Prologue: 18 Years Ago

The Midnight Train

2031, August 30  11:30PM

The smell of the air was crisp. It wasn’t scented like the trees and fresh air as the countryside. However, after smelling the fragrance of the old stuffy office for the whole day, the air outside was better than what it smelled like on the inside.

 Kim Suhwa paused for a moment, after stepping out of the towering building, and looked at her watch.

“It’s already 11:30” she sighed.

This was it, the rumble and snarl of traffic, the sidewalks teeming with people and the bright neon lights. This was Seoul, the capital of South Korea. She couldn’t even imagine that she would be still here after all the years. It always surprised her that no matter what happened, Seoul will remain exactly the same.

Suhwa had been working the whole day, she was exhausted. She had a pale complexion, her dark circles were evident and her hair-which used to be perfectly styled this morning-, looked like a hot mess with strands of hair in her face.  The darkness didn’t help either, it made her look even more monstrous than ever with the dim moonlight shinning on her face.

“You have a text, you have a text” the phone rang in an overly cute voice.

“What is it now?!” Suhwa said a bit annoyed while she took her phone out of her purse and opened the message.

HI SWEETHEART!!<3 HOW WAS WORK!! I AM….

She didn’t want to finish the message; her tiredness was getting to her. She put her phone back into her purse and walked into the bustling streets of Seoul.           

She barely saw any taxis around the area, and it was too late to call her donsanges or even her husband. So she did what was appropriate.  She took the subway. Not just any subway train though, a very special one.

The midnight train.

The train was one of its kind, it was only train in Seoul that ran from midnight to the wee little hours of the morning.  The city probably kept the train running, even though nobody was ever on, since it was a safe way to get home after drinking and such. The first run left at exactly 12 o’ clock AM, so she could catch the train if she hurried. Suhwa discovered the train 18 years ago. It was on a night she didn’t want to remember, yet it was the night where it all started.

 Suhwa walked at a fast pace until she arrived at a deserted alleyway, it was subway entrance 33. It was the entrance to her Wonderland, the entrance to the midnight train.

As Suhwa climbed on board the train it amazed her that the train was the same as back then; the rusty smell in the air, outdated interior and the ridiculous carpeting choice.

The train was ghost town, a deserted soul that was pointless to the eye. However to Suhwa, it was more than a ghost town, it was home. A shelter that welcomed her back visit after visit and kept her away from all of her problems. Like an abandoned box- which seemed like a pile of junk to others- giving a place to stay for a stray dog. She made her way to her seat. It was very easily done since there were only 10 people or so in the entire train. 

Suhwa sat down, on seat 99, alley k and train cart 12. This had been her seat her the last 18 years. Suhwa hadn’t been coming here as often anymore, but on days like today for example when she had no ride or need a relaxing moment she went on this train.  

She sat down and then took a look around and started to remember the time she spent on the train. She rested her head on the window still, like she always did, and closed her eyes. Somehow the quite, homey like atmosphere in the train made her feel so safe and at peace. She started to recalled the last 18 years in her life, when she was 17. The kind strangers (who now were her best friends), the love of her life (now husband), Patricia (Oh Patricia~) and the amazing memories and friends she had made.  

It was now coming back to her.

18 years ago. That was when everything started.

---------------------------

OMG finally finished with the first chapter! Please leave a comment if there are things I can work on and I will see you in the next chapter! This is where it will be in the past the prologue was in the future BTW. Anyway thanks!