Final

I almost gave up.

“Jinri!” Jongin called.

Jinri turned around to see an eager Jongin running up to her.

“Guess what, guess what, GUESS WHAT?!” yelled Jongin.

Jinri chuckled at the sight, “what?”

“I finally asked Soojung out!” Jongin jumped about in excitement.

Jinri’s heart dropped. She still put a smile on her face so she wouldn’t ruin the mood, “and did she say yes?”

“Duh! Do you think I’d be this happy if she didn’t?! Oh my god, I can’t believe she said yes!” Jongin stands there with a giddy smile on his face, while Jinri is faking hers.

“I’m happy for you Jongin, glad you built up the courage to finally do it!” Jinri playfully slapped him on the back.

-

That was the day Jinri’s heart broke, and stayed that way for months.

-

Only months after that day, things were no longer the same between Jinri and Jongin. Jongin spent all his days with Soojung, barely sparing any time for his lovely Jinri. Jinri understood. Obviously he’s going to want to spend all his time with Soojung, she is his girlfriend after all. But that didn’t make Jinri feel any less lonely than she did.

Jinri could handle a little less Jongin in her life, but all of a sudden, he stopped talking to her. He barely gave her the time of day anymore, and Jinri missed having Jongin in her life.

-

“Hey Jinri?” Soojung said.

Jinri turned around, “hmm?”

“Stay away from Jongin,” Soojung said, immediately getting to her point.

Jinri was at a shock, and confused. Why was she suddenly asking her to stay away from Jongin? She knows the two are best friends.

“I don’t like you being around him, he gives all his attention to you, and he always looks at you in this way that I don’t like. Please, just stay away,” Soojung continued.

Jinri didn’t understand. In what way does Jongin look at her? What happened to the sweet Soojung she used to know? Why is she acting like this?

“That’s all for now, bye Jinri.” Soojung walked away.

Jinri stared at the direction Soojung was walking. What on earth just happened?

-

Jongin missed having Jinri in his life; he couldn’t not talk to her every time he saw her in the halls. It killed him when they walked past each other as if they were strangers. He couldn’t stand it anymore, and eventually welcomed Jinri back into his life.

-

Jinri finds this whole situation peculiar. Jongin is talking to her, as if nothing had happened between them. She had spent countless nights staying awake, frustrated, angered by what happened between them, just because of Soojung. She has stupidly cried about how stupid everything was, how much her heart hurt, and how she just wants her old Jongin back. Now all of a sudden he is back, acting like nothing happened. It angers her.

-

Jinri was reading in the school garden, when Jongin sits down next to her.

“Hey pal, how’s it goin’?” asked Jongin.

Jinri scoffed, “How’s it going? How’s it going? After months of not speaking to me, that’s all you have to ask? Not to mention that you only did that because of Soojung? I can’t believe you.” She shuts her book and gets up to leave, when Jongin grabs her wrist.

“W-wait, how’d you know?”

Jinri pulls her wrist away from him and crosses her arms.

“How did I know? What, not even an, “I’m sorry Jinri?” If you must know, your little Soojung asked me to stay away from you. I’m not dumb, I put together the puzzle pieces Jongin, it was obvious.”

Jongin looks down ashamed and says, “I’m sorry Jinri.” He looks up at her, “I’m so so sorry. It’s just, Soojung and I only recently started dating so I didn’t want to lose her.”

“Oh, so you’d rather lose me, your best friend for five years, over a girl who you only started dating seven months ago? I see how it is,” Jinri proceeds to walk away.

Jongin gets up and runs after Jinri, pulling her into his arms. Jinri’s heart flutters at his touch.

“I’m really sorry, you have no idea, how big of a mistake that was. I missed you way too much, and I regret it. A lot. Please forgive me, will you?”

This is when Jinri gets angry at herself, because she could never stay mad at Jongin, ever.

“I forgive you.”

-

Everything was starting to fall into place, things were returning back to normal. Almost.

-

Jongin had invited Jinri out to the mall, to pick out an anniversary gift for Soojung.

