stupidity

Strange Equations

"Im Jin-ah, come out! Oppa's here to see you!"

Luhan let out a sigh, as nothing but silence greeted him. Here he was, at eight in the morning, waiting in front of the house of the girl of his dreams.

Well, at least, for now.

 Last year, he'd seduced Choi Jin-ri, a pretty hoobae that debuted as a cf model. The year before, he'd chased after Lee Yeon-hee, the school's student council president that all the boys liked. And now, he was going after Im Jin-ah, a girl a few years younger than him.

That could easily change though, especially since it was the start of a new school year.There would be a lot pretty hoobaes coming in as first years, and who knows? Maybe, amongst them, would be a girl even more attractive than Jin-ah. 

He was, if he did say so himself, blessed with good looks and a charming personality to boot. There wasn't a girl in town that hadn't heard his name before. He could make all of them swoon and squeal with excitement by winking. After all, it would only be a waste if he didn't try to charm them all. What else would be the point of being given such good looks? 

Ahem, not to be cocky or anything...

"Im Jin-ah, oppa wants to walk with school to you! Did you overslee--ow!"

He let out a yelp of pain, when a shoe smacked him right in the nose. 

"Shut up already. Are you trying to wake up the entire neighborhood?"

He rubbed his nose, giving a sheepish, nervous smile to his attacker. "Ah, Im Yoona. You're the same as you were last year, aren't you?" 

Oh, Im Yoona. Where was he supposed to begin with her? What could he possibly say about the school's leader, a tough girl that could have people quaking in fear with just a glare? Even with her thin frame and doe-like eyes, she easily had the presence of someone that would shed blood if she wanted to. And now, that's exactly what it seemed like. 

The biggest obstacle to winning Jin-ah's heart wasn't that she ignored him half of the time Or that her father used to be in the military. Or even that she seemed to have a thing going on with that Wu Yifan kid. 

It was that Im Yoona was her older sister.

A very, very scary older sister.

"Are you still bothering Jin-ah these days?"

He jumped. "N-no! I mean...not bothering her, exactly. I'm just trying to be friendly!"

She turned and fixated her stare on him. "And your idea of friendly involves coming to our house and being loud on the first day of school?"

He fidgeted. Oh, craaaap. He really didn't want to get any further on Yoona's bad side. He already knew she didn't like him, but he didn't want to be hated enough to get hit or something. What if she striked him on the face? 

"Unni, it's okay." Luhan had never been more grateful to see Jin-ah. The fair-skinned girl walked out, her bag slung over her shoulder, as she shot him an annoyed look.

"Good morning, oppa."

"Jin-ah! You've gotten prettier since I've last seen you!" 

"...You literally saw me yesterday."

"Details, details," Luhan snorted, brushing her off, as the three of them started to walk to school. "In any case, did you meet that Yifan kid again? I thought I saw him going to your house a few days ago."

Yoona rolled her eyes. "How is that any of your business? He seems like a much nicer boy than you."

"Aha! So he was at your house!"

Jin-ah flushed a deep red. "He was. Because I'm dating him now."

That had Luhan stopping in his tracks. "You're what!?"

"Dating him. We have been for about two weeks now. So, oppa, I think you should find another girl," Jin-ah replied confidently.

Luhan let out a dramatic cry. "This school year is starting off with a tragedy. Jin-ah, you were prettiest girl I'd ever laid my eyes on. Tall, slender, and beautiful..."

"You said the same thing about Jin-ri last year," Yoona grumbled.

"Of course. Jin-ri was the prettiest girl I'd ever laid my eyes on. That is, until I met you, Jin-ah..." Luhan sighed. "Ah, if I had known that our school's jjang had such a pretty sister, I would have obeyed her every comma--"

He didn't get to finish his sentence, when Yoona elbowed him swiftly in the stomach. Instead, he was left howling in pain, as Jin-ah, knowing how hard her sister could hit, tried to help him. 

Meanwhile, the attacker, Yoona herself, walked on, her hands stuffed in the pockets of her uniform jacket. 

