Migraine

The Hurt and the Comfort that Follows

Chapter 1 – Migraine.

Baekho knew as soon as Ren got out of bed that morning that something was wrong with the Maknae, he was too quiet, too compliant, too...un-Renish. He, Aron, JR and Minhyun were already sat at the table when their youngest blonde had left the room he slept in, and sharing a quick glance to the other members, he knew they’d noticed something wrong also.

“Morning hyungs.” He greeted in a low voice, his long hair still sticking up in awkward directions from the tossing and turning he always did in bed. That kid had never been able to stay still, even in sleep. JR and Minhyun grunted their greetings, they were not happy to be awake.

“Morning Minki,” Baekho grinned up at him, his mouth full of the pancakes that Aron had made for them.

“Good morning, Ren-ah, would you like some pancakes?” Aron smiled over, motioning to the plate of freshly cooked pancakes sat on the counter of their dorm.

Ren could almost feel his stomach churn horribly at the thought of food, the pounding in his head only intensifying. He shook his head lightly, flinching as the pain in his head only spiked from the movement.

Baekho frowned slightly, allowing the usually beautiful grin to drop. “Ren? Are you alright?”

The younger  blonde cursed slightly under his breath, he’d hoped they wouldn’t notice the pain he was in. “I’m fine,” He lied, giving his hyung a small smile. “It’s just a small headache.”

JR, hearing this despite his gloom at having to have gotten out of his nice warm bed, looked up, instantly going into leader mode. “You have a headache? Are you alright? Will you be okay to go to Dance Rehearsal?”

Ren sighed, rubbing his forehead lightly with his fingers. This had been exactly the reason he’d hoped they wouldn’t notice his pain. “I’m fine, hyung. It’s just a small headache, I’m fine to go to practice. After all, we have a show soon, I can’t afford to fall behind. I’m already the worst in the group at this dance.”

“Ren-ah! Don’t think like that, Manager-sshi was wrong when he said that, you know the Sleep Talking routine better than any of us!” Minhyun exclaimed from his chair by the table, his words slightly muffled by the thick, syrup crusted pancakes in his mouth.

Aron sighed a little. “Minhyun, don’t speak with your mouth full...”

“Sorryyyyy.”

“Ren-ah, what Minhyun said was right though. You’re doing fine, taking today off wouldn’t be a problem you know. If you’re sick...”

“I’m not sick.” Ren snapped, glaring slightly at his hyungs. Seeing their shocked faces, Ren looked down slightly, quickly apologising for snapping at them.

“You’re sick.” JR simply stated before standing, walking over to their youngest, placing a hand on his forehead, much to Ren’s displeasure. “Hmm, no fever though..”

“That’s because I’m NOT sick.” Ren pointed out, huffing and leaning away from the offending hand. “Can we just go?” He asked, giving the best puppy dog eyes he could muster to his other band members.

“Ren, you haven’t eaten yet, you need to have energy if you’re determined to rehearse.” Baekho pointed out, causing the others to frown. Ren just glared back at him. The issue was soon dropped. “Fine,” Baekho sighed, running a hand through his not-quite-styled Mohawk.

JR quickly piped in. “Most of us are ready to go, may as well get there early and get more practice in. But go get changed first, Ren, you look a mess.”

Ren frowned at the comment, but turned and headed back into the room. As soon as the door closed securely behind him, Ren fell ungracefully to his knees, slender fingers digging into his temples in a vain attempt to make the horrendous pounding cease. He could feel his nails cutting into the sensitive flesh of the area, but that did nothing to distract him from the elephant that seemed to be pounding around on his brain.

Taking a deep breath and blinking away the multicoloured spots that had appeared in his vision, Ren calmed himself and got to his feet. It was a headache, just a simple headache. He’d had worse. Quickly changing into some slack, loose clothes for practicing in and running a comb through his hair, tying it behind him as normal, Ren left the room, planting a small smile on his face to stop his hyungs worrying about the headache they’d witnessed just a small part of.

The other four members that made up Nu’est were standing at the door, their bags hung against their shoulders while bundled up in scarves, hats and gloves, ready to take on the bitterly cold winter of Seoul. “Ready, Ren?” Minhyun asked, grinning through his scarf. “Better wrap up warm! It’s cold out there!”

Ren pulled on a coat due to recommendation, JR throwing a scarf his way and Baekho pulling a hat over his pounding head. He frowned a little at the overprotectiveness of his hyungs. “I can look after myself you know...” He grumbled, causing Baekho to stick his tongue out.

“Let us dote on you, Renny, while you’re not feeling well!” Minhyun pouted, before opening the door and leaving the complex in which their dorm was contained.

It didn’t take long before they were at the studio where they practiced their routines, taking off their coats, hats, scarves, gloves and other protective, heat-keeping gear once they entered the warm building, entering the dance room with mirrors covering one wall, the floor smooth wood. Aron placed the CD into the CD player by the door while the others got into position, the music for their newest single, Sleep Talking, began, Aron scrambling to get into position.

With every head bob in time to the music, the pain in Ren’s head intensified. It felt as though his brain was smacking against the front of his skull, which had somehow morphed into a point, with every nod. Tears sprung to his rapidly blurring vision and his stomach churned uncomfortably, a lump forming in his throat.

