Sometimes Love Lingers with a Bitter Taste

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Jessica's POV

 

It was a cold wet day. I had been running for my car when I passed the window of a quaint little teashop and noticed you seated inside, still breathtakingly beautiful. Your sudden appearance forced me to stop mid-step and stare through the rain soaked glass convinced that my eyes had lied. 

But they had not.

I watched entranced as you stirred your coffee with an elegant spoon before slowly raising the cup to your lips. You paused to savour the fresh ground aroma, then took a tiny sip, testing the temperature with the tip of your tongue. 
 

** *** **  


We sat in silence whilst you drank, both unsure of what to say. I waited patiently for you to speak, enjoyed the sight of you after so many years. You looked better than when we'd parted. A new confidence showed in your face that was reflected in your eyes and the way you wore your hair. "Hi, Jessi." was all you said, as if it had been days, not years since we had last seen each other.

Before I could respond the waitress arrived to greet me, she offered you another coffee and I requested chamomile tea. When she had left we continued our awkward silence. You smiled coyly, showing the eye-smile that still can make my heart skip a beat; nervously twisting the ring upon your finger until you became aware of my startled gaze.

It was a golden ring, third finger, left hand. I continued my stare awaiting explanation, unable to speak. 


Something in your bearing changed as you began to speak of him, transforming you from beautiful to extraordinary. I watched you lose yourself in memories, hearing nothing that you sai

Please log in to read the full chapter