Both of them

The Phases of Our Moon

SUMMER SULLIVAN 

 

The frigid air nipped the bare skin as I stared down the moon. It was chillingly out here when time always passed by. Million of thoughts ran through my mind as I smiled down through them. I brushed my soft pals to the fresh green grass. How did Mum felt today? Would she be happy whenever words don’t come out from my mouth? That thought makes me cry, not the only thing I could bare in my life. It’s why I’m being a mute whenever I try to speak any words from my mouth. I wanted to be normal like other teenagers singing, talking and gossiping. But I would definitely understand why I’m like this and I would never regret it. And now I was here at the graveyard at night, alone.

Seriously, I don’t want to be abducted by the aliens if it happens.

Mum has always been there for me, but when the unfortunate turn of event happened everything has changed. She used to tell me how I should be proud of myself. I may not be normal, but the thing is only my voice was gone and not myself.  I can hear, smell, see and feel. Common sense, eh? Dad never left me alone he enrolled me in a Private School near the town before, but Mum’s gone now. I have a great brother who had helped me always and he’s off to college, College is a hard stage now, money is a must.

So, I convinced Dad to let me study on a normal average public school. And the worse is Harry retorted, he didn’t like the idea for me to go on a public school. He insisted that teenagers are so stereotypical these days, he also insisted this things: Reece would be bullied, She can’t scream for me if she needs help, No one will help her there except for me and I love Reece, even though I won’t go to college, she’ll stay in that school.

Harry is so overprotective over me; he promised Mum that he won’t ever leave me alone. But sometimes I think that he should live his life, too. His life won’t just revolve around me. And soon, he would have his own family and he’ll leave me. Dad’s also getting older; he won’t be able to work hard anymore if it happens.

Someone tapped me over my shoulder as I startled. “Thinking about: what if? Questions again?” a voice from my back called. I looked up to see Harry staring down at me, he looked worried but he shouldn’t.  I patted beside me as he smirked at me and trudged down the soft bed of grass. We both stayed silent; of course I do I’m mute. But he didn’t talk after that; I could see in his face that he was actually worried. He just looked down and dropped his gaze, staring at the grass as it danced by the air fidgeting.

I slowly grabbed his hand as he pierced his green eyes with mine. He nodded slowly and I started scribbling down the word: Worried? in his palm. He gulped and averted his gaze, and I can see it in his eyes that he was worried. I sighed and slowly pulled out my phone. I opened a note app as I scrawled down the thoughts running in my head.

Harry, public schools isn’t that bad you know? I’m sure I can handle this. Remember Mum told us that she studied in a public school and it was much better than Private crappy school? Just stop being worried. Soon you’ll have your family, and you’ll leave me alone in this world. If that happens, please never forget me. Besides, you’ll only live in an apartment like an hour away.

Tears blurred into my vision as I tried to pull it back. I hated it when I’m emotional. Something had really struck me now: thoughts, conclusions about school and family. Looking up to the sky before turning to Harry, I silently wished that it could rejuvenate him. Nudging his shoulder he eyed me and raised his eyebrow. I handed him my phone as he stared deeply through it. I’d decided that it could be better if he would be alone beside Mum now. And he’s actually scared of being alone, duh who wouldn’t?  Pulling myself up against the grass I glanced once more to Harry and walked away. I felt comfortable as I stepped down the soft grass.

 Our house is just five minutes away so it’s much easier for me to go back and forth. I sauntered away from him and pulled my coat closer to my body. The air made me shiver as I gritted my teeth together to keep my body warm and stable. The lights of our house soon reflected through my house. Our house is made up of wood with a strong and stable stands. That house was built for years now when Mum and Dad were newly wed.

More than anything, I love being with my family.

 

ZACHARY AYERS

WHEN I GOT INTO A BIG TROUBLE I was forced to be in a public school, my mother was devolved. The big hitch of her plan was me. I didn’t think I was a particularly a disobedient son, but it was all her fault and it will be always hers. But this time it depends in me, if I wanted to forgive her or never.

       I didn’t want to be his son forever. And I didn’t ever think that she’ll ever do that to us. I loved her before, until now but what happened has a lot of catch.

       I was in my room, the only place I could avoid the memories of our whole house, trying not to even talk to her. So far, she had his Gregory with her side and I know she won’t be needing me anymore . . . I didn’t think there was a single reason I should stay here.

      I couldn’t avoid her much longer. She tried to make me a dinner, but I refused eating and now I’m hungry. It was approaching midnight, and as I always promise to dad, going to his graveyard always a must. I pulled myself out of my bed and walked into the snake pit.

      I got a glare from Gregory and went back reading a newspaper.

I sauntered to the fridge and got some baked macaroni, actually I didn’t care if its cold I really am hungry. Gregory muttered some incoherent words and shook his head after gazing at me. Scooping the macaroni using the spoon, Gregory stood up from the couch and walked toward me.  When he finally reached the kitchen, he leaned his side against the wall and threw me daggers.

“What the hell do you want to happen in your life, Zachary?” Gregory hissed, pointing a finger at me. “Do you even care about your mom?”

      If I looked up and glanced at me, he’ll just return it with a fierce look. What did he care about anything about us? He’s just my quirky step-father and nothing more. He shouldn’t be acting as if he was my own father, and in fact he’s the reason my father died. He tried these things very often. Like if I came home from school, he’d hissed at me and will call me rude.

     When I didn’t answer him, he just turned around and groaned in frustration. This wasn’t just about me, though. Why’d he care about how my life is? Did he ever think my dad would be happy to see him living in his house? I tossed my spoon over the sink and stood up, dragging myself away from this house.  I grabbed my coat, and swung the door open. I’ve lost my appetite. As my body entered the cold chilly night, the air whistled more air as it made me shiver. Hundreds of thoughts are floating in my mind and not even one was I am paying attention with.

     All I wanted to know is why dad had to leave me alone. Mom had been cold towards to dad, and it was too late when dad find out that Mom was cheating with Gregory. That day was the worst thing of my life and I’ll never forget about it. The thought made me straw into anger. I gritted my teeth and continued walking further away from the house. The graveyard is just ten minutes away from our house, so it’s a lot easier for me to go back and forth.

     The tall gates of the grave can already be seen as I smiled up to it. I’m going to see dad again. But beyond the potential danger that I could get for going out in midnight, I couldn’t care less. Dad is waiting for me and I have to see him.

   I trudged to the gate and took a deep breath.

  Opening the gate, I entered the grave with full of stone as I thought about their family. They must be sad about what happened to them, right? Like I was. Counting my steps to ten, I’d finally reached the grave of my longest father. I stared down the engraved stone as it was written: To my father and husband. Things won’t change. We promise.  Sitting beside him, I stared up to the moon as I felt the tears running down my cheeks. Son, whenever you miss me and you felt alone. “Stare up to the sky, the phases of the moon is also how I was.” 

   Dad used to say this whenever we’re watching the moonlight . . . with my mom. Of course mom had forgotten all about this because she was too busy with Gregory. Why’d she even bother?  It wasn’t that her situation was so precarious that she is going to visit with me. But not even once did she ever ask me.

   I watched the moon as it shone all over the night, wishing things hadn’t happened before and that was the only thing I should wish for. From my peripheral vision, a woman who’d I think in my age too came over the other side of the grave. She has flowers on her hand, and that made her look like a goddess, I can’t even take my eyes away from her. It was surreal. Like I’ve seen her before.

She slowly dropped her knees down to the soft grass, leaning forward to place to flower on top of the grave. Later on, I found myself staring at her that was until a man staggered towards her. Her head instantly dropped and nodded, following the man out of the cemetery. I smiled to myself, it’s getting colder out here, and I think I should go back. I gave a glance to my father and brushed my hands over the dusty stoned yard, before saying: “I will dad; I won’t let anything happen to mom. I promise, even though Gregory… is my father now.”

What do you expect losing two women you’ve loved the most? I am, I expected these things to happen to me.