Oh god, He thought to himself, staying on the floor while the others jumped to their feet to continue the dance. I’m going to puke.

He could already feel his stomach rejecting what little was in his stomach, and he knew he wouldn’t be able to make it to the bathrooms down the hall. Sprinting as far as he could, pretty much to the other side of the room, he emptied the contents of his small stomach with horrible gags and retches, drawing the other boys from their dance routine.

“Ren-ah!” A voice exclaimed, but Ren couldn’t pinpoint exactly who it was. His vision was swimming, the bright lights of the studio feeling like daggers, but his left eye had gone blank. He couldn’t see out of it, and he was beginning to panic. His breaths came out in short, shallow yet quick gasps, vaguely he felt a hand rubbing against his back, attempting to be soothing, but every touch burned. His gasps of pain increased, he couldn’t think straight, his head hurt so badly, he could barely see through the flashes of pain that made his eyes feel like they were going to explode. His stomach churned, he squeezed his eyes closed, trying in vain to make the room stop flashing and his head stop hurting.

He couldn’t remember anything after that.

---------------------

“Ren? Ren-ah? Can you hear me? Wake up, Ren, come on, come back to us...”

A soft voice pulled Ren back into consciousness, along with a consistent tapping on his cheek. Slowly but surely, Ren pried his eyes open, whimpering weakly as the harsh light stabbed his retinas, sending bolts of pain through his mind.

“Minhyun-ah, could you turn the lights off for me please?” He heard the voice again addressing one of his bandmates. Slowly peering up at the person who had woken him from blissful unconsciousness, the face of Baekho swam into focus.

“Baekho-hyung...?” Ren asked sleepily, wincing as the sound of his own voice assaulted his mind even more.

“Shh, shh Ren just relax, you fainted, just keep calm you’re okay..” JR reassured from beside Baekho, Ren hadn’t even noticed his leader until now. He had never noticed in the past how soothing JR’s deep voice could be on his pounding head.

“My head hurts really bad...”

“Oh, so you’re not being all high and mighty now about your ‘little headache’?” Aron mocked, earning a hard elbow to the ribs from Baekho.

“You have a Migraine,” Baekho told his Maknae, running his large, warm hand soothingly through Ren’s sweaty hair. “Don’t worry, we’re going back to the dorm really soon, we just wanted to wait for you to wake up first. You really scared us there...”

“Do we need to call an ambulance?” JR asked, trying to mask the concern in his voice while staring over Ren’s pale and shaky figure, trying to ignore the way his eyes were hardly focused and he seemed to flinch at every little sound.

“I don’t think so, he just needs sleep... let’s get him back...” Baekho muttered, trying to keep his voice low and quiet.

“But how will we do that without causing him a load of pain?” Minhyun asked the others, who simply looked at each other. They hadn’t thought of that.

“Ah!” Aron exclaimed, hurrying over to where his bag lay, pulling out a black sleeping mask and ear plugs.

“...Why do you have them in your rehearsal stuff, Aron?” JR asked, looking mildly irritated.

“You know, sometimes a dude has got to sleep.. hey don’t scold me, they’re being helpful here!” Aron grinned before hurrying over to their unfocused, quiet Maknae, gently pulling the face mask over his pounding head and covering his pained brown eyes, effectively blocking the light from irritating them any further. “Ren-ah,” Aron then caught the blonde’s attention. “I’m just going to put these in your ears okay? They’ll muffle the sound so your ears don’t hurt as bad.”

Ren nodded weakly in response, whimpering at the pain the small gesture brought. He’d never been in so much pain from a headache in his life.

“It’s not a normal headache, Ren-ah,” Baekho informed him, as if reading his thoughts. “It’s a migraine, they tend to be a LOT worse... they mess with your eyes and your stomach as well as your head...”

Ren grunted in affirmation while Aron gently pressed the small ear plugs into place. Seeing that the Maknae relaxed slightly, Baekho stood, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves. They’d all been so shaken when Ren had thrown up and almost fainted into the pile, it had only been due to JR’s quick reflexes that he’d been caught before the whole situation had become much messier.

All of the remaining boys worked together to get Ren’s warm clothes on and secured, it appeared as though the blonde had promptly fallen into a deep sleep as soon as the dark and quiet allowed it, not that the boys minded, sleep was probably the best medicine for their youngest. Once they were all ready, JR sent a text to their manager and Baekho scooped Ren up into his arms, holding him close to his chest. He couldn’t deny his instinctive brotherly feelings from seeing his normally happy, jumpy and headstrong Ren so weak and helpless, although the boy would deny that he was after he was feeling better.

A trip home, a maknae tucked up in bed and a hot chocolate each later, the boy’s hearts had finally settled from their panic at seeing their friend collapse, all they could do was hope that he was feeling better in the morning.

---------

A/N: Well there it is, my first ever fanfiction for a Kpop band and my first thing posted on this site! This is going to be a fic with several oneshots and twoshots I guess, all of hurt/comfort Ren, because I love torturing my pretty little Maknae... He’s my bias, I swear! I just have this disease where my favourite characters get hurt and I enjoy writing it! )’:

I hope you enjoy and I hope I didn’t do too badly! I’ve never written something to do with Kpop before, I usually write for Anime or Games over on ff.net.

I hope you enjoy!! :)