거리.

Distance.

The sky was slashed boldly with red and orange, and a few dashes of blue and purple can be seen. A man in his mid-twenties was sitting alone outside a small café by an empty road in London. With a cup of coffee on his table, the man reclined on the chair, holding a worn out Polaroid in his hand.

Looking at the faded Polaroid, Minho sighed.

It has been two years since he left Korea to pursue his studies in the UK, according to his family’s wishes. There wasn’t much to argue, since his family was persistent for him to further his studies overseas. He had just finished college in Korea, and there was nothing holding him back.

Almost nothing.

While he was in college, he met the most amazing person in his life. A freshmen in that point of time, Lee Taemin has the attention of many in the college. Known as a prodigy in both studies and also his dancing skills, coupled with a pretty face, he attracted the attention of both males and females in the college. Minho was in his third year of college, and was being rather popular himself, having the attention of many girls. So it was no surprise when fan wars started breaking out between supporters for the both of them. Yet, amidst the commotion of the fan wars, Minho and Taemin became best friends.

A few months into college, they fell for each other. After Taemin confessed, they started going out, and soon became the star couple on campus. Although they had many wonderful memories together, the fun came to an end as Minho graduated and went to London.

Even after two years in London, Minho never forgot the day he departed.

“Hyung, you’ll do well right?”

“Stupid. Of course I will. I’m more worried about you.”

“Hyung, I’ll be fine.” smiled the kid.

“Look, I have something I need to tell you.” Gathering all of his courage, Minho said. “I’m going to be away for a long time, and… I know it’s gonna be hard to maintain a long distance relationship.”

“Hyung…?”

Ignoring the pain in his chest, he continued, “If you ever find someone better than me, then go to that person.”

“Hyung! You know I would never-”

“Taemin-ah, you don’t have to answer me now. Just know that no matter what choice you make, all I want is for you to be happy.”

Minho smiled bitterly after remembering what happened. Even though he had said that to Taemin two years ago, he couldn’t forget how it felt to see the look of betrayal that flashed past his face.

“Hyung, we’ll make it work. I know we will.” Taemin had said with determination. So with a small smile on his face, Minho hugged Taemin before going into the departure hall.

“Thank you.”

Minho then started college in London, and amidst studying and getting used to life in a foreign country, he and Taemin called and texted each other daily.

However, as days passed, then weeks, then months, their communication grew weaker. Taemin texted lesser, and hardly called at all, and Minho had schoolwork to worry about. After one and a half year, they stopped getting in touch with each other. So it came as a surprise when Minho suddenly received a letter from Taemin a few days ago.

He smiled in excitement, because it has been such a long time since he heard from Taemin. He tore open the letter with happy anticipation, only to find a small piece of paper fluttering out of the envelope. He was disappointed, only slightly, because of the length of the letter, but nothing could compare to the shock he got when he read the letter.

 

 ‘Hyung, I don’t think that this should continue anymore.”

He wasn’t sure if that was real, and he read and re-read the letter so many times till it became soft and crumpled. He couldn’t believe what he had read, not even when he read it so many times, because even after not contacting each other for half a year, even after separating for two years, even after what he said to Taemin two years ago, he had thought that Taemin would always wait for him.

He wouldn’t call him, not after what happened. They both didn’t need reminders that what they had was lost. Minho certainly didn’t want to know how Taemin was faring.

Now, alone at the café, Minho tried to sort out his thought. If Taemin found someone better, it means that he needs to let go, that he should let go. His heart burned in despair as he took one last look at the Polaroid. It was something they took on their first date. Taemin was smiling brightly while Minho was making a funny face because he was about to sneeze. Due to the constant meddling, the Polaroid had faded slightly, and the edges are scratched and dirty. It was one of his fondest treasure, one he always brought around with him. Wiping away at the stubborn tear sliding down his face, he left the Polaroid on the table and left.

Pain writhed through him as he walked away.

One step.

He struggled against the hot tears threatening to fall.

Two steps.

The darkness that settled over the fiery London sky hid the tears fell freely down his face.

Ten steps.

Twenty steps.

Soon, the man melted into the picturesque landscape.