1

Standstill

“Good morning” A guy holding a platter of newly cooked bacon and eggs appeared before Kyungsoo’s eyes. He was wearing blue shorts and was intimately looking at him as if waiting for something. Kyungsoo’s head hurts like hell, he can’t think straight or see things clearly. Everything’s a blur. So he shifted his gaze to the blue shorts guy trying to recognize the face or anything but undoubtedly Kyungsoo failed. He kept on scanning memories from his brain – memories from last night, because Kyungsoo thought they might help him sort things out, but he could not find anything so he tried again. Before he can remember what happened or who the blue short guy was; the guy gently placed his lips on Kyungsoo

“I love you hyung”

 

And in an instant, Kyungsoo remembered everything.

 

“I love you.”

 

 

***

 

 

                It was 6am in the morning and Baekhyun was standing in front of his best friend’s house waiting for someone to open the gate after he knocked a couple of times.  He had been here for countless times. Baekhyun had memorized every corner, every broken window, unpainted part, and even cracks.  

It was an unsual morning for Baekhyun waking up at four in the morning, he never was awake during those times, he should be savoring the sleep but for this day he sacrificed everything. It was a cold morning because winter had started and Christmas was fast approaching. With trembling lips and freezing hands, he was struggling on his hold on the cake and a set of balloons.

It was his best friend’s birthday and he would like to be the first one greeting him personally. So he waited for a couple of minutes praying that someone will finally open the door. He still have to head back home and prepare because he has a class that starts at 7 and he doesn’t want to be late but yeah, even though he doesn’t want it to happen, he already knew it will, he will be late.

“Come on. Someone please.”

And at last, someone had managed to open the door.

                “Hi!” Baekhyun said while his lips quivered.

                “Hello.” His best friend’s cousin smiled at Baekhyun, “It’s freezing isn’t it?”

                “Seriously?” Baekhyun asked, a little pissed.

                “Just joking!” The boy chuckled and let Baekhyun in. Baekhyun noticed the stare was diverted to the things he was holding.

                “You know, birthday surprise.” Baekhyun smiled and shrugged.

                “You put a lot of effort in it. Tell Chanyeol, Happy Birthday.” He winked and bid Baekhyun goodbye.

                “Sure.” And Baekhyun proceeded straight to Chanyeol’s house. As he opened the door, Baekhyun saw Chanyeol’s mom making breakfast.”

                “Hi Mrs. Park, I’ll surprise Chanyeol for his birthday.”

                Mrs. Park smiled, “He’ll be the happiest.” Baekhyun had always been amazed by the Park family, by the way the family ties that enveloped them kept the whole family full of smiles and worry free everyday living.

                Yura, Chanyeol’s sister had suddenly appeared. “You’re early today.” She commented as she helped Baekhyun with the cake.

                “It’s Chanyeol’s birthday.”

                “Of course.” Yura smiled but Baekhyun had caught something beneath the grin. It was something Baekhyun can’t put his finger onto.

Yura led Baekhyun to the stairs and was still smiling as they climbed up.

“This will be his best birthday.” Yura whispered before leaving Baekhyun in front of Chanyeol’s room.

Not placing any meaning behind Yura’s words, Baekhyun slowly opened the door and walked towards the sleeping giant. Baekhyun looked at him and he can see his hair so messed up and how Chanyeol slept like an angel.

Baekhyun had lit the musical candle and the soft tunes of Happy Birthday played.

Little by little, Chanyeol moved, his eyes started to opened and when Baekhyun noticed,

                “Happy Birthday!” He loudly cheered.

                Chanyeol’s eyes were wide open, clearly baffled at what happened and he attempted to speak but no words would come out. Seeing the cake and balloons made it worse. Chanyeol wanted to smile but he could not move. He was too happy, too surprised, too much emotion. Baekhyun looked at him, with his signature eye smile.

“Happy birthday Chanyeol!” Baekhyun repeated.

This time, Chanyeol moved as he stood up and hugged Baekhyun.

And for the first time in 12 years, Chanyeol had uttered the words for Baekhyun to hear but not with the same intent, not with the same meaning.

“I love you.”

Chanyeol had been in love with his best friend ever since he laid his eyes on him.

Chanyeol had said too many I love yous, Baekhyun had responded too many I love you toos but today, Chanyeol wanted a different I love you, Chanyeol wanted a different I love you too.

“I love you too, Chanyeol.”

 

 

but,

 It was the same I love you too.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

                “Hi Sehun!”

                “What are you doing today, Sehunnie?”

                “Do you want to eat lunch with me?”

                “Sehun?”

                “Sehunnie! Sehunnie! Sehunnie!”

                “Sehun”

                “Sehun”

                “Sehun”

               

                Sehun heard his phone ringing continuously, thinking whether to answer or just let it ring for he knew who was calling.

                Despite his struggles not to pick up his phone…

                “Hello”

                “Sehun!”

                Sehun sighed, he imagined Luhan smiling from the other end of the line. “Yes, hyung?”

                “I want to watch a movie today, do you want to come with me?”

                “I have classes today, hyung.”

                “That’s too bad.” There was a hint of disappointment in Luhan’s voice.

                “I really want to watch this movie.”

                “Luhan hyung…”

                “Sehunnie, please?”

                Sehun sighed…

                “After my class, we can go and watch.”

                Luhan’s voice had brightened, “You’re the best  Sehun!”

                               

 

                “I love you.”

                Sehun never responds. Sehun never uttered any I love you but Luhan always did. Sometimes, Sehun thinks, Luhan was just accustomed to it. Luhan loves him, Sehun knows. But Sehun is in love with Luhan for God knows how long.

                In his mind, Sehun had repeated too many, “I am in love you. And I love you,” over and over again.

                He always hopes that some time, he would have the courage to say all the words out loud.

                But he would not, so Sehun settled for,

 

 

“I know hyung.”