fingers danced gracefully on the pages of the book he had opened, the way his lips formed a cute frown when he confused, the way his small eyes sparkled like stars. Everything about Jongup was unbelievably precious.

In his eyes Jongup was the epitome of cuteness and purity. Daehyun could not understand why such a perfect human being could exist in the world. He could think of only one word to describe Jongup.

Angel

Perhaps Jongup was an angel that was sent down to earth.

“I don’t understand what you are doing, Uppie. You’ve been like this since we arrived here,” Daehyun pouted.

The said boy stopped with his eager search for stars as he realized that he had been ignoring Daehyun since they arrived. But what else could he do? Jongup loved everything about stars; they fascinated him so much that he was willing to trade his sleep time with searching for the balls of fire that he was so interested in.

“Sorry Hyung..” Jongup smiled sheepishly. “I was looking for Polaris.”

“Polaris? What is that?”

Jongup returned his sight to the book.

“Polaris is a star, a North Star—the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Minor.”

“North Star? Co-consti, ahh no co-constel..lation? Ursa Minor? Yaah, speak with simpler words; we’re still young, you’re just eleven but you’re already talking like old people,” Daehyun sniffed, rubbing his cold nose.

The boy beside Daehyun giggled, he moved closer so Daehyun could see the book. Their shoulders touched one another’s, and all Daehyun wanted was to cuddle with the small figure in his arms.

“This is a book about constellations, Hyung. You know there are many stars in the sky, right?” Daehyun nodded and listened to Jongup attentively. “Each of those stars is a part of a certain group in which the star forms patters with prominent stars within it. That’s why there are things like zodiacs. You get it, Dae Hyung?”

Daehyun cluelessly stared at Jongup and blinked several times, “Umm.. No.”

“Why can’t you understand it, Hyung?” Jongup whined.

“It is too hard to understand, Uppie, I’m hungry.”

“Hyung, it’s only been fifteen minutes since we got here and you’re already hungry?”

“Yaaah!! I already told you before that I’m growing up,” the elder retorted as he attempted to hide his blushing cheeks.

“Pfft, you’re always hungry, Daehyunie Hyung—anywhere, anytime.”

Nonetheless Jongup took the thermos and poured a glass of hot chocolate with marshmallows on top of it for his hungry hyung. Daehyun hummed in satisfaction at the feeling of something delicious simmering down his throat down to his demanding stomach. Hot chocolate helped him to stay warm in the cold air of the night.

Jongup had returned to his studying, his lips were parted as he released a soft sigh, and his cheeks were a bit red possibly due to the coldness. It was really chilly but he wasn’t planning to let the chance to see a meteor shower pass by just like that. This was the only chance he had and there was no guarantee that another opportunity would come again.

Jongup was afraid, scared to be honest, that the meteor shower would not come any sooner. Or worse, perhaps he wouldn’t be there to see it.

A pair of hands took his without him realizing; something warm radiated from the item in his hands. He looked up slowly to find Daehyun rubbing their hands together to evoke warmth, as he blew hot air to his cold hands.

“You should have brought a scarf or mittens or anything, Uppie; it’s so cold tonight and you’re just wearing one layer under your jacket.” Daehyun said still busy to warm up the said boy. “Here, use my scarf.”

“But Dae Hyung you will get cold instead of me,” Jongup protested, stopping Daehyun from putting the scarf on him.

“Hey, remember? I am a healthy kid, I won’t get sick as easily,” he poked that small yet cute nose and wrapped the scarf around Jongup’s neck. After that he moved and sat behind Jongup before pulling him into his embrace, startling the younger.

“D-Dae.. Dae Hyung?”

“Ahh it feels so good like this.” Daehyun spoke to the sky, for he was not brave enough to face Jongup. “Who knew body warmth could be this good, huh?”

Something bubbled up inside Jongup. He couldn’t identify it, but he felt so happy just from the elder’s simple act. He loved the feeling of being loved by his Daehyun Hyung.

“Is it warm enough, Uppie?”

Jongup hummed softly in response leaning back to get more comfortable. He tried to focus back on his book but the warmth radiating from Daehyun’s body was just too hard to ignore.

“Look Hyung!” He pointed to the night sky. “There you see, it’s Polaris, the brightest star from the constellation Ursa Minor.”

“Huh, where?”

“There, Hyung, the brightest star. Open up your eyes!”

“I don’t see it, Uppie,” a playful smile spread across his face. Daehyun always loved to tease the cute human being in his arms.

Jongup huffed in annoyance, “Forget it, Hyung!”

