One

A Cotton Candy Flavoured Kiss
In a certain quiet, quiet street, there is this small bakery, and in the small, small bakery, there was a variety of delicacies. There were lots of cakes, cupcakes, cookies, anything you could name out.
 
However, no one would come to this little bakery, for it is isolated in the middle of nowhere. 
 
Despite this, everyday, this little boy, who had black hair with two huge doe-like eyes, would arrive at the front of the bakery.
 ​
He would be standing outside the shop, admiring the cakes on display, sniffing the air because the door of the bakery would always be left ajar, allowing him to smell the aroma of butter and cream.
 
But he does not dare to enter the bakery.
 
Sometimes as he peeks over the cake displays, he would see a bob of brown hair.
 
Tiptoeing, he would see a boy wiping the tables of the bakery. 
 
He wonders if the boy works here.
 
The little black haired boy took one last glance at the little bakery, and skipped off.
 
-
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now, ten years later, the boy arrives at this bakery again.
 
It is now upgraded, and is bustling with customers. He is glad to see that.
 
During these years, the doe-eyed boy had moved to China, and only now did he come back from there.
 
He was now no longer a little kid but a tall, pretty flower boy. He did not have his black hair anymore as he dyed it blonde.
 
He looked at the shop name, and to his content, it hadn’t changed. 
 
He opened the door of the bakery, and this was the first time he entered it.
 
No one’s attention was on him- of course- because everyone was busy eating.
 
The doe-eyed boy stared at the counter, and was greeted by a boy who was about half a head shorter than him, who had brown hair.
 
The brown bob of hair seemed so familiar to the doe-eyed boy, but he couldn’t figure out why.
 
"Hello, may I help you?" The brown-haired boy asks the doe-eyed boy.
 
"I would like…….." The doe-eyed boy scanned the brown-haired boy’s facial features. He had eyes which could curve up into an eye smile anytime, a small little nose, and his lips were curved perfectly. 
 
He shook his head to distract himself from his thoughts and looked down at the menu. “A bag of cookies please?”
 
"What’s your name?" The brown-haired boy looked up while writing down the order on a slip of paper. 
 
The doe-eyed boy admired his delicate fingers that were holding a ballpoint pen.
 
"W-hat?" The doe-eyed boy stammered.
 
"W-we need to write your name on the packet so we won’t get disorganized." The brown-haired boy said, but was a little nervous.
 
"Er…r-right…..my n-name is Luhan." The doe-eyed boy smiled brightly at the brown-haired boy. He knows my name now. He thought while his heart raced.
 
"How about-" Luhan hurriedly looked up at the brown-haired boy’s name tag. He saw two words. Baek. Hyun.
 
"Okay. Will get your order in a few minutes!" Baekhyun cut Luhan’s sentence off with an excited and cute voice but he actually was nervous inside. How adorable. Luhan thought and shook his head.
 
Baekhyun ran into the kitchen, smiling while thinking of the the boy he met earlier. Luhan. That was his name. A pretty name that fit a pretty boy. 
 
Luhan tapped his fingers on the table while waiting, and he noticed a couple of girls staring at him, but he didn’t care about any of them. He looked at the entrance of the kitchen where Baekhyun would come out.
 
Soon, Baekhyun appeared with a chef’s hat on his head. How cute. He had a pack of cookies in his hand.
 
"Right, you…" There was a pause as he narrowed his eyes and looked down at the piece of paper stuck to the cookie pack. "Luhan? Am I right? You wanted cookies right?"
 
"Oh-h…y-yes…" Luhan stuttered.
 
"That’ll be….hmm….." Baekhyun typed into the cash register. "Five dollars."
 
"O-h sure…" Luhan reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. He fumbled with it until he found a five-dollar note.
 
His hand shook while he passed Baekhyun the note. Baekhyun was a little puzzled but he shrugged and took the note.
 
"Thank you. Have a nice day!" Baekhyun said to Luhan in his cute-high pitched voice.
 
Luhan’s heart raced even more, but he just stood there in his place, not moving his two feet. 
 
"Hello! Earth to….Luhan was it?!" Baekhyun’s hands waved in front of Luhan’s face.
 
"Huh?" Luhan suddenly snapped back to life.
 
"You can go now. I collected your money." Baekhyun said, confused, but he secretly thought Luhan was adorable like that.
 
"Oh…oh right…..bye Baekhyun!" Luhan shouted and waved without thinking. ! Luhan what did you just do? Wave to a random person?
 
There was a short silence. Did he ignore me perhaps?
 
"Uh…bye? Bye Luhan!" Baekhyun thought it was polite to say it back so he did.
 
