1/1

In your heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae and Donghae are lying on the grass while staring at the sky that has stars all over it. Neither of them speaks anything until the older says.

“Haehae,”

“Yes, Hyukkie?”

“If Hyukkie is missing, wat wuld Haehae do?” asked Hyukjae while staring at the sky, doesn’t dare to look at Donghae.

“Why wuld Hyukkie gone, and why does Hyukkie ask dat question?” Donghae, who lies beside him, immediately sits.

“Nothing,” said Hyukjae.

The fish knows there’s something fishy, and Hyukjae is acting really fishy that even a real fish could even sense the fishiness.

“Haehae,”

Donghae doesn’t reply. Hyukjae always says that he’s an important person to him, but why don’t he answer the question?

Perhaps, he’s not important to Hyukjae anymore?

Donghae imaginarily gasps at that. He likes Hyukjae. Although they just met a week ago, he could feel that they’re destined to be best friend. Hyukjae also thinks the same way.

They have many same likings, and they often argue, too. But, those are what tightening their friendship.

Before Donghae’s eyes turn glassy, he feels him being hugged.

“Hyukkie’s sorry, Haehae,” said Hyukjae to Donghae’s ears. “Hyukkie loves Hyukkie’s little Haehae,”

The youngest among them smiles. “Haehae loves Hyukkie, too.” He hugs the latter back.

Hyukjae feels so happy that he wishes he could stop the time, so they’ll be like this longer than they could. He wants to spend the night with only Donghae because tomorrow, there’s a big possibility they can’t be able to be able to see each other again.

His heart is sad when remembering tomorrow. He’s sad for lying to Donghae, too. But, this is for their good. He doesn’t like his own decision, but this is for Donghae’s sake, anyway. And he wouldn’t want to go with Donghae crying of it.

Hyukjae draws a big circle on Donghae’s back with his palm repeatedly. Not long after that, Donghae falls asleep in his hug.

Since he’s quite light, Hyukjae could piggyback Donghae to Donghae’s home easily. As the house is not far away from where they stand, Hyukjae doesn’t have any problem to go there.

Once they have reached there, Hyukjae asks for Donghae’s mum’s permission to let him to sleep with Donghae. She doesn’t mind because they’re neighbours and she knows how kind and well-mannered Hyukjae is.

So, that night, Donghae and Hyukjae sleep in each other’s hug.

The oldest cries in his sleep, scared of tomorrow.

 

‘Where is Haehae?’ Donghae mutters while looking at his surroundings. Nothing is here, except him and white. He’s in a place without any start or ending space. It’s as if he’s in the earth’s line.

‘Umma, appa?’ called him. ‘Hyukkie?’

Suddenly, a door appears in front of him. As he’s curious to know what behind the door is, he opens it and steps in. Then he finds he’s in a room full of candles. There’s a path which is leading to a chair and a cake which is on a table.

‘Donghae,’ He hears a voice calling his name.

‘Who is it?’ asked him.

‘It’s not important who I am,’ said the voice. ‘You like Hyukjae, right?’

Donghae nods. ‘Yesh! Haehae loves Hyukkie!’

‘Leave him.’

The little boy gasps. ‘Wha-why? Why shuld Haehae leave Hyukkie?’

Suddenly, all the candles die out, and the chair turns into Hyukjae.

‘You wouldn’t want him to break, would you?’ Hyukjae falls to the ground and some of his face crashes. ‘Say to him that you don’t need him.’

Donghae trembles. He doesn’t know what to do. He doesn’t want to leave Hyukjae, but he doesn’t want Hyukjae to be like that, either.

What should Haehae do?

 

Donghae immediately wakes up. He is panting heavily and sweats don’t stop trickling on his forehead.

Hyukjae who just came back from the bathroom, is shocked to see Donghae’s no longer sleeping. “Haehae, wat’s wrong? Did you hav a nightmare?” asked him while walking to the younger.

The nightmare plays in Donghae’s mind when Hyukjae brings himself closer to him.

‘You wouldn’t want him to break, would you?’

‘Say to him that you don’t need him.’

He bites his lower lip and pushes Hyukjae who startles seeing his sudden act. “Haehae don need Hyukkie,” said him, trying his best to avoid from meeting Hyukjae’s eyes.

“Wat?”

“Haehae doesn’t need Hyukkie because Hyukkie-”

“Because I’ll gone soon?” snapped Hyukjae, suddenly feeling irritated. “Is it because of that Haehae doesn’t need Hyukkie anymore? Haehae doesn’t want to be Hyukkie’s frend just because we culdn’t meet again tomorrow? And tomorrow, Haehae wuld play wid Siwon hyung, is Hyukkie right?”

Donghae doesn’t know what to say as he doesn’t understand what Hyukjae is saying. “Hyukkie, it’s a misunderstood. Haehae-”

“Wat? Are you trying to say dat I’m speaking bulls?” Donghae gasps, shocked to hear Hyukjae calling him ‘you’ instead of ‘Haehae’, and since when does Hyukjae learn to say bad words?

Without wasting any time, Hyukjae leaves the room.

Once the sound of the door being slammed harshly can be heard, Donghae cries as much as he wants.

Is Haehae doing the right thing?

He keeps asking himself the same question, but he doesn’t get the answer.

He doesn’t know.

He doesn’t know what to do.

He doesn’t know anything.

He just wants Hyukjae to come back and hug him like always.

But, Hyukjae doesn’t come back.

Donghae ends up asleep while waiting for the latter.

 

Donghae walks to Hyukjae’s house solemnly. He does have a sleep, but he couldn’t dream sweetly. Sometimes, he wake up to see if Hyukjae comes to his house or not – and he didn’t. Donghae gets eyebags under his eyes that don’t shine brightly anymore.

He stops when he sees Hyukjae’s home is dark and the gate is locked. Hurriedly, he backs to his own house.

“Umma!” shouted little Donghae. “Where awe Hyukkie nd Hyukkie’s family?”

His mum stays silence for a moment. “Haehae,” She walks and squats in front of him. Then, she stares right into his eyes. “Hyukkie is at the SJ Hospital.”

The words are like knives that are piercing his heart. “He has a heart cancer and now, he’s in the ICU for a surgery,” continued his mum.

Donghae trembles. The pieces finally form together into a complete puzzle.

“If Hyukkie is missing, wat wuld Haehae do?”

“Hyukkie’s sorry, Haehae.”

“Hyukkie loves Hyukkie’s little Haehae,”

‘You wouldn’t want him to break, would you?’

‘Say to him that you don’t need him.’

“Because I’ll gone soon?”

“Is it because of that Haehae doesn’t need Hyukkie anymore? Haehae doesn’t want to be Hyukkie’s frend just because we culdn’t meet again tomorrow?”

He feels bad.

Stupid!

He should’ve known that Hyukjae is acting real weird this lately.

Stupid!

He has made his Hyukjae sad and hurt him.

He’s so stupid!

How could he not know it? He’s Hyukjae’s best friend!

“Haehae, it’s better if you go to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter