First Meetings

On the Wings of Love

Everything had been planned well in advance for this particular mission because it was going to be the hardest one any angel had ever pulled off. Of course the best was chosen in order to make things sail as smoothly as possible. Song Min Jee had been an angel for quite a long time and she’d completed several missions within her heavenly term to be chosen for managing tasks given to angels. First she needed to complete this last one to prove she was capable of moving up in the ranks.

“Are you ready?” The voice made Min Jee jump in the middle of putting her hair up into a pony tail. “Yah!” She made a face at Jin Woo before pulling her hair through the elastic band. He was her sunbae and the person that helped her out this entire time, but he acted more like a fatherly figure. “You sure have the actions of a human woman figured out. You take just as long as they do to get ready.” He clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth while shaking his head.

“Stop by bugging me. I’m nervous enough for this. It’s my one big test to make it.” She said as she grabbed the black purse, “Wish me luck, huh?” Standing in front of him with a smile he nodded, “Okay. Good luck.” His face and voice both didn’t show that he was all too enthusiastic for her. Muttering under her breath she walked past him to put on her shoes and head out of the apartment.

Being an angel had its own little perks when you started out a mission to set someone’s fate back on track. Of course she had all the clothes she’d need, a nice little apartment to suit a decent salary, and of course all the right documentation to make sure she appeared just like anyone else. The only thing that made her stand out was the fact she was a little too pretty as all angels were.

She was on her way to get a job at Ju Sun’s company as his assistant. Recently the position had opened up because the former secretary mysteriously came upon something they just couldn’t pass up. Dressed in a suit that showed off her figure just a little but made her look profession enough for the job, she watched the scenery pass by inside the taxi. Unfortunately no angel was permitted to own a car for whatever reason she would learn when she moved up in the ranks.

“Shin Headquarters.” The driver announced as he pulled up in front of the building. Min Jee thanked him and handed him his pay before getting out of the car. “So this is where I start. Aish, this man is going to be so difficult.” She shook her head before walking into the building where she went straight to the elevators.

Today was the interview after submitting her resume not too long ago. She had been told that the president, who happened to be the one part of her task, would arrive mid-interview in order to make sure she was suited for the position. That would be perfect for her because she needed to know what he looked like. She was also not permitted to know beforehand what any of the people she had to work with looked like. Just one of those things to make your job harder than it should be.

Stepping off the elevator she made her way toward the desk where the executive assistant sat. He looked up at her and smiled, “Song Min Jee?” Nodding her head she stuck out her hand which he stood up and took as they both gave a half bow. “Nice to meet you, I’m Han Jae Shik. Come with me. It would be best to have the interview in Mr. Shin’s office since he’s in a meeting right now.”

Following the assistant into the office she looked around carefully to see how boring and plain it was. The office was far too modern, colored black and white to give it a rather cold feeling. She shivered as she walked over to the seat the assistant gestured to. “The office is really…. nice.” She didn’t know what else to call it without seeming rude.

He shrugged slightly as he looked around, “I don’t know about that. I think it’s a little too plain. Don’t tell Mr. Shin I said that.” So it seemed that Mr. Shin was definitely someone to watch out for with his personality. Poor thing had really been hurt by not having his love returned and instead it went to his friend. She felt bad for him now that she began to see just the way things were.

“The interview should be easy enough, I just want to confirm some things on your resume. Then Mr. Shin should be here at any point to ask you a few questions of his own. Ready?” Jae Shik smiled at her and she smiled back. He seemed nice enough, as if his life was a pretty good one or he just had that sort of personality. She could definitely get along with him. “Of course.” Just as Jae Shik opened his mouth to speak the door swung open and they both looked up quickly to see who it was.

The man she was to change the life of had just walked in and he didn’t look too happy. In fact he seemed absorbed inside his own thoughts as he walked to his desk and threw a folder inside a desk drawer. He began to mutter something to himself before pausing to look over at Jae Shik and Min Jee. His face went blank before he straightened out his tie and walked over to them.

Both stood up from their places to bow low and then wait for Ju Sun to be seated. “Song Min Jee.” His voice was a bit startling to her because unlike humans she could hear every emotion in someone’s voice. His voice held anger, resentment, sorrow, pain, and hopelessness. How could someone have all those sad emotions inside them? “Eh?” She sat down slowly and he watched her. “What do you know about Shin Enterprise?”