Luhan felt like his smile went up all the way to his cheeks. He happily walked out of the bakery with a stupid smile plastered on his face.
 
That was perhaps the boy I met before right? Isn’t it him? Is this fate?
 
-
 
Baekhyun looked where Luhan went and sighed. I hope we meet again.
 
He walked to the door of the bakery and turned the ‘Open’ sign to ‘Closed’.
 
"Baek?" A tall guy popped his head into the bakery’s door.
 
"Chanyeol hyung! You’re here!" Baekhyun said excitedly. (A/N: Pretend that Chanyeol is older than Baekhyun in this fic)
 
"How was work today?" Chanyeol said as he sat down on one of the chairs.
 
"Today was kind of busy but it’s good! More customers means more money to earn! More money to earn means more money for umma’s surgery!" Baekhyun said happily.
 
Chanyeol was touched by his younger brother’s words. Their mother needed to have a surgery soon but with only both of them supporting the family as their dad ran away, they needed to come out to work, even though Baekhyun was only eighteen.
 
“Ah….that’s great.” Chanyeol flashed his goofy smile. “Anything else unusual?” He always hoped his little brother could get a girlfriend, so he could spend some time with her and wouldn’t be so lonely at home.
 
"Yes. I met a…….someone…today…." Baekhyun said but paused. What of he said he met a guy and he liked him? What would his brother think of him? 
 
"Who?" Chanyeol’s eyes lit up.
 
"Tell you later….." Baekhyun rushed into the kitchen to get his stuff, embarrassed.
 
Baekhyun closed the door of the bakery and locked it, putting the key into his bag.
 
"So what was that you were saying?" Chanyeol said while walking with Baekhyun back home.
 
"I met…..a guy." Baekhyun said a little too excitedly.
 
"A guy? Who? Your best friend in high school or middle school?" Chanyeol said excitedly as he didn’t catch the tone of Baekhyun’s voice.
 
"No….just a guy……and I feel like he….he’s special." Baekhyun said and played with his fingers. He swung his arms back and forth as he felt the night winds blowing.
 
"Special?" Chanyeol said after a while.
 
"Yeah….." Baekhyun said and looked at the ground. What would his brother think of him?
 
"Here’s some advice, so listen carefully." Chanyeol said seriously and Baekhyun nodded.
 
"I hope you’ll become good friends with him. Get to know him, and hey, maybe you could…?" Chanyeol burst into laughter.
 
Baekhyun smiled. So by that he knew that his brother accepted his decision. He heaved a happy sigh of relief.
 
"But don’t tell umma until I’m ready and I get to know him better…." Baekhyun said uncertainly as he unlocked the door to their house.
 
-
 
Days passed, Luhan would arrive at Baekhyun’s bakery everyday. He would help Baekhyun happily without questions.
 
It was closing time and it was the cleaning up day of the week, so both Baekhyun and Luhan needed to stay and clean the bakery.
 
"Why do you come here everyday?" Baekhyun asked Luhan out of the blue one day.
 
"Well, I want to help, can’t I?" Luhan said, upset that Baekhyun asked him that when he had the heart and time to help him out.
 
Baekhyun was taken aback by Luhan’s answer.
 
"N-no….it’s just…." Baekhyun’s voice faltered.
 
"You don’t want my help?" Luhan’s voice rose.
 
"No…of course I-" Baekhyun choked on his words.
 
"Then fine, I shall take my leave, since you’re so ungrateful!" Luhan kicked one of the chairs in the bakery.
 
"N-no!" Baekhyun rose up from wiping the counter’ stable, alarmed. 
 
Baekhyun grabbed Luhan’s arm without thinking and shook his head.
 
Luhan turned to look back at Baekhyun. “What?” Luhan tried to look nonchalant but failed.
 
"I didn’t mean it that way, Luhan." Baekhyun sai sadly.
 
"I’m sorry…." His lips formed into a pout.
 
That made Luhan’s doe eyes light up immediately. Baekhyun was so adorable how could he stand it?
 
"Apology accepted." Luhan said and smiled.
 
"Really?" Baekhyun said, face lighting up and he flashed his brightest smile.
 
"Really." Luhan said and smiled a very genuine smile.
 
"Thank you Luhan!" Baekhyun ran over to Luhan without thinking twice and threw his arms around Luhan’s waist.
 
Seconds ticked past.
 
"Uh…Baekhyun…" Luhan said awkwardly.
 
Baekhyun, all snuggled up because he was leaning against Luhan’s fluffy jacket, who didn’t even know what he was doing, replied, “Yes Luhan?” 
 