“Yah, are you mad at me right now, Uppie?” He continued to provoke the annoyed Jongup.

“Uppie is not available at the moment, try again later.”

“…”

“…”

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Daehyun laughed so hard until he rolled on the floor like a buffalo, clutching at his pained stomach from laughing too much. Watching Daehyun laugh with all his heart made Jongup pout even more.

“DAE HYUNG I HATE YOU!”

Daehyun, who was still on the floor, had a hard time controlling his laughter. Jongup was just really cute and innocent, he thought. But that was what made Jongup different from the other kids and Daehyun could only hope that he would stay like that and never change.

He approached the pouting Jongup carefully, “Hyung is sorry, Uppie, but it is your fault for making me laugh like this.”

Jongup didn’t budge at all; he continued to sit silently, ignoring Daehyun. A pair of arms s around him, startling his silence. Daehyun leaned on the boy’s shoulder and tightened his arms on Jongup, sharing their cherished warmth. A ticklish hot breath danced by Jongup’s ear.

“Uppie~ Dae Hyung is sorry. Please forgive me, okay?”

How could he stay mad if Daehyun was apologizing while trying to be cute at the same time? Truthfully, Jongup couldn’t stay mad at someone if he tried. He nodded weakly, signaling that he had forgiven Daehyun already.

Out of nowhere Daehyun leaned closer toward Jongup and kissed his cheek, “Thank you, Uppie!”

The action made him freeze like a statue, his heart beat accelerating. He could still feel the soft and warm feeling lingering on his blushing cheek. A loud pounding came was suddenly felt behind him and Jongup eventually recognized it as Daehyun’s heartbeat. The older boy’s heart was beating in rhythm with his.

Both of them stayed in that position, clearly enjoying each other company. No one made any attempts to talk or move until Daehyun decided to ask Jongup why he loved the stars.

Jongup then described how the stars were always shining up above and sparkling every night, as if they were a child searching for a friend to play with. Even though they were occasionally outshined by the moon, they were still present underneath the moonlight.

“I feel like they are calling me to play with them,” he added as he stared longingly at the dark sky that was filled with stars. Somehow Daehyun could hear the sadness in the younger’s voice. His heart clenched at the feeling.

“There’s an old belief, which states that when one leave this world their soul will ascend to the sky and become one of the many stars.”

“…”

“Sometimes I wonder if I will be one when I leave this wor-“

Jongup couldn’t continue the words when the figure behind him hugged him tightly as if he would disappear into the air. He slowly touched those trembling arms that were wrapped around him.

“Dae Hyung..”

“No, Jongup! Don’t say those words, I hate it!”

This was the first time Daehyun had called him by his full name, Jongup. Since the first time they met at the hospital, the older had always called him Uppie, because that’s what people around them called him. Jongup liked how his name came out from Daehyun’s mouth.

“Hyung, all of us are human beings; in the end we will all leave this world eventually. It’s just that this time is different for each person. I will die and leave and so will you. It’s not like I will die tomorrow, Hyung, no one knows. But when I leave this world I’ll leave no regrets because I’m thankful for the life that has been given to me… I’m thankful for each breath that I take, for every heart that I meet and share my happiness with. And one thing that I’m really thankful for is..

 

 

 

..you, Dae Hyung.”

 

I wished upon a shooting star

That my prayers would all come true,

I wished upon a shooting a star

And then I thought of you

 

Sounds of glass shattering to pieces echoed in Room 108.

Jongup just wanted to get a glass of water to ease his thirst when a sharp pain attacked his head. The glass slipped out of his reach and fell to the floor. His vision immediately blurred to the point where he couldn’t comprehend anything around him. He tried to hold it in but the pain wouldn’t leave him alone; it only got worse.

His world felt as if it were spinning like a hurricane. It took all of his energy just to reach the red button beside his bed; it only took one touch for the nurse and the doctor to immediately barge into his room and save him from the pain he was trying to fight at the moment. But Jongup couldn’t make a slight move or emit a sound to call someone.

Everything started fading to black but before he lost his consciousness, Jongup heard someone coming in the room and shouting his name.

Then the rest of the memories became dark.

 

“Mrs. Moon, I bet you are fully aware about what has happened now? We try our best to push it back but the cancer has spread faster than we’ve predicted and it is getting worse day by day. The only way to solve this is through operation, but may I remind you again that we can not guarantee 100% that it will succeed. The percentage of success is less than 20% and I will not execute the operation unless both the patient and the family agree to it.”