What the two failed to notice, however, was the barely concealed expression of hurt on her face. 

-------

"Welcome back everyone! Are you excited for the new school year?"

The class erupted into yells of, 'yes!' and 'no!' and with a laugh, the teacher quieted them down. 

Yoona sat in the far back corner of the room, her hand against her chin with her elbow propped up. She stared out the window, her mind solely focused on the fact that Luhan and Jin-ah were walking to school together. 

And, Luhan hadn't arrived to class yet.

If she really was a good person, she should've been wondering about her younger sister, who may or may have not been, corrupted by Luhan and lead to skip school. But she knew Jin-ah well, and Jin-ah was not the kind of person to be swayed by temptations. Especially since she had Yifan as her boyfriend anyway.

However, her mind was more occupied with the idea that Luhan wasn't at class yet. And his reason for not being there probably involved a girl. Most likely, a pretty one. 

She was temporarily snapped out of her thoughts when someone took the seat next to her. Glancing sideways, she noted, with irritation, that it was Kai, the school's other 'jjang' (though, really, he couldn't beat her), with his gelled up hair and tanned skin.

"Sit somewhere else," She hissed.

"Why? Is your long-time crush, pretty boy going to sit here?" She kicked him under the desk for that comment. "In case you haven't noticed, the only seats left were by you, Oh Sehun, or Hwang Miyoung. And I detest Oh Sehun and Hwang Miyoung. Besides, we'll be getting a seating chart soon, so it won't matter."

"Whatever," Yoona remarked quietly. "Just don't talk to me."

"Don't worry. I won't bother your thoughts of pretty boy Luhan."

"I'm seriously going to rip your eyelids out if you say another word."

Kai opened his mouth to reply, when the classroom door swung open and Luhan strided in, a bright smile on his face.

"Xi Luhan, it's the first day of school and you came late. Let's hear your excuse," The teacher said with a sigh. 

Luhan chuckled. "You know, enjoying the nature. The sun. The grass. All of that."

"You're as hilarious as ever, aren't you? Stay after during class."

Luhan grimaced at the teacher's blatant annoyance. "Can't you cut me some slack? It's the first day of school and I swear I wasn't late because I was doing anything indecent..."

Yoona made a face at that. Oh, of course you weren't. You big, fat liar.

"We'll discuss this matter later. Take a seat already. I have a big announcement to make."

Luhan, who took this as a good sign, grinned as he plopped down in the seat by Miyoung. Yoona noted, with annoyance, that he instantly began to speak to the girl beside him, smiling at her. He was probably complimenting her ugly face and her ugly hair and that ugly necklace she was wearing. Her hands squeezed into tight fists as she imagined how their conversation was probably going.

Perhaps, she had severe jealousy problems...

"Are you constipated or something? Why are you clenching your fists like that?" Kai commented, scoffing.

"I'm perfectly fine," She replied through gritted teeth. 

"I have some exciting news to share with you all. We have a new student!"

Murmurs of excitement and anticipation spread like wildfire around the classroom and everyone stared back at the teacher eagerly.

At that moment, the door opened, and a tall girl with long, dark brown hair walked in. She had big, shining eyes and fair, clear skin. Her hair was adorned with a white headband and even from Yoona's perspective, she looked to be quite the beauty, like a princess popped out of a fairytale.

The class was left stunned speechless at her appearance.

"Why don't you introduce yourself?'

The girl smiled shyly. "Hello, my name's Seohyun. I was studying abroad in Japan for the past three years. I hope I can get along with everyone." 

"Fake," Kai muttered under his breath, while the rest of the boys erupted into enthusiastic cheers.

"Why? I think she's kind of cute," Yoona reprimanded him.

"Yeah, well knowing she's kind of cute, you can easily assume who's going to go after her, can't you?"

Yoona couldn't even bring herself to reply. True to Kai's words, Luhan was gazing at Seohyun with that same lovesick stare he had when he was ready to seduce another girl. She had seen it before, with Jin-ri and with her younger sister, Jin-ah. 