He said and looked up at Luhan with sparkling puppy eyes.
 
Luhan tried to keep his cool at that cuteness. “You may get off me now….” He said while he heard an ‘Oh!’ from Baekhyun and his hands slipped off.
 
Finally. Luhan thought. But how come it seems that I didn’t like it when he pulled away?
 
"Sorry, I wasn’t thinking……" Baekhyun sheepishly said and rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. His own heart was racing rapidly.
 
"It-it’s okay!" Luhan said and waved his hands in the air, signaling it was alright.
 
There was an awkward awkward silence.
 
"Why do you work here? I’ve always wanted to ask this." Luhan popped up a question and smiled at Baekhyun after that.
 
"Um…..I need to….get money for my mum’s surgery….." Baekhyun said in a whisper.
 
Luhan was shocked. He didn’t know Baekhyun was such a good son. He thought Baekhyun only worked here for fun and to earn his own pocket money, he never thought that he would do this for others, namely his mother, and not himself.
 
Luhan hesitated for a moment. “Is….is she alright?” Luhan asked curiously.
 
"Yes, she’s hospitalized but we, um me and my brother, have not enough money for a surgery for her…." His voice which had a tinge of sadness faded.
 
Baekhyun stared at the ground, and stopped whatever work he was doing.
 
Luhan saw Baekhyun’s sad expression and patted Baekhyun’s shoulder. “It’ll be alright.” Luhan said with a reassuring smile.
 
Baekhyun looked up.
 
"I’ll help." Luhan smiled brightly at him.
 
"Really?" Baekhyun’s eye’s lit up once more.
 
"Yes. I would love to help." Luhan blurted, a little embarrassed.
 
"Thank you thank you thank you!" Baekhyun threw his arms around Luhan’s neck this time.
 
Luhan stoned for a moment this time before his hands found their way to Baekhyun’s back. He patted his back slowly.
 
"Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me." Baekhyun whispered.
 
"No problem….?" Luhan said, a little confused because Baekhyun was still in that position and didn’t want to let go.
 
"Mmmhmm….." Baekhyun laid down on his fluffy jacket.
 
"I like it like this." Baekhyun blurted out in his comfortable position.
 
Luhan was confused. Like what? Like it that he was in Luhan’s arms? Like it that he was hugging him? Like it that-
 
"Your hug feels so comfortable and warm. This reminds me of appa." Baekhyun said sadly.
 
There was silence.
 
"Really?" Luhan said softly.
 
"Mmmhmm…." Baekhyun was still in the same position.
 
"What happened to him?" Luhan curiously asked.
 
"He ran away......"
 
"Oh...."
 
"Are you gonna let go?" Luhan chuckled.
 
"Nope." Baekhyun giggled back.
 
"Yah!" Luhan let go and poked Baekhyun’s nose. "We can’t stay here for long, let’s head home. I’m tired…."
 
Baekhyun pouted while gathering his stuff.
 
"I’m going to see umma tomorrow, wanna come?" Baekhyun asked Luhan.
 
Wait. Did I just say that? Didn’t I tell Chanyeol hyung that I wouldn’t show Luhan to umma until I’m ready?
 
Baekhyun hesitantly looked up to Luhan, hoping he would say yes.
 
"Okay!" Luhan said excitedly. Baekhyun relaxed.
 
-
 
The door of the hospital room slowly opened, revealing Baekhyun, Luhan and Chanyeol.
 
Baekhyun urged Chanyeol to go beside the hospital bed first while he and Luhan waited by the door.
 
"Umma, I’m here~" Chanyeol said, smiling at his mother sleeping.
 
He waited for her to wake up any moment now. 
 
“Hello…yeol…” his mother said weakly.
 
"Are you alright?" Chanyeol said worriedly.
 
"Yes I’m fine….." His mother shook her head.
 
"Where’s Baek?" His mother suddenly asked she was lying down and unable to get up and look at the door.
 
"I’ll go get him. I think he’s in the toilet." Chanyeol lied and got up.
 
He made his way to the door where his brother and Luhan were at.
 
"Yah! Aren’t you gonna go in?" Chanyeol said in a loud whisper.
 
"Uh…um…." Baekhyun grew nervous.
 
"You’re scared about showing Luhan aren’t you? Why? Isn’t he your friend?" Chanyeol eyed him suspiciously.
 
"Uh….y-yeah. My f-friend." Baekhyun quickly said and gestured for Luhan to follow him to the bed.
 
"Umma, I’m here." Baekhyun declared.
 
