Final

Friendship to Love

13 years ago, I was 7 years old. I was the little kid who silently cried under the slide at the playground. Suddenly, a boy came who was a bit older than me. He asked me why I was crying and I told him that my parents didn’t buy me anything for my birthday. I thought they hated me but I was so idiot and stupid that time.

The boy stared at me and ran away, vanishing from my sight. Then, he came again with something on his hand. It was a doll that made from grass. He handed out the doll and wished me a happy birthday. Even though it wasn’t really beautiful but I really loved it. I smiled at him and quickly thanked him.

From that day on, we became best friend. His name was Nam Woohyun. He lived with his grandmother since his parents died years ago.  He wasn’t that rich actually. He came from a very poor family. Woohyun was like a big brother to me.

 

As we grew up, we became more intimate and close to each other.

“Guess whose birthday is coming?” I while sitting on the swing. He looked at me with his little cute face.

“Your birthday is three months later.” he said as he rolled his eyes. I pouted.

“Well, you will have enough time to prepare the gifts from me right?” I again. We laughed and laughed as there was no tomorrow. He looked up and smiled as he swung backward and forward. I followed the rhythm and looked up the sky too.

 

Since we graduated from our school, we entered the same university.  We studied together every time we had spare time. We also went outing together.

I still remembered this day; we went to beach with my friends. He playfully pushed me to the water. I quickly grabbed his clothes and we fell together. Our clothes became wet as the water splashed on our clothes. Both of us laughed and playfully splashed the water on each other clothes.

 Luckily, we bought new couple t-shirt from the souvenirs store. It was one of my favourite memories.

Three months later, my birthday was about around the corner. I was excited to see the gifts that would be prepared by Woohyun. Unfortunately, I had not seen him for a week. I was worried.

But, I put away all the negative thoughts and waited for surprises. Maybe he prepared something special for me.

 

Tomorrow would be my birthday. I didn’t see Woohyun for a while. Maybe he was busy.  I looked at my friends who were busy studying.

“Hey, did you see Woohyun lately?” one of my friends, Dongwoo looked at me and then looked back at the book he read.

“Nope, I didn’t see him for this whole week.”

“Yeah, you were busy with your girlfriend.” he rolled his eyes and ignored me.

“Perhaps he’s preparing the gifts.” I mumbled to myself even though it was enough for my friends to hear it.

 

I woke up in the morning. It was Saturday. Oh, yeah! It was my birthday too. I looked outside the window. It was raining cats and dogs. I let out a heavy sigh and went to my bed. Taking out, my books, I put the book on my lap and began my studies.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, indicating someone was at the door. I excitedly jumped off from the bed, hoping it was Woohyun.

As I opened the door, it wasn’t Woohyun. My smile faded.

“Ms Song Hyekyu?” the postman asked. I nodded my head and he gave me a letter and vanished from my sight. I read the sender’s address. Okay, it was a letter from Woohyun oppa! I was really excited. I torn the envelope and read the letter.

Go to my house tonight and go to my bedroom.

-Nam Woohyun

I smiled and hugged the letter. Probably he would give me something special tonight! Suddenly, a key fell from the envelope. I was puzzled. It was his key. Why he would give me his house key? Nah, I didn’t want to spoil the surprise. I really loved surprises!

 

That night, I dressed up prettily to celebrate my birthday at his house. I took the key and put it inside my handbag. Locking the door, I drove my car smoothly on the road to his house. As I arrived, I went to the lift and pushed the button to his floor.

I arrived at his house. He asked me to have a look inside his bedroom. I took a deep breath and unlocked the door. Turning the knob, I closed my eyes and slowly opened it. I gasped as I saw his bedroom. My tears rolled down my cheeks. I couldn’t say anything as I was really speechless. The room was filled with gifts and presents, from the smallest to the largest. The balloons were hanging and it was really beautiful. I quickly went inside his bedroom and jumped on the bed that filled with rose petals.

I made an imagery snow angel on the bed and looked beside me. He’s probably hiding from me and going to jump and surprised me. I chuckled.

“Woohyun-ah~ I know you are hiding behind the curtains. Come out now before I tickle you.” I said playfully but no one answered it. I moved the curtains a bit but Woohyun wasn’t there.

“Woohyun oppa, where are you?” I asked. Then, another letter attracted my attention. I took it and read it silently.

 

To my lovely Song Hyekyu,

I’m sorry that I couldn’t celebrate your birthday together. You probably thought that I would jump out the curtains and surprise you. But, yeah, I couldn’t do that even though I really want to. I know how you really love surprises. Three months were enough for me to prepare all of these presents. I haven’t told you this before. I had a brain tumour. My time was running out. I prepared the gifts before you knew it.
 

Remember the day we playfully pushed each other at the beach until we fell? People said we’re crazy and our conversations were really hard to understand. It was really memorable for me. I know I should tell you this but I just couldn’t do it. I hope you love the gifts that I prepared. Please open the presents on their certain years. Remember, don’t cheat.

Sincerely yours,
Nam Woohyun.

 

I couldn’t hang on any longer. My eyes were watery. I slumped against the wall and cried. So, that’s why he didn’t come to classes. To Nam Woohyun, why were you being so stupid?


 

Chat corner!

Woohyun: Yah, yah! Why are you guys crying? Cheer up would you!

Hyekyu: Duh, obviously it was the story.

Woohyun: Hyekyu, can you not disturb me?

Hyekyu: As if. I was the lead actress. :P

Woohyun: I didn’t ask you that. Oh, and to Thaqifah97, happy belated anniversary! Love you~

Hyekyu: How about me?

Woohyun: Duh, obviously it was just a story. :P

Hyekyu: …

Author: … Shut up… Happy belated anniversary, THAQIFAH97! :* I hope you like it even though you didn’t like tragic ending. XD I just love writing tragic stories. :3 Good luck in SPM, dear!