Jongin picked up a stuffed animal, “would this be good?”

“Jee, I don’t know Jongin, would it?” replied Jinri sarcastically.

“Hey, stop it! I really don’t know what to get her!” said Jongin.

“Just get her something she’ll love. Or just anything, she’ll probably like whatever you give her,” said Jinri.

Jongin rolled his eyes and found something that caught his eye. Instead of giving it to Soojung though, it reminded him a lot of Jinri. He smiled and looked at Jinri, knowing she would love it, and went to buy it for her.

-

Jinri was opening her locker while Jongin was telling her how perfect his and Soojung’s anniversary date went, when suddenly a letter fell out. Jongin kept talking while Jinri zoned him out and picked up the letter.

“What kind of letter is this?” She thought. She opened the letter and read the contents inside. Jongin took a glance at Jinri and saw that she had a letter in her hand.

“Oooooooh, Jinri, what’s this?” He snatched the letter away from her and started to read it, only to realize it was someone confessing to her. Jongin felt a pang in his heart, but he didn’t know why.

He gave the letter back, “Looks like Oh Sehun’s got a little crush on you,” and winked.

Jinri blushed a little when he said that, and Jongin still felt his heart aching.

-

Sehun and Jinri seemed to have hit things off well, considering that the dates they have been going on have been successful. On the other hand, Jongin and Soojung were starting to have a few problems in their relationship.

-

Jongin and Soojung were in the middle of an argument, once again.

“I don’t like how you’ve been around Jinri so much!” yelled Soojung.

Jongin sighed, not this again, he thought.

“Look, Jinri and I are just friends, why can’t you understand that?”

“You’re always with her though, we rarely hang out together. Do you not like me anymore?” asked Soojung.

“We see each other every day Soojung, and of course I do, what makes you think I don’t?” questioned Jongin.

“Every time you’re with her, I always see this twinkle in your eyes. You look at her with love, and not in the way friends do.”

Jongin stayed quiet. Did he really look at her that way?

Soojung sighed, “Jongin, I think we should break up. It’s obvious that you like Jinri more than a friend, although you’re lying to yourself about it, and things aren’t really working out between us anyway.”

Soojung gave Jongin a kiss on the cheek, and walked away from him.

Maybe Soojung was right, Jongin thought.

-

Jongin walked into school, heading towards Jinri’s locker, when he saw her talking to Sehun. His heart started to ache, and he realized then that his heart has always belonged to Jinri, even when he was dating Soojung.

He walked towards Jinri and said, “Hey, can we talk?”

Jinri looked at him and nodded. Jongin grabbed Jinri’s hand and took her to the school’s garden.

“So uhm, Jinri, I don’t know how to say this but uhm, IreallyreallylikeyouandIwaswonderingifyou’dwanttogooutwithme?” Jongin said quickly.

Jinri blinked repeatedly.

“Please say that again, I didn’t catch that?”

Jongin took a deep breath and said, “I really, really, like you, and I was wondering if you’d want to go out with me?”

Jinri was shocked once again. This was definitely unexpected to her. Just the other day she was absolutely sure that Jongin had no interest in her, and tried moving on with Sehun, even though it didn’t work, but here right in front of her, was Jongin confessing.

Jongin waved his hand in front of her face, “Hello? Earth to Jinri?”

“W-where is this all of a sudden coming from?” asked Jinri.

“The other day, Soojung and I had a fight. She figured out that I liked you, way before I even realized it myself, and we broke up. Seeing as you and Sehun were starting to become an item, I had to confess to you before it was too late. So, whaddua say?”

Jinri smiled and said, “Yes.”

Jongin lifted Jinri off the ground and spun her around, in excitement. He put her on the ground and gave her a quick peck, “I’m so glad you said yes.”

Jinri blushed.

-

word count: 1500

author's note;

yah idk I think that’s where I’ll leave it for now. my sincere apologies if this was , honestly I had an idea where I wanted this to go, but I think I messed it up and oh well. here’s the final result, and I hope you all enjoyed it anyway. btw, merry christmas all :-)

-lostinsecurities