"Baek…..how are…you? Have you been fine?" His mother asked. She was more concerned for her younger son than her elder one.
 
"Yes. And umma, I…brought a friend." Baekhyun managed to say nervously.
 
"Friend? Where is he?" His mother asked. "Can I see him?"
 
Baekhyun gestured for Luhan to come over.
 
"H-hello, ahjumma." Luhan said politely and bowed.
 
"Ah…you're a polite little kid." Baekhyun’s mother reached out to pat Luhan’s hair.
 
"So what brings you here? Baek doesn’t really have friends often." His mother questioned Luhan.
 
"O-oh…I help Baekhyun out in his bakery…" Luhan said, embarrassed.
 
"That’s great….with another pair of hands he would get the job done quicker….and he wouldn’t be so tired when he reaches home…." His mother said thoughtfully.
 
When Luhan was speaking, Baekhyun was staring at him. And no, it wasn’t those kind of ‘You’re talking so I have to give respect by looking at your direction’ kind of looks, but his stare at Luhan was filled with love. Yes, he was staring at him…lovingly.
 
Chanyeol was looking at Baekhyun suspiciously. He planned to ask him about that once they reached home.
 
-
 
"Hey…baek…." Chanyeol said hesitantly as he plopped onto the couch.
 
"Hmm?" Baekhyun looked up from eating his bag of chips innocently.
 
"What was all that just now?" Chanyeol eyed Baekhyun.
 
"Was what?" Baekhyun replied, having no idea what his brother was talking about, and munched on his chips.
 
"Luhan." Chanyeol said flatly. "You like him right?" He shot the question at his younger brother.
 
"Uh….uh……" Baekhyun’s face grew red.
 
Chanyeol sighed. “It’s so obvious, Baek.” 
 
He got up from his seat on the couch. “I’m going to turn in now, night.”
 
 
"Night, hyung." Baekhyun called back and laid down on the couch, hugging his pillow.
 
Is it true? Is it true that I like Luhan? Baekhyun hit his own face with the pillow. Argh. Baekhyun. What are you doing? You can’t fall for a guy! You can’t! He thought to himself.
 
-
 
"Oh! Y-you’re here early." Baekhyun smiled when Luhan entered the bakery.
 
"Mmm no customers yet?" Luhan asked.
 
"Nope." Baekhyun shook his head. "The bakery opens at nine and I usually come an hour earlier." 
 
"Ahh….." Luhan nodded.
 
There was an awkward silence again.
 
"How long did you work here?" Luhan asked Baekhyun.
 
"Ever since I was little. Umma was the owner of this bakery, but since she fell really sick and I’m old enough, she passed the responsibility of managing this place to me." Baekhyun explained.
 
Oh. So the guy I saw was really Baekhyun……
 
"Why?" Baekhyun disrupted Luhan from his thoughts.
 
"Because….I saw you before….." Luhan confessed without thinking.
 
"Saw…….me…….before?" A part of Baekhyun was confused but a part of him was delighted at the same time.
 
"Uh huh. I used to buy stuff from his bakery when I was little, before I moved to China to study." Luhan told Baekhyun.
 
"You’re from China?" Baekhyun was surprised. "And how did you look like last time? Did I see you before?
 
"Yeah……..um…..I didn’t enter the bakery. I always pass by this bakery while walking home from school." Luhan explained.
 
"Oh…….." Baekhyun’s voice faltered. He thought that he would’ve seen Luhan when he was little.
 
"Sorry….I sound like a creep don’t I….." Luhan said, his face red.
 
"N-no! Y-you don’t!" Baekhyun waved his hands in the air, signaling it was totally alright.
 
"That’s a relief." Luhan smiled. 
 
Baekhyun’s heart thumped at Luhan’s eye-blinding smile.
 
"Isn’t it already nine? Let’s start work!" Luhan got off his seat and flipped the ‘Closed’ sign to ‘Open.
 
Baekhyun froze for a moment. What is this good sensation that I’m feeling? Is it…….love?
 
-
 
It was the break day of the week. Baekhyun decided to spend a day with Luhan.
 
Luhan loved the idea. But where would they go? Baekhyun told him it would be a surprise, so he was cracking his brain thinking.
 
"You love food don’t you?" Baekhyun asked Luhan while walking to their destination.
 
"Of course!" Luhan said happily. Was he going to bring Luhan to eat somewhere for dinner?
 
Baekhyun was elated. Luhan’s so cute. He thought.
 
"Then I have the perfect place in mind to go!" Baekhyun took Luhan’s arm as both of them ran together. 
 
Both of their hearts raced at the same time.
 
