Prologue

Of Kings and Queens and Chessboards

It was the spring semester of my sophomore year in college when my life would start to change in some of the most good and bad way. I was in, my friend, Jack’s dorm room when I started clacking away on my laptop.

 

Google: TVXQ DBSK

Search results: About 26,800,000 results (0.14 seconds) 

 

Google:  Jung Yunho

Search results: About 259,000 results (0.25 seconds) 

 

Google: Kim Jaejoong

Search results: About 322,000 results (0.38 seconds) 

 

Google: Park Yoochun

Search results: About 328,000 results (0.20 seconds) 

 

Google: Shim Changmin

Search results: About 124,000 results (0.34 seconds) 

 

Google: Kim Junsu

Search results: About 309,000 results (0.22 seconds) 

 

Google: TVXQ DBSK lawsuit

Search results: About 190,000 results (0.32 seconds) 

 

As I searched, I read through the old headlines, “JYJ Wins SM Lawsuit”, “U-Know and Max Switch to Avex”, “DBSK Reunion”, “TVXQ to Hit the USA”. As the headlines passed my vision, I smiled at the thought. It has been about 6 months since DBSK came to the States and surprisingly, they had become a big hit among Western society with their old single “Mirotic”  had become the hottest Asian men in the world. Soon, they were everywhere and Cassiopeia had only gotten bigger. With TVXQ, other Asian bands and singers started to take part in the Western social scene and some of them were a big hit. So not only were there Spanish and English song on the radio, there were Korean, Chinese, and Japanese songs too.

 

Sure, there was this huge language barrier for all of their songs, but somehow people just started to like the beat and rhythm of the songs even though the songs were in Korean or Japanese or Chinese. When DBSK's first CD came out and hit platinum, all the lyrics were translated and it made them even more popular, which brings me to this moment of searching out their names as I have been doing for the past 2 years. I started giggle at the fact that I knew about DBSK way before they hit the States, which made me a veteran fan.

 

“Hey Patty!”

 

I broke out of my giggling reverie to see my friend Jack waving his hand in front of my face.

 

“What?”

 

“Can you believe it? We survived our 2nd year of college!”

 

I smiled at his dumb comment.

 

“Well, DUH!! Of course we would, we easily were able to avoid most of the drunk and high people!! But, ya know, it’s gonna be sad that we are all gonna leave soon. With me going back to ia and you going back to Philadelphia and all of our friends spread across the states.”

 

“well, yeah, so what are you gonna do this summer?” Jack said, nodding his head.

 

I tilted my head, thinking, “I think I’m gonna end up working at Mt. Kim teaching Gumdo or something to the little kids. Now that I think about it, I have to call Ms. Cindy, so she can put me in the worker’s schedule.”

 

“O god,” Jack facepalming himself, “I can just imagine you teaching little kids how to use swords as weapons of mass destruction.”

 

I quickly threw notebook at him, not taking my eyes of the laptop screen, “O shut up,” click, “Oh, hey… an e-mail.”

 

To: [email protected]

From:  [email protected]

 

Dear Patty,

 

It has come to my attention that you are in need of a summer job/ internship. (I heard from Ali, who was talking about it.) As one of my favorite students and one of the only people to have an outstanding grade in my class, I think I have something that would be worth your while. Come to my office around 3 o’clock tomorrow (at least I think you’ll be done with classes by then if not send another e-mail). So, see ya tomorrow!!! XD

 

Your Oh-So-Favorite Professor,

K ^_^

 

P.S. Does that sound professional or what!?

 

Wow, Dr. K…^_^d. “What’s it about?” I hear from behind me and look up from my position on the floor.

 

“O, Dr. K just wants to see me tomorrow. Apparently, he has something for me to do over the summer.” I replied, closing the e-mail and brushing my long dark brown hair out of my face.

 

“Ah, how is Dr. K anyway?”

 

“Eh? He’s good. I had lunch with him about a week ago. His wife is blowing up like a balloon. I think they’re expecting twins. Dr. K was ecstatic!”

 

I smiled at the thought of Dr. K’s excited nature when he was talking about his wife’s pregnancy. I had never seen a man so in love with his wife as Dr. K was. Dr. K Lee, or Dr. Kyung Lee in full, was my international relations teacher in my fall semester. He was the best teacher ever. He helped me so much to pass his class and in the end, I ended up getting an A, which was a total win. I remember talking to him in his office about his life here in the States and the life he had when he lived in Korea. It was really interesting when we started to talk about the different cultures and whatnot. He even taught me how to speak Korean, even though it took me a while to get it right.

 

After a the end of the fall semester, I ended up meeting his wife, who was the nicest person ever and well, ever since I’ve just been really close to them. I tend to go over to their house sometime for tea, conversation, and the occasional gumdo practice. Hey, I can’t exactly start swinging a sword around on a college campus, even if it was wooden, I would get into plenty of trouble. They were like my second parents who took care of me while I was away from my family.

 

“Cool, so what do you think he has?” Closing his laptop and inching forward to pick up the PS2 controller.

 

“I have absolutely no clue.”

 

Back then, I had no idea what was about to happen. Who would’ve known that in the next 24 hours my life would have been changed completely? Those 24 hours changed my life for the better, but also for the worse.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, how is it? I haven't written a fic in a long time, so comments would be nice. Thanks for reading!! :D