A Stranger

Invincible

 It is so cold.

Even the blazing fire cannot heat the coldness.

And there is knocking on the door.

Who could it be? Who can stand such weather to come here?

Could it be...

"Kris-ge - oh." In front of the door a man in black, tattered cloak, shivering.

"H- help...p m...me," then the man collapsed on Tao's feet, to his horror.

 

****************

 

The door was slammed open revealed a panting Kris. Tao, who was hugging his knees and rocking his body back and forth in front of the fire flinched by the loud sound. The stranger laying unconsciously on the couch under a pile of blankets, his tattered cloak was hanging on the coat hanger beside the door.

"Tao!"

"G...ge? Kris-ge!" Tao jumps on Kris, clinging like his life depends on him.

"What happened, didi?" Kris was having a meeting with other village's leaders when he received a call from Tao, his voice shaking and in fear asking when will Kris be home. "Who's he?"

Tao who is sobbing desperately was wailing louder by Kris' question. "I...I'm sorry..hic...a...I know you told me not...hic...hic...not t...to let strangers in...hic...b...but h...he...th...that person was fainting in front o...of...f...the d...door...a...hic...and asking f...f...for help...I'M SORRY!!"

Kris pats Tao's back in assuring manner, rocking their bodies from side to side. "It's okay, didi. You're a good boy. We're going to help him okay? Don't cry anymore, okay?" Tao nods as Kris wipes his tears, his sobs slowly quietened. 

****************

The stranger was unconscious for two days before Tao heard him groaning, like in pain, that morning. Kris was out again, we need to hunt more foods to feed an addition mouth, he remembered Kris told him.

Tao slowly approaching him in mix of concern, cautious and fear. Before poking the stranger body.

"Mister?" The man groans again. "Are you a...awake?"

The man's eyes slowly open, before took in his surrounding. "Where am I?" The man eyeing Tao in confusion. 

"You're in my house, mister. Don't you remember? You knock my door, in urgent, I could say, and you passed out after you ask me for help," Tao explained. The man frowns, maybe trying to process the information that he just been told.

"I...I can't remember...do you know who am I?" Tao tilted his head in confusion.

"No, mister. It is the first time we're having a conversation.  What is your name, mister? I am Zitao," Tao smiles in expectantly, waiting for an answer. But the man's frown deepened. 

"I...I d...don't know. I can't remember," the man spoke in such a grave manner as he hold his head in both hands. "Who am I? Who am I? Who-" His body rocking back and forth as he pondering his mind, searching for the lost, simple information - his name.

Tao was started to panic. "M...mister?" The man ignored him, continue to questioning himself an answerless question. 

"Mister? MISTER!" Tao increased his voice as he shook the man's shoulder. The man awaken from his manic trance and stared at Tao in shock. 

"Please, be calm...and don't panic okay? I'll get some tea to help you keep your head clear, okay. Maybe this will help you...?" The man nods his head hesitantly. 

"Yeah yeah, some tea will do." Tao smiles reassuringly before walking to the kitchen, leaving the man to calm himself a bit.

****************

"Don't you remember anything?" Kris asked for the nth time.

"N...no. I...I've told you. I can't," the man answered desperately, hoping that Kris would stop with the question again. "B...but," the man stops his sentence as his frowned deeply, thinking hard.

"But," asked Kris in anticipation.

"B...but I remember... an odd feeling. Yes, a very weird sensation...like I'm floating-"

"Happy?"

"No, not happy. It is like you're literally lifted into the air...like floating," the man explained.

"That’s all?"

"Unfortunately," the man answered. Kris sighed heavily, defeated.

"So, what should we name you? We couldn't call you, you right?" The man keep mum, helplessly staring at Kris, silently sending his answer. Kris sighed again, he had sighed a lot today, he thinks.

"Okay. For the time being, let's just call you, Eric, okay?" The man nodded, now he is Eric.

****************

That day, it was not so cold, the wind is not harsh and the sun rise high on the afternoon. Kris use this opportunity to gather every family leaders in his precinct to introduce the new addition.

"Guys, we had a newcomer. This is Eric," he pats the man's left shoulder. Loud whispers errupted inside the log hall. Eric glanced at Kris in panic.

"Is it okay to let in a stranger?"

"I heard he did not even know himself!"

"He may be a threat!"

"Are you sure he not a spy from any goverments who want to overpower this village?"

"ENOUGH!" The hall silenced immediately. "I understand all your worries and concerns. But we have to think awhile.We can't let a person in need left astray, to die in this coldest seasons. I'm sure your consciences are better than this," Kris said.

"I hope all of you could coorperative enough and try to approve him as one of us now, maybe until he could regains his memory but with his decision, of course," continues Kris as he smiles reassurantly towards Eric and turned back to the rest of his audiences.

"If you have nothing more to discuss on this matter, we would now dismiss."

 


Yay! Succeed for the first chapter! (/ ^-^)/~~~

 Feel free to drop your thoughts in the comment box below~~