-
 
"We’re here!" Baekhyun declared. Adorable. Luhan thought.
 
"A food market?" Luhan’s eyes sparkled at the variety of food stalls.
 
"Aren’t you hungry? Let’s go!" Baekhyun punched his fists into the air.
 
Both Baekhyun and Luhan walked down the street happily, holding each others’ hands, trying out different delicacies.
 
Neither did both of them notice, so they made their way to the next stall.
 
"Hello! What would this couple like to buy?" The stall owner asked the both of them.
 
"Couple?" Baekhyun was confused. "W-we’re not a couple!" His face grew red.
 
"Y-yeah we aren’t…." Luhan’s face was even more red.
 
"Ahh…you kids these days." The stall owner shook his head.
 
"I would like this cotton candy, I want it pink." Baekhyun told the stall owner.
 
"I would like to have what he has." Luhan said after Baekhyun.
 
They waited for a few minutes before it was done.
 
"Here! For this cute couple~" The stall owner sang and handed Baekhyun and Luhan their cotton candy sticks.
 
"We-we’re not-" Baekhyun started.
 
"That’ll be five dollars for both." The shop owner cut Baekhyun’s sentence.
 
Baekhyun nervously nodded his head and wanted to reach for his wallet to pay his money, only now realizing that he was holding Luhan’s hand.
 
He was reluctant to let go of it but he needed to. Both him and Luhan walked away from the stall.
 
"Y-you were holding my hand just now?" Baekhyun nervously asked Luhan.
 
"No? I wasn't" Luhan innocently admitted. He was confused as he didn’t know too.
 
"Ahh…okay….but could we do it? Again?" Baekhyun asked even though he was so embarrassed. He really, really liked it.
 
"Oh…okay…." Luhan nervously stretched out his hand and smiled. It was his first time doing this, not counting the first time as they were unconsciously doing it.
 
Baekhyun smiled back and grasped Luhan’s hand. Their hands seemed to fit perfectly in each other.
 
Baekhyun’s long delicate fingers were holding Luhan’s perfect small ones.
 
Both of their faces grew red.
 
"Uh….let’s continue w-walking?" Baekhyun said to break the awkward silence.
 
He stepped forward but Luhan used his foot to stop him. Baekhyun looked back at Luhan confusedly.
 
"I….have a confession to make." Luhan blurted out.
 
"What is it?"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"I…..like you."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
There was silence.
 
"I’ve liked you ever since. Remember when I told you that I saw you in the bakery when I was little? I visited it everyday, just to see you." Luhan confessed, face now bright red. His cheeks were flushed and he was very very embarrassed.
 
"Uh……" Baekhyun paused. He liked me? No…or rather, likes me? Ever since he saw me? But why? But how? But….
 
"But……." Baekhyun started.
 
"I-it’s okay if you don’t f-feel the same way." Luhan said sadly as he let go of Baekhyun’s hand.
 
"N-no……." Baekhyun held his hand back.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"I………….accept your feelings."
 
"Really?" Luhan looked up.
 
"Yeah….I f-feel the same way too….." Baekhyun admitted while his heart thumped wildly.
 
Then, his face got covered by something pink.
 
"Luhan?" His voice got muffled.
 
"Close your eyes." Luhan instructed him.
 
Baekhyun obeyed and seconds later he heard a laugh. 
 
Baekhyun loved how Luhan laughed. He sounded like an angel.
 
"Say you love me and I’ll put this cotton candy away from your face." 
 
He could hear Luhan’s cheeky voice.
 
There was silence again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
"I…..love you…." Baekhyun managed to say after a while.
 
"Really?" Luhan put the cotton candy away from Baekhyun’s face and as Baekhyun met with Luhan’s face instead. Their faces were inches apart.
 
"Really. From the bottom of my heart." Baekhyun smiled.
 
"I love you too." Luhan smiled and leaned in to kiss Baekhyun’s lips that were full of pink cotton candy.
 
Baekhyun kissed back while smiling. 
 
His lips were sweeter than the cotton candy.
 
He felt as if he was floating.
 
 
On cotton candy.
 
 
With Luhan.
 
 
Only.
 
He was happy. So happy. With Luhan.
 
 
His First love.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
His cotton candy love.
 
 
 
"Your lips taste like cotton candy." Luhan pointed out cutely.
 
Baekhyun giggled. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
-
 
A/N: The end! How was it? Please comment ^_^ I hope it was as fluffy as you thought it would be haha~
 
[Thanks to bebaeksoon again for helping me to beta-read this! JIAPL I LOVE YOU ((AGAIN))]