Final

너만 없다 (Gone)

A black car stopped in front of a big house. From the car, a middle-aged man came out from the front seat and opened the door behind. From the door, a young girl with a straight face came out. She walked aimlessly while the butler bowed at her. Inside the house, there was a music room, where a young man played the piano and the teacher –the girl’s father- was next to him, teaching him to play piano. The girl went in front of the boy and it caught his attention. His eyes darted towards the girl as she walked to the side of the house. His eyes keeps following her until the teacher snapped him out when he slammed the book on the piano. The boy was shocked for a moment and continued playing the piano. Without the teacher noticing, he keeps glancing at the girl sitting on the other side of the room. A few moments later, the boy finished playing and was about to go somewhere. He took his book and went out the room. He was drinking a pill when he crossed paths with the girl. The girl didn’t even bother to look at him. He was taken aback with her attitude and commented to the butler.

“Ahjussi!! That girl is very impolite!! She didn’t even say anything to me and just passed!!”

“Shut up! Just go and do your things!” the butler said and pushed him.

The boy groaned as he shoved the butler’s hand. He walked away with a quite angry face.

******

The next day, a white car stopped in front of the house. Then, the boy came out with a smile. The butler bowed at him and he bowed back. He fixed his backpack and went inside the house. He went to the other side of the music room and sat there. He was about to open his book when he saw the girl. He was a bit shocked when he saw her father next to her. He was scolding her and slapped her back.

“Why can’t understand a piece? The key is very easy and yet, you keep failing to play it. I’m so disappointed with you, Jinyeol-ah. You cannot play the piano like I did and lost to Sungjong. I’m very ashamed.” The father said.

The boy kept staring at the sight. The father sighed and walks away. On the same time, a piece of Jinyeol’s –the girl- candy, dropped to the floor. The boy was looking somewhere when he heard the candy dropped to the wooden floor. Jinyeol got down and tried to search for her candies by placing her hands around the floor. It looks difficult to her searching for her candies even though it’s next to her when she cannot see anything. Yes. She’s blind. The boy looked at her in pity and blinked his eyes. He turned around and saw the butler.

“Ahjussi, that girl cannot see anything and she’s blind?” he asked as he pointed to the girl.

The butler hushed him and left him. The girl continued to play the piano and it made Sungjong –the boy- got the attention. He walked to her side and sat next to her. He played the piano and it made the girl smiled a little bit. Sungjong kept teaching her to play the piano while her father heard it. He was confused and approached the music room. When he arrived, Jinyeol was giggling. The father got more confused and search a bit. When he sensed that nobody was there, he left. Behind the piano, Sungjong was hiding while his mouth was forming an ‘o’ shop. He got out with a peek-a-boo move and checked if he really left. He returned to Jinyeol’s side as he groaned. He held his left chest where he felt a pain on his heart. He took a tube of pills and swallowed one of them.

“Is there something?” Jinyeol asked slowly.

He turned to her. “Nothing..” he said. He took a candy from Jinyeol’s plate. “Say Aah~” he said as he put the candy into . She took it and his finger touched her lips accidentally.

-Dugeun dugeun-

Jinyeol smiled as Sungjong stared at his finger that touched her lips. He smiled and glanced at Jinyeol.

******

Sungjong peeked to the back of the house. Nobody was there. He signalled Jinyeol to come closer with his hands while she was walking slowly, afraid to fall. He forgot that she’s blind and took her hand which made her surprised. They sat on a bench while talking about some things. Jinyeol stared blankly to the front while Sungjong was smiling. All of the sudden, Jinyeol raised her hands slowly and put it to Sungjong’s face. Sungjong’s closed his eyes feeling Jinyeol’s warm and soft hand trying to mesmerizing his face. A smile lit on Jinyeol’s face. Sungjong took one of her hand and put it on his left chest, where his heart it. He held her hand as she felt his heart beating. But then, the pain of Sungjong’s heart came and it made the smile on Jinyeol’s face disappear because she heard him groan a bit. He took out his pills. They didn’t notice that Jinyeol’s bodyguard caught them and called Jinyeol’s father immediately.

Before Sungjong could say anything, he was dragged forcefully by Jinyeol’s father’s bodyguards. Sungjong kept trying to release their grip but it’s not use. He kept calling Jinyeol’s name as he tried to let go. Her father watched from above and just watched the sight. Jinyeol noticed that he needs his pills and searched on the ground for the pills. It was next to her, but, since she’s blind, she cannot notice that. Sungjong who was being dragged, successfully let go of one the guards hand, but he was catched again. Jinyeol tried to search for him in front of her but she can’t. Sungjong was already being dragged by the guards.

******

Ever since Sungjong left, the music room was quiet. Nobody played the instrument inside, except for Jinyeol. As days gone by, her jar of candies got very empty until nothing was left. The candies were like her hopes, which as she eats, it will be gone. As days gone by, her hope was fading. Jinyeol was sitting on the couch in the music room, holding Sungjong’s heart pills. She kept waiting for him there, not even bother to eat or leave the room. She missed him. She wanted to see him again. Her tears began to fall but then, the door opened. She was surprised.

Sungjong came.

She tilted her head to find out who is the person. Then, Sungjong played the piano.

‘She cannot understand words.. she cannot understand anything. But she can understand the meanings of the piano keys. She can verify the melody on the song played. She can translate it with her own mind. That’s why her father taught her piano, so she could understand the world more with the melody..’

Sungjong played the piano wholeheartedly. Jinyeol’s lips twitched a bit when she translated the melody Sungjong played.

‘I love your smile, I love your kindness, I love your passion, I love your patience, I love your heart, I love your soft hands, I love your sweet laugh, I love your sweet voice, I love your this, your that, I love your that, I love your everything.. I..’

Sungjong cannot complete his sentences as he collapsed, baming to the piano keys. It made Jinyeol’s smile disappeared. Her eyes gone teary. Sungjong didn’t move a bit. It made Jinyeol panicked. The butler who watched it all ran to Sungjong’s side and picked him up. He brought him to the car hurriedly. The father who noticed that Sungjong’s love for Jinyeol was pure, and his daughter wasn’t happy when he left, the father felt bad. He lowered his head as he was Sungjong being brought inside the car. He was definitely unconcious. The father lowered his glasses and sat in front of the piano. He played the piece that Sungjong has to play, has to say, has to do before he left. He played it in front of Jinyeol. Jinyeol smiled as the melody rang softly to her ears and translated it with her brain. Her eyes was closed, tears began to roll from her eyes as she smiled happily when she knew the last piece of the song Sungjong had to say.

The piece Sungjong really want to say..

The piece that she wanted to hear the most..

The piece that brought them together..

The piece that prove Sungjong will always be there eventhough he’s ‘gone’..

The piece that became the for everything..

‘I love you..’