Cadburry Creme Egg

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

"I can't believe you guys have Cadbury Creme Eggs!" An excited customer exclaimed as she approached Jessica's counter.

 

Jessica's expression did not change from the icy expression that it always held. The only thing that changed were the location of her baby brown eyes as they travelled from the brunette customer with sparkling eyes to the box display of Cadbury Creme Eggs on the shelf beside the cash registers.

 

"They came in this morning." She answered flatly. Not understanding the need for such excitement.

 

"They never come out on sale this early!" The brunette grinned happily, grabbing a handful of the eggs and placing them on the counter.

 

It was currently ten days before the New Year and from what Jessica knew, Cadbury Creme Eggs sold best from New Years Day until Easter.

 

"Technically they're not on sale." Jessica spoke in the same indifferent voice. They were a dollar twenty-five cents, the same price as all the other chocolate bar type items.

 

"Well not for Candy Empire no, but for the rest of the world this is awesome!" The customer's smile never faded as she grabbed another handful, so far she had taken over half the display box which held forty-eight Cadbury Creme Eggs.

 

"Hmm." Jessica answered briefly as she began ringing in the vast amount of chocolate eggs.

 

"How are you not excited?" The brunette asked more out of curiosity's sake rather than concern.

 

"Don't be offended, hun." The voice of her coworker, Yuri, called from behind. She had apparently come up to cash register from her toy isle to write off some broken items. "She doesn't get excited about anything, not even payday."

 

The brunette laughed, looking back from the tall tanned woman to the blonde in cash register. "Surprisingly not hard to believe."

 

Jessica merely stared back at the smirking brunette with her icy glare, ringing the items through and placing them in the bag automatically.

 

"I don't see what's so good about them." Jessica finally answered truthfully.

 

The brunette's eyes widened in horrified, offended shock. "Not good? How can you say that? These are the best chocolates on earth!"

 

"I, personally, don't like chocolate."

 

"Unless it's white chocolate." Yuri cut in, still loitering around the counters. She was obviously enjoying Jessica's interaction, or lack their of, with her customer and Yuri even took the opportunity to throw in one of her 'playful' insults. "She's a spoiled little princess."

 

The customer had heard and registered what Yuri said but she chose not to respond due to her apparent shock at someone not enjoying her favorite treat.

 

"But Cadbury Creme Eggs are the best chocolate in the world! You have to like them! No one doesn't like Cadbury Creme Eggs... it's like someone saying they don't like Parfaits! Everybody loves Parfaits!"

 

Jessica blinked at the enthusiastic remarks of the brunette girl. She had to admit, even if she didn't show it physically, she was getting quite the entertainment out of how worked up the brunette was getting. She even got the reference and decided to escalate things.

 

"I don't. I prefer burgers... cheese burgers."

 

"Oh now the ogre's got a sense of humor!" The brunette smirked with a brief laugh. "So why don't you like them?"

 

"Actually depending on the flavor, I don't mind them." Jessica answered as she continued to ring in the large pile of eggs.

 

"Flavor?" Taeyeon's eyes narrowed accordingly to Jessica's prediction. "But they only have one..." Realization dawned on the brunette as she stared blankly at the blonde with a playfully perturbed smirk. "Oh very good. I meant the eggs not the parfaits."

 

Jessica was well aware of that fact, she simply wanted to torment the brunette as much as she could, it was the most entertainment she'd had all morning.

 

"I had one when I was a child and I didn't like it." The blonde answered curtly.

 

The brunette stared at her silently for a moment with a calculating expression. "Are you saying you haven't had one since you were a kid."

 

"Not since I was seven."

 

"You're how old?"

 

"Twenty four."

 

"You've gone seventeen years without ever trying a Cadbury Creme Egg." Her question was more in the form of a statement.

 

Instead of responding, Jessica opted to glance at the total on the screen of her register through her peripherals. "That will be thirty-seven dollars and fifty cents."

 

"Cool." The brunette smiled, her voice returning to a sensible volume, and she reached into her pocket and handed Jessica a fifty dollar bill.

 

Jessica had to say she was a little disappointed at the brunette's reaction. She wanted her to exclaim in rage about how the cost was far too much for a few chocolates even when in reality she bought exactly thirty of the little eggs. But she didn't. She was rather pleasant during the transaction and crumbled the receipt as she tossed it into the small bag of eggs that was handed to her.

 

"Have a good day." Jessica said the programmed farewell as the brunette started to walk around the counter and towards the door.

 

Jessica was confused when the brunette stopped to rummage around in her bag. Great, she was going to be one of those customers to recheck their receipts even after dismissing them.

 

Instead the brunette moved back to the counter with her hand extended. The brunette gestured to the blonde's hands with her eyes and, although Jessica never showed her caution physically, she was wary about bringing her open palm up underneath her customer's hand.

 

The hand opened and one of the Cadbury Creme Eggs that the brunette had purchased fell into the blonde's open hand.

 

Jessica eyed it and its owner suspiciously.

 

"Try it." The brunette insisted with a dimpled smile. "It's worth it."

 

Jessica looked at the egg in her hand before glancing back up to the brunette and suddenly she was interested for an entirely new reason.

 

"I'm Taeyeon, by the way." She grinned as she started walking away once again.

 

"Jessica. Is her name." Yuri answered for her, leaning against the shelf. Jessica wasn't surprised that her friend hadn't moved once during their entire conversation.

 

Taeyeon's eyes smiled at this. "Nice meeting you Jessica."

 

Jessica watched her leave over her shoulder but didn't say anything at all. Once the brunette had left the store, she looked back at her hand that continued to hold the small, chocolate egg.

 

**  ***  **

 

"She was cute." Yuri chimed sweetly as she leaned against the doorframe of the staff room.

 

Jessica looked up from her seat at the table where she was finishing the second half of her ham and cheese sandwich.

 

"Oh don't give me that look girl. Taeyeon, the brunette that gave you the egg." She pointed to the Cadbury Creme Egg from earlier that was sitting next to Jessica's glass bottle of Nestea.

 

Jessica merely stared at her with an expression that clearly told Yuri not to bother her.

 

"You may act like a cold, antisocial princess but we all know you have a drive just like the rest of us."

 

"Yeah Jessie, ask that brunette out of a date already." Tiffany, the stock room manager, called into the room as she passed by with a dolly full of boxes.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter