A Casual Discussion

Out on a Limb

 

"Doesn't anyone else think it's a bit strange?"

I was sitting at lunch with my closest friends, having to speak over the constant murmuring roar of the high school cafeteria. We were all seniors, so while all the underclassmen were still waiting in line to get their food, we had already claimed our normal table and were discussing different things over the spaghetti that had been served.

"What's so strange, Elle?" my friend Jamye asked from the seat to her right, her full red-brown hair falling into her face as usual. She was dressed in her normal style, and sometimes she was so hipster it sort of scared me. But only sort of, since she was my closest friend.

"I can't be the only one wondering how six foreign exchange students, all from Korea, ended up in the exact same school in the exact same small town in central Georgia," I replied, speaking to the whole table.

After I said this, all of my friends casually turned to glance at a table about three tables over diagonally from ours where a group of six boys sat together, only conversing with each other and seeming to ignore the rest of the student population.

The reason they stood out so much was that the town where we lived was so small that everyone had basically grown up together, in some way or another, and there were very few newcomers. Foreign exchange students were normal enough, but it was usually only one or two and they were normally from English-learning European countries. Because of that, these six boys had caused quite a stir the first two weeks of school. A lot of the talk had died down now, a couple of weeks later, but there was something about them that made me wonder how they had ended up there, of all places.

"I don't see what it really matters," Jasper said, smirking as he did. "All that's important is that a couple of them are really attractive, and they're exotic, so that's a huge plus too."

"Shut up, Jasper!" I said, laughing at him with everyone else. He was in one of his less-than-straight moods, which wasn't uncommon since he had come out as biual the year before.

There was a pause then, before my friend on the other side of Jamye piped up. "You know who they remind me of?" Erica said, eyeing the table of boys.

"Hm?" I replied, spinning some spaghetti around my fork as I listened.

She looked at them for another moment before saying, "One of those k-pop groups you always talk about, Elle."

"Yes!" I agreed, pointing my fork at her for emphasis. "They're like an even more attractive version of INFINITE or BIGBANG. It's so weird!"

"Are you saying that you think someone is more attractive than G-Dragon?!" Jamye gasped, feigning shock.

"I don't know... That Kris guy sits behind me in my physics class, and he's, ah, pretty attractive, in my opinion." I felt my cheeks flush a bit as I said so, so I quickly dropped my gaze to the spaghetti noodles on my tray and hoped no one would notice.

"Aww!" Jasper whined. "He's the one I had my eye on! You think he's straight?!"

"Jasper, even if he is, I guarantee at least one of them isn't," Jamye said.

"They speak fluent Mandarin too," said Sam, our only Asian friend at the table.

"Oh yeah! Sam, don't you have a class with two of them or something?" I said, looking at him eagerly.

"Yeah, calculus. I think it's Luhan and Chen. They switch between it and Korean, but I can only understand their Mandarin. One of the faults of America, I suppose: not enough opportunity to learn other Asian languages."

"Sounds like Sammy is a little jea-louuus," I said in a sing-song voice. 

Sam was sitting on my left and he looked at me with a glint in his eye before lightly pushing me. I immediately acted as if I was going to fall out of my chair.

"Sammy, why are you so mean to me?" I asked, sort of whining.

He didn't look up from the homework he was working on as he replied, "Because that's how our relationship works. Duh."

"Don't speak of other relationships, husband!" Jamye said to him around me.

"Yes, dear," he replied, his tone dripping in sarcasm as he rolled his eyes.

As the two of them continued their banter, I glanced toward the table of foreigners again, easily picking out Kris as he was taller than all the others. But as I watched him for another moment, his head moved upward slightly, as if he was going to look up, and I quickly moved my attention back to my friends, hoping I hadn't caught his attention.

What I didn't realize was that I hadn't been quite fast enough.

 

 

( Hi everyone! This is my first story on here, and I know the first chapter is really short, but I hope you enjoy it, and I promise to post another, longer chapter within the next day or so! Love you all, enjoy this EXO-M fan-fiction!)