One Life

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Jessica's POV

 

I reach out to touch her cheek, tracing gently the smoothness of her skin with my finger. She looks up at me through dewy eyes, chestnut and dappled with golden flecks. I lean over to press my lips to her cool forehead. Tiffany's cheek is pressed into the soft pillow, her face is wreathed in mahogany waves tinged with copper. She is smiling and has never looked so beautiful.

It was that smile that had captivated me seven years ago, a smile that changed my heart forever on our wedding day and sustained it day after day from then on. I met her in the rain one spring afternoon in Hangang Park. 

The sun had been shining all morning, there was a light breeze and little hint of the squall that was to follow. It was lunchtime and I had take-out sandwiches and a coffee from Rio Café near Hangang Bridge. Seoul had taken on a slightly greyer tone as the clouds blew in and it didn't take long for the rain to start to fall. I hurried across to the bandstand in Hangang Park and stood there, dismally staring out at the world. 

My first vision of her was a comical one. Bedecked in a black skirt and pale pink blouse, she darted across the path and up onto the grass, where the heel of her shoe became stuck in the earth. I watched as she struggled in the rain, which had begun to fall in steady sheets, and then begin to hop, shoe in hand, towards the shelter. She was soaked to the skin. Her hair either hung in bedraggled coffee spirals at her shoulders or was plastered across her cheeks and water ran off the end of her nose. As she shook out her hands, her sandwiches, which were limp and soggy in their wet paper bag, suddenly opened and shed their contents on my shoes. Chicken mayonnaise and sweet corn. 

"Oh, my God I'm so sorry," she said, her expression horrified. 

I just smiled. 

As the rain continued to drive across the park we stood next to each other staring silently ahead. Eventually, I caught her eye and was grateful of a small smile in return to ease the tension. I turned to offered her half my sandwich. She smiled, refusing politely and folded her arms self-consciously across her chest, her blouse was almost see-through. 

I removed my coat. "Do you want this, you're a little... uhm... see through there," I said. Oh God! "I wasn't looking or anything" I added quickly, feeling the colour rise in my cheeks. 

I must have looked completely at a loss, my mouth was flapping

Please log in to read the full chapter