The gaze that she had seen so many times had never once been directed towards her.

"Settle down, everyone! I understand that you're all excited, but there's still the seating chart I have to annouce."

"First off, in the front row, farthest to the right, Seohyun and Luhan."

Yoona's heart sank. Of course the teacher had to be stupid enough to put them next to each other. This was the perfect situation for Luhan to get her to fall for him And judging by how innocent Seohyun seemed, she'd probably fall for him immediately. At least, when Luhan had been pursuing Jin-ah, she was assured that he would never succeed in his seduction.

But now, it looked like he'd end up actually dating Seohyun...

The teacher continued to read off names, but she paid no attention to that. 

All of the girls Luhan pursued during the school year were generally very pretty. That was a given, but none of them really matched up to Seohyun. Seohyun was also pretty like them, but her presence and atmosphere were unique. Like she really was a princess from a fairytale or a refined, elegant heiress.

This was a disaster. The true tragedy of the school year.

It simply couldn't get any worse.

"In the back row, to the far right, Yoona and Kai."

Of course she was wrong. As usual.

She turned to glare at Kai, who scowled at her in response.

"I'm just as thrilled as you are about this arrangement," He remarked, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

Yup, the school year was off to a great start...

-------

"Am I ugly?"

Kai blinked, turned, and faced Yoona at the abrupt question coming from her at the end of class Actually, the fact that she was talking to him in itself was pretty surprising. Usually, he'd be the one to make a smart comment at her, and then get socked in the face. Maybe a new school year meant a new personality for her?

"Why? Did someone call you ugly or something?"

"If they did, do you think they'd still be alive by now?"

Kai nodded in agreement, but then replied, "Then, why are you asking?"

Ignoring his question, Yoona let out an unusually solemn sigh, pulling her hair up in a messy bun shape. "Maybe I should change my hairstyle. I could tie it up into a bun tomorrow...or maybe I should just get it cut short."

"Did you take drugs or somethi -- ow!" Kai yelped when she pinched him on the arm. "Since when have you cared about the way you looked!?"

She glared at him. "Then, am I not allowed to care about my looks like other girls? Am I not allowed to change my hairstyle and want to look prettier? Huh? Is that so wrong?"

It's wrong because you look perfect the way you are.

"Yeah, of course it's wrong! Do you know how ridiculous you look right now?" Kai retorted. "Just stay the way you are now. If you change your hairstyle, you'll only get uglier."

Strange how the things that came out of his mouth completely contradicted what his mind said...

Yoona flung her fist at his face and hit him squarely in the jaw. He probably would've registered the pain more, if he didn't feel so idiotic for being unable to say how he truly felt.

How long had he been in love with her by now? A good total of seven years. Seven years had went by, and they were still the same. Him trying to get her attention in stupid ways and her beating him up for doing so. Why was it so hard for him to just say all the things he wanted to? That she was more than pretty, even when she was fighting. That Luhan didn't deserve someone like her. That he would treat her like a princess.

"Do you really have to smile that much?"

Startled from his thoughts at her soft-spoken words, Kai snapped his head up to follow her gaze, which was pointedly focused on Luhan, who, to no one's surprise, was chatting up Seohyun.

Yoona's gaze was uncharacteristically vulnerable and fragile, and it struck a wave of annoyance in Kai.

"He's not going to fall in love with you."

Her gaze broke away from Luhan immediately, and she stared at him in surprise. "I-I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not in love with anyone!"

He scoffed. "Of course. That's why you were staring at pretty boy to the point where he'd get a hole in his face. And I'm sure you want to sock that transfer student at this point."

"Yah, Kim Kai, you might be looking down on me because it's the start of the school year, but don't forget that I stuffed your head down a toilet last year," Yoona threatened. "If you can't remember, do you want a repeat of the situation?"

At this, Kai shut his mouth. He didn't like the idea of 'losing' against her, but he definitely didn't want a repeat of the toilet incident...

And Yoona, even as she insisted that she wasn't in love with anyone (namely Luhan), couldn't stop her gaze from lingering on Seohyun and Luhan.

The school year was off to the worst start.

--------

He only likes her because she's pretty.

Beauty doesn't go a long way anyway.

Yoona chanted the words in her head over and over again that night at dinner. She tried to focus on eating her dinner and what her sister and father were saying, but that was easier said than done.

Stop it. No more wondering about Luhan, and whether he's with Seohyun right now.

Throughout the entire school day, Luhan had trailed after her. Offering to show her around the school, introduce her to new people, and even take her out for a meal, since she had been in Japan for such a long time. Yoona was used to him chasing after new girls in that way, but this time, it felt different.

Seohyun was different.

"Ah, that reminds me! Unni, your class got a new transfer student, right? I heard she's pretty..."

"She's not!" She exclaimed at Jin-ah's sudden comment. "I mean, yes, she's pretty...but she's not all that! Well, actually, she is all that because she seems like royalty, but that doesn't mean anything!"

Taken aback, Jin-ah stared at her in confusion. "Unni, are you okay? That's the most you've said this entire time."

Her dad snickered. "Your unni appears to be jealous. Not that I blame her though. Even in my time, when there was one really pretty girl, all the other ones were jealous of her."

"Appa!" Yoona yelled. 

"Now that I think about it, that seems right," Jin-ah mused. "Since unni has a crush on Luhan-oppa, who was chasing after that girl throughout the whole day today."

"Wha..? That's not true!"

"Which part? The part about you having a crush or the part about him chasing after that girl?" Her dad asked.

"Neither. They're both true," Jin-ah answered dismissively. "Unni's been pining after him for a while now."

Yoona, knowing that she couldn't wiggle her way out of this situation, grumbled, "How do you know this? It shouldn't have been obvious."

Jin-ah rolled her eyes. "Unni, I'm more surprised that he doesn't know. It's true that you don't treat him the way most girls would treat their crush, but think about it. Before, when he was trying to seduce me, you tried to scare him off with warnings. If it were any other guy, you would've had them beheaded already."

"That's a lie! I treated Yifan so nicely --"

Her dad snorted. "Nicely, my . I'm the one that's supposed to be the overprotective father, but you were harsher and stricter than I was. Making the poor boy sit on his knees and having him swear on his life not to hurt Jin-ah."

"Okay, okay! So I was kind of scary. So what? What's the point of this conversation except to give me endless humiliation?" Yoona snapped.

Jin-ah sighed, crossing her arms. "My point is that it's already your last year of high school. After graduation, who knows when you'll see Luhan again? This year is your last chance to make a move."

"M-make a move?"

"Aish, why is this girl so ignorant about these things?" Their dad complained. "She's saying that this is your chance to seduce him! Don't wait for him to do something, go after him yourself!"

"That's right!" Jin-ah exclaimed. "What year are we living in? It's old-fashioned to think that the guy always has to make the first move. How do you think I got Yifan? I made the first move!"

"Your mom was the first one to ask me out too!"

"That transfer student doesn't seem like an easy opponent. You've got to gain the upper hand by making the first move," Jin-ah urged on. "You don't know it yourself, unni, but you have the potential to beat her, no matter how pretty she is."

"Are you sure? I don't think this is a good idea..."

"Just trust me! I'm going to call Luhan-oppa and ask him to walk with us to school tomorrow. Then, we'll carry out our first plan, okay?"

Yoona paused, feeling a bit hesitant to say yes. But noticing the enthusiastic stares from her dad and sister, she decided that it wouldn't hurt to try. After all, she couldn't back down without even putting up a fight.

"Okay."

--------

A/N: So, here's the first chapter! Hopefully, it wasn't too bad? This chapter was mainly Yoona and Kai-focused, but I promise to include more Luhan and Seohyun next chapter. And don't worry, Seohyun's character won't be as bland as it seems like she's going to be. Her character also has a twist! :)

I'd also like to say that the pairings aren't finalized yet. As of now, I have no idea who I'd like to pair up with who by the end. 

Thank you for reading and any comments are much appreciated! ^^