Mrs. Moon tried with all her willpower to withstand her tears. The world was cruel; God wasn’t fair to her and her one and only son. Out of millions of people in the world, she was still flustered about why it had to be Jongup.

“Can’t you find another way Doctor? I- I don’t want to lose him.”

“I have told you before that I’m afraid this is the only way to save him even if it puts his life at stake.”

 

The room was silent; there was absolutely no sound except the beeping from the machine that was monitoring Jongup’s heart rate. After Daehyun found him knocked out in his room, the nurses moved him to the emergency unit. Now poor Jongup was lying unconsciously on the bed with an oxygen mask covering his pale face.

Daehyun sat beside the bed, his eyes casted with worry and sorrow as he stared helplessly at the still figure in front of him, lying pitifully and in need of a tool to help him breathe. If only he had arrived sooner, maybe Jongup wouldn’t have ended up here, Daehyun thought.

He held the small hand tightly. Since when did Jongup’s hand become smaller than before? The illness had begun to take its toll on his body, as Jongup lost his weight and thinned gradually.

Tears piled up at the corner of his eyes but Daehyun held it as best as he could; no, he shouldn’t cry. Jongup never showed any tears all this time, he always smiled—smiled like tomorrow would never come again.

“… H-hyung..?”

The voice that called him awoke Daehyun from his train of thoughts.

“Jongup! You’re awake! How do you feel? Are you okay? Do you feel pain anywhere?” Daehyun bombarded him with endless questions as soon as the boy woke up.

“Wait here, I will call the doctor and your parents.”

But before Daehyun could move, his hand was pulled by Jongup. The younger smiled faintly and whispered an “I’m okay.” In the end Daehyun threw away his plan and stayed in the room with Jongup.

He sat still beside the bed, telling stories and basically doing anything to cheer up Jongup. First he complained about how the nurses had only given him a single bread for breakfast that morning, which wasn’t enough to satisfy his hunger. They should have known by now that Jung ‘fattie’ Daehyun had a bigger appetite than any other child his age. At last he was able to earn three more breads after a series of constant whining.

Then he told Jongup that while he was sleeping the snow was falling outside—the first snowfall of the season.

Daehyun proposed that the two of them should build a snowman, throw snowballs, or anything that could be categorized as fun to do in the snow, whenever Jongup recovered.

The latter just listened silently to Daehyun who kept rambling. He was glad at the fact that Daehyun was there all the time, waiting for him to wake up; now he was even willing to accompany him, cheering him up without being asked.

“You know Uppie, I was told by my parents that I can leave the hospital soon in 4 days. My broken leg has fully recovered like the doctor said. Now I can go play soccer again. But..” Daehyun sighed.

When Daehyun stopped Jongup reached for his hand, encouraging him to go on.

“I’m not ready to leave this place. I have quite a lot of memories here... and I’ll definitely miss being in here, though I won’t miss the food,” He laughed half-heartily.

“I can’t see you everyday anymore, but I don’t want you to be alone without me. I love every moment I spend with you Uppie. So please get better soon and go to my school and watch me play soccer. I will show you my super awesome skills and introduce you to some of my friends. Or maybe we can go to the ice cream parlor across my home. They have the best ice cream in the town; nothing can compare to it.”

Jongup laughed at Daehyun’s last words. Daehyun pouted.

“Why are you laughing Uppie? Promise me that you will get better soon okay?” He linked their fingers together as a symbol to their promise.

Their little session was interrupted by Mrs. Moon entering the room. She quickly approached them when she realized that Jongup had awoken. And just like Daehyun had before, she burst with a flood of questions as an expression of concern immediately dominated her face.

Later that night Jongup heard his parents talking about an operation during his sleep. Jongup knew well about the operation; he had heard about it before and knew that his cancer was so severe that an operation could possibly take his life away.

He had rejected the idea of surgery before. He didn’t think he should risk his life when in the end he would leave sooner or later. But after hearing how heartbroken his mom was that night, little Jongup began to reconsider. He didn’t want to make his parents sad and he still had a promise with Daehyun that he had to keep: to get better.

Jongup realized that he was just afraid that if he were to undergo the operation, he might not be able to open his eyes anymore. He was normal like other people, not by the fact that he was afraid of death, but by the fact that he was afraid of not being able to see and be with those whom he loved and cared for.

Remembering his promise with Daehyun made Jongup want to have a normal life again like the one he had before he was diagnosed with cancer. He wanted to live normally again like other kids. Go to school, play with friends; watch Daehyun play soccer was also included in the list.

For once, Jongup wanted to live.

