final

Matches

Victoria found peace in clouds of smoke. The dull flame reflected in her dark eyes as she blew it out. The white smoke rose from the wooden stick to above her head and then was swallowed by the fading sunlight. Victoria's tired eyes closed as she let her body fall onto the mattress. Her left arm hung off the bed. The odor of the gas filled her senses. She felt her heartbeat slow down and she took a deep breath. The tip of the wooden stick turned to black; the other half was held by her cold hand. The illuminating pink from the setting sun faded to purple then to gray. Darkness soon engulfed her room. Her right hand which remained on her unkempt bed searched for the lighter and in a few minutes, light returned to the dark. Her eyes intently watched the flame above her move; it wildly swayed to all sides but never burned out.

Victoria wasn't scared of the dark but rather she feared being alone. Darkness felt empty. Victoria found happiness in the dancing colors of the flame as it brought light. Smoke calmed her as it reminded her of an ending that she could control.  It wasn't out of her reach unlike her relationship with Yixing. She could light the wooden stick whenever she wanted and she could quickly blow it out if she was bored. It was the same with Yixing. He controlled every aspect of their dying relationship. He could blow the flame out whenever he pleased.

The flame had faded away and Victoria set the match down. Her hand didn't reach for the lighter. She let the smoke drift in the still air of her room. She took in a deep breath and fell asleep thinking of Yixing.