Hey Can You Smile?

And Can You Smile?

"We should really finish unpacking soon. Some of these boxes have just been sitting here for months." He laughed and nudged one of said boxes with his foot. She nodded slightly and sank further into the couch, if that was possible.

"Yeah."

Hoya frowned. He had noticed something was eating away at her over the past few days. She didn't eat much anymore (sometimes he practically had to force her), she didn't smile as much, and she had gotten quieter. This behavior wasn't like her at all. He had fallen in love with the girl whose smile could light up a room. He hadn't seen that smile much lately. He was determined to change that.

She was lost in her own world, letting her mind wander, so he had no doubt she didn't notice him leave the apartment. He jogged down the street and flagged down a taxi. He hated being out late by himself, but this was an emergency situation. After ten minutes he arrived at his destination, paid the driver, and ran into the coffee shop in front of him.

He ordered all her favourites. The shop wasn't busy, so it didn't take long for his order to be ready, but he still tapped his fingers on the counter impatiently. They handed him the bag, he paid, and left almost as quickly as he had come in. He could feel the light drizzle of the coming storm once he was further down the street. Her favourite weather, perfect.

By this time, Hoya had been gone for over thirty minutes, and she was starting to worry. Where did he go? She felt bad for not asking him, or offering to go with him. Honestly speaking, she wasn't sure where her mind had been the last few days. There was so much going on at work, and in her personal life as well. Not to mention her anxiety issues had arisen. Even so, she regretted not acting like a better girlfriend over the past few days.

The rain started to come down in a steady torrent, but he still wasn't back. She began pacing back and forth in the living room. Where was he? He wouldn't have gone out with the other members - they were all busy. She sighed and sank back onto the couch, clutching onto one of the pillows. Her head was pounding. This particular headache was due to the stress that seemed to pile up relentlessly, and no amount of medicine had seemed to work thus far.

It was almost another twenty minutes before he finally returned. She hadn't left her spot on the couch, and her legs felt heavy when she uncrossed them. She had had the intention to meet him at the door, but before she knew it he was sitting on the couch next to her, shoving three plastic bags into her lap.

"Enjoy!" She looked down at the bags, wide-eyed. It was all her favourites - the coffee she loved, the foreign food she rarely got to eat, and the candy she used to have when she was a kid. Not to mention the large jar of Nutella in the bottom of the one of the bags. She looked back up at her boyfriend in bewilderment.

"You went out in the pouring rain to buy me this?"

"Of course! Now, I'm starving. Let's eat."

 

She hadn't laughed this hard in months. She had already forgotten what had her rolling on the floor in side-splitting laughter, but she didn't care. She was finally enjoying herself. Hoya smiled and slid across the floor to the space next to her. He playfully tickled her and joined in her laughter. Her smile was back, and his was brighter than ever. She loved his smile. 

They carried on that way - rough-housing, laughing, tickling, more laughing - until they were too tired to move. With a happy sigh, Hoya rolled over and lay next to her on the wood floor of their apartment. They were silent for a while, but it was a comfortable silence.

"Thank you." She turned her head and smiled at him again. She felt like the largest weight had been lifted off her shoulders. He propped himself up on his side and scooted closer to her, his face inches away from hers. "I feel so much better." He returned her smile and kissed her.

"I'm glad." He pulled her into his arms and rolled onto his back again, one hand absent-mindedly playing with her hair. "Just remember, there's always a reason to smile." She breathed in, enjoying everything about that moment.

"How did I ever manage win over someone like you, Hoya?"

"You didn't have to do anything."