 

“Mom, I want to do the operation.”

The shock came as fast as the words left Jongup’s mouth. Mrs. Moon was dumbfounded, the knife and apple in her hands fell to the floor.

“Jongup, do you realize what you just said? This is your life we are talking about. The doctors can’t even guarantee that you’ll survive the operation, son.”

“I know, Mom. But.. I want to live again. I will fight this cancer, and though in the end I’ll lose, at least I’ll know that I’ve tried my best to live instead of doing nothing at all.”

She cried hearing Jongup’s wish. His words were full of sincerity and determination, and he smiled through every word spoken.

 

The day Jongup received his surgery was the day Daehyun left the hospital. But Daehyun begged his parents to let him stay until Jongup’s operation was done. They couldn’t say no to their son’s pleads so they stayed.

Jongup was settled almost comfortably in his room, adorned in an operation dress, as he patiently waited for the nurses to pick him up and him to the surgical suite. He gazed outside his window as usual, searching for a star, his star, Polaris. Although it was snowing heavily outside, he could still see it amidst the snowfall.

Polaris sparkled and twinkled at him, calling him to come out and play.

He smiled at how playful Polaris was that night. “Wait for me, Polaris..”

A knock emerged from the door.

“Jongupie, let’s go now.” The nurses moved him to the bed and brought him to the operation room.

Daehyun, his parents and Jongup’s were sitting in front of the operation room. When Jongup came into his sight, Daehyun stood up quickly.

They stopped for a while before entering the room. Mrs. Moon was full of tears; she couldn’t stop sobbing as she looked at her treasured son.

“Mom, please don’t cry it hurts my heart to see you like that.”

Instead of stopping she cried even harder. She just wished that everything would be alright.

“Jongup..”

Jongup smiled when he heard his name being called by his hyung. “Yes, Dae Hyung?”

“Are you ready?”

“Truthfully I’m a little scared right now but I will do my best.”

“It’s okay to be afraid, Uppie. Don’t give up. Do your best inside there and fight with all your might. Promise me. I will wait for you here,” He patted Jongup’s hand to assure him.

“I promise, Hyung.”

Daehyun bent his body and placed a kiss on the younger’s forehead.

“Hyung loves you, Uppie..” He whispered.

Jongup didn’t say anything even though he was bursting with happiness inside. And Daehyun didn’t need to hear anything from Jongup because he knew that the latter was feeling the same. He let go of the hand as the nurses brought the patient into the operation room.

“Dae Hyung, you know why I love Polaris?” Jongup looked at the said star while smiling.

“No..why?” Daehyun asked as he took a sip from his hot chocolate.

“Because it’s the brightest star and it is from Ursa Minor.”

“Isn’t that the general truth?”

“I know, but you know Hyung. Ursa Minor means Little Bear and you look like a little bear because you are a fattie and you’re always hungry,” He giggled.

Daehyun  pouted, “Yah, I’m not a fattie.”

“But it’s true Hyung.” Now Jongup was laughing hard.

In the end Daehyun endep up laughing with him too. If Jongup liked it because of Daehyun then he was okay with it.

“From now on Polaris will be my favorite st- no it’s our star, because it’s you Dae Hyung.”

“Okay then whatever you want it to be. Now I’m Daehyun, and Daehyun is Polaris from Ursa Minor, Jongup’s little bear star.”

The memories flashed before both their eyes. It was from the time they were awaiting the meteor shower.

Daehyun stood in the corridor beside a big window looking up at the night sky. Snow fell really heavy but Polaris was still there shining brightly.

“Polaris, please protect Jongup.”

The star winkled at him as if it understood what Daehyun had said.

Inside the operation room it was cold. Jongup lied on the cold table, heart beating a tad bit faster as he could hear machines beeping and doctors and nurses moving around him. The lamp on top of him was really bright and reminded him of Polaris.

A tear rolled down his face, and he smiled faintly as the doctor injected him with a dose of anesthetics. Slowly the medicine worked on his body. His eyes got heavy and Jongup started to lose his conscience.

A whisper escaped his lips before his eyes could fully close.

 

“I love you Dae Hyung..”

 

I wished upon a shooting star

Here in this night sky,

I wished upon a shooting star

That our love will never die

 

It was snowing lightly that night. Winter was nearing its end; the month was February. But the coldness still pierced through clothes and into one’s bones. There was no sight of humans in the streets. Everyone was snuggled up in their homes, far from the harm of the cold, and trying to stay warm and comfy with thick blankets or a glass of hot chocolate. They were all gathered with family members or those they held close to their hearts.

