Welcome To The Masquerade

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter


 

Jessica's POV
 

 

Pure white walls echoed the sweet, soft music of the orchestra from below the balcony. The white walls were decorated with ribbons of vibrate colors: reds, blues, yellows, and greens. Flowers wrapped their way around the pillars and the railings of the grand staircase on the south side of the ballroom. All around the floor were dozens of people all dressed in fine clothes, the women in silk dress in many colors, and the men in tailored made suits. Upon their heads was a sea of masks, each movement creating a wave along the dance floor. I gazed upon them with a blank expression that was hidden by my own mask. My eyes followed each couple as they dances to the slow rhythm of the music with fluid grace. There was several times, though, that I expected them to collide with each other, but none ever did, even with the room below me nearly filled to the brim.

    

The song died down, and applause bounced around the room, filling my ears. I waited for the noise to quiet before plastering a smile upon my lips and stepping closer to balcony railing. Only a handful of people have noticed me, but soon everyone's attention would be held by the person who has thrown this party.

    

"What a lovely sight it was to watch all of you dancing to that wonderful song," I said, my voice ringing clear as crystal as the voices below ceased their chattering. "I am almost sad that it ended so soon, but there will be plenty more chances for you to dance to your hearts' content in a minute. But now, I want to thank you all for coming. It has taken months of planning this event, so I am greatly please to see all of you here this evening. Please, do not think of yourselves strangers among my palace. Go wherever you please, but I doubt anyone would want to leave the delightful time in here."

    

A chorus of chuckles sounded from behind the elaborated mask staring up at me. I forced my smile to grow wider. "And finally: Welcome to the Masquerade Ball," I finished, and stayed where I was as the crowd applauded once more. Then the music started up again, and I watched as the people slowly started to dance once more.

    

I sighed and let the smile fall from my face. This evening was really a better turn out than I had imagined, but for some reason, I wasn't happy with it. The decorations were arranged in the perfect way, and the orchestra was playing beautifully, and yet, there was just something that wasn't satisfying me. And I knew exactly what it was.

    

Two arms wrapped around my waist and the feeling of lips brushing my neck pulled me from my thoughts. A small smile appeared on my face and I closed my eyes for a moment to revel in the feeling before the lips pulled away.

    

"You look beautiful tonight," a voice whispered in my ear.

    

"How can that be when I'm wearing a mask?" I asked, still smiling as I turned my head to look at the familiar friend.

    

Even with the purple, green, and gold lined mask covering her face, I could tell it was my Taengoo. Even her top hat couldn't hide the mess of dark brown hair on her head. It was only one of the many give aways that anyone could make her out in a crowd this size.

    

Taeyeon smiled and kissed my neck once more. "You always look beautiful," she replied simply, pulling me closer to her.

    

I would have argued with her on that point, but she was half right. I had spent hours getting ready to stand in front of the guest. It took half that time just to get my long blonde hair swept to one side of my face. My eyes glanced down at the sparkling white dress that flowed down my body to pool around my feet. All of this just so that the perfect party had a perfect hostess.

     

Taeyeon let her arms fall from my waist, and I was slightly disappointed. I looked over at her as she moved to stand beside me, hands on the balcony rail. Her eyes scanned the crowd slightly with a thoughtful expressing. Then they returned to me. I don't know what it was about that smile, but when she flashed it in my direction, it was hard to think straight for a moment as my heart fluttered.

    

"For the first queen of this kingdom, you certainly have done a fine job in running things," Taeyeon commented, turning around so she was leaning against the railing with her back.

    

I shook my head. "At first everything was good, but I fear things are changing," I replied, looking down at the dancing and laughing crowd once more.

    

"Oh? How so?"

    

I was silent for a moment, choosing how I should go about voicing my thoughts. "The kingdom is turning into one big masquerade," I start. I can feel Taeyeon's eyes on me, listening intently. "You know the length I go to in order to remain on top of everything. Which means I will also lie. Those lies started out small, but now they have woven themselves into the very fabric of this kingdom. They are affecting the people gathered below us, and even the music that's being played. We hear the soft notes ringing gently through the air, but we don't notice the harsh undertones that they are hiding because the musician isn't as skilled as he made himself out to be."

   

Please log in to read the full chapter