sharing hot cocoa

the most wonderful time of the year

"Hey Jongin, do you mind taking another shift this Friday?" Joonmyun asks, when Jongin comes into the back room to remove his wrinkled green apron, adorned with a splotch of coffee from a clumsy customer. "The rush is coming in, and we're going to be understaffed."

Jongin internally sighs and opens his mouth, ready to recite all the unfinished projects and tests he needs to prepare for. It's a list he knows far too well (after all, every college student spends just as much time complaining about their workload as they do actually working), and he should have absolutely no qualms in declining- he's only part time, after all, and he's under no obligation- but Joonmyun beats him to the punch.

"Wait, no- you'd be taking too many hours this week then." His brow furrows, casting even greater shadows into the dark circles under his eyes as his mind races through their staff. "I suppose I can see if Chanyeol might be willing to work overti-"

"No, it's fine, hyung." Jongin interrupts. "I'm free anyways." Even if he's not; that's the most blatant lie he's said in a while. He has an art project due that evening, not to mention an exhibit to help curate. Not his smartest move, butthe tired line of Joonmyun's mouth melts into a relieved 

"You can't-" Joonmyun counters half-heartedly, but he doesn't protest much at all. It's a testament to how tired Joonmyun is that he doesn't fight this to the bone. If it were any other time but the holiday season, then the firm, adamant Joonmyun would be lecturing him on how he shouldn't overwork and needs to take care of his body.

Not that those complaints would be unfounded. I should'nt have agreed to that Jongin internally grumbles, as calculates exactly how many hours of sleep he'll get over the next few days to take on the extra shift. But the relieved expression that washes over Joonmyun's face makes it completely worth it.