Daehyun strolled through the park near his house. A blue-gray scarf circled around his neck. He approached one of the swings and then sat down upon it, setting down the box that he had brought along with him.

To kill his boredom Daehyun played with the swing like a little kid. It was to be 12pm in a matter of minutes, he realized as he glanced at his watch. It was like he was waiting for something.

He blew out some hot air to warm his freezing hands. Daehyun was stupid; he should have worn gloves too. But he didn’t care that much.

When the clock struck 12 he opened the white box. Inside it was a cupcake; the color was green and a bunny-like candy sat on top of it. He inserted a small candle and lighted it before singing.

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Uppie. Happy birthday to you~” He finished the song and blew off the candle.

It was Jongup’s birthday.

Daehyun looked upon the sky, there, Polaris sparkled among the other stars. But it was the brightest star. He smiled softly when Polaris winked shyly at him.

“How are you Uppie? Are you happy there? You’re not alone again right? Now you have many friends to play with.”

 

The light above the operation room was off signaling that the operation was finished. Everyone who had been waiting anxiously stood up when the doctor exited.

“H-how is the operation, Doc? How is my son?”

The doctor sighed heavily and shook his head in a  slow motion. Daehyun swore his heart stopped beating for a moment.

“We have tried our best to save him. I’m sorry.”

Tears and shrieks broke the silence that night in the long lone corridor. Mrs. Moon was bawling her eyes out, hitting her husband repeatedly as they blamed themselves for not being good parents to Jongup.

Meanwhile, Daehyun went berserk as soon as he heard it. He was yelling at the doctor to not play with them. But the answer he received was still the same one he had heard before. Unable to accept the ugly truth, Daehyun began shouting at the closed doors like a mad person, calling for Jongup to come out and stop joking.

Mrs. Jung chased after her son quickly before he could do something unexpected. She embraced him into her arms, shushing him.

“Mom, tell me this is just a joke! He’s not dead, right? He promised me that he will fight it. That he will get better! And then we will build a snowman together. He will come watch me play soccer when spring comes, and..and..a-“

 Daehyun poured all his heart out that night, his salty tears soaking the fabric of his mother’s blouse.

“Let him go, son. Just let him go..” she caressed Daehyun’s back softly.

Everyone in the hospital was in deep sorrow. They had lost the angel that was sent to them, for God had decided to take him back again.

 

“I missed you..”

 

Dear Daehyun Hyung,

Perhaps I won’t be around anymore when you read this. I’m sorry if I broke our promise but please don’t hate me. I have fought the cancer but I guess I lost. But still I’m thankful for you because you gave me hope again. You make me want to live again.

Life is like a game; sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. My time in this world has finished. Sorry if I can’t say goodbye to you, but I won’t say it because goodbye means things are over. Even though I’m not there with you, I will always be there, deep inside your heart.

Or maybe you can start searching for a star.

You know what I wished for during the meteor shower? I wished that if I were to leave this world the stars would take me so I could go up there and play with them. Now I’m ‘taller’ than you Dae Hyung *merong~* hehehe. So when it’s nighttime, don’t forget to search for me up here with Polaris and Little Bear. I will be the light that guides you and I will watch you wherever you go. You don’t have to remember me all the time. Just sometimes, as long you as you remember me, I’ll still be alive.

Hyung don’t be drowned in sadness for too long; you know I hate it. Please continue your life like usual; be happy and see the world for me. Go chase your dreams and don’t forget to share the happiness with those who need it. That’s all I’m asking for from you.

I’m really grateful that I met you Hyung. ^^

I love you Dae Hyung

 

Our one star, the most beautiful star,

The star that will never fade,

The star that will always shine,

And the one that I’ll call love

 

 

 

 


Hello! ^^ sorry for the long waiting. Here the first story of the collection, I hope you guys came prepared with tissue LOL this is my first attempt at angst theme. I hope I did it good enough. Writing an angst them was hard because I was too carried away with the emotion (I even shed a bit of tears while writing, omg I'm too emo XD) but getting good response from my editor makes me satisfied. She was bawling her eyes out while tweeting to me hahaha (Sorry Annie :p) I hope you guys like it too

I've decided the couple and the title for the 2nd story. It's the bulletproof boys XD /dancing/ the storyline is still under construction but maybe it will take a while since I have finals on early February. OMG, I have finals during B.A.P comeback stages /CRY/ life is too cruel. But still I anticipate this comeback so much and for sure I need to get the album XD thank you for reading ^^)/♥

because Daejong is too precious..