What did she know? So this is what Jin Woo had been nagging her about for the last few days. She bit the inside her cheeks as she searched her mind for the answer. “Ah, well, I know that you’ve only been the president of Shin Enterprises for the last few years. Since you became the president stock prices have went up and so have investments into new projects for the company.” All of that had been grabbed out of thin air and she hoped she was right.

His face lit up just a little to show he was impressed and agreed with her. “That’s correct, but do you know what it is we do?” In her head she was panicking. Why hadn’t she listened to Jin Woo more? Oh that’s right, he was annoying when she wanted to just get to know what her human life was suppose to be to everyone else.

“Oh… that. Shin Enterprises does… uhm.” She watched as his face quickly went from impressed to annoyed. She heard Jin Woo’s voice whisper the information in her ear which made look between both men in hopes they had no idea but of course they were clueless. “Shin Enterprises is the top construction, electronics, and banking company.”

Ju Sun looked her over but didn’t comment about what she said, “Do you think you can handle being my secretary? You have to be here an hour before I am, have my coffee prepared the way I want it, run errands in the amount of time requested, see to it my car is always prepared before I walk out of the office, accompany me on business trips, all messages must be recorded word for word with pen and paper, and anything else that I may need. Can you handle that?”

What did he need exactly, a secretary or a slave? She had a half a mind to tell him he was being ridiculous but of course she couldn’t do that. After all she needed this job and to get close enough to him to make things work accordingly. So holding back on her words she nodded, “Of course, I’d be more than happy to.”  Something she didn’t manage to catch flashed over his face which made her a bit wary.

“I come in at seven o’clock every morning unless I tell you otherwise. I like my coffee with two sugars and one cream in a ceramic mug.” He stood up from his place and went to his desk where he began to look through some papers. Jae Shik motioned toward the door which Min Jee realized meant it was time to leave. Following instructions she left the office with Jae Shik behind her.

“Looks like you have the job then. Make sure you’re here at six o’clock exactly. If you’re late he’ll know and make your day really hard. Try to be on time, alright? When you get here I’ll do my best to help you through everything before he gets here.” He was definitely a nice guy. “Thank you very much. I’ll see you tomorrow sunbae.” With a wave they said their goodbyes to one another.

Leaving the building Min Jee let out a deep breath glad that the first part was now over with. Now to return home so she could change and maybe get the second part accomplished by meeting the other person. “You’re going to try and meet both men in one day? Of course, you’re suppose to live up to being a human woman.” Min Jee rolled her eyes as she looked over at Jin Woo who stared back with an arrogant expression. “Yah, what are you trying to say right now?” She placed a hand on her hip and he smirked as he noticed that. “Oh, I’m getting to you already? Good, go home and get some rest. How are you going to meet both men on the same day? Don’t you think that would be too much?”  Looking away from him she watched a taxi pull up in front of her. She quickly got in and waved to him as he watched the car drive off while shaking his finger at her.

Who did he think he was exactly? She didn’t care what he said, she was going to meet the other man today. After all, the two were no longer friends and she had to mend that so how exactly would that make either suspicious? So she returned home in the taxi where she could change into more appropriate clothing.

It took a few hours and lying to Jin Woo who pestered her the entire time she prepared to leave. He was an angel though which meant he knew she was lying and did his best to hold her in the apartment. “Get out of the way Jin Woo-ssi! I have to leave right now.” He held his ground as he stood in front of the door with his hands touching either side of the door frame.

“No! You are not going to meet him. I already told you how this would look and you try to lie to me?” He scoffed shaking his head, “I’m your sunbae so you should listen to me. Don’t you want to get to where I am? Why aren’t you listening to what I tell you? I’m here to make sure you get moved up higher but you insist on being reckless.”

Folding her arms across her chest she made a face at him. “Why do you even care, huh? This is something that I have to do which means that I can’t just listen to you. This whole thing is to test me not to test you. So why stop me from doing this?” Jin Woo gritted his teeth as he looked away from her. She was right in what she was saying but he couldn’t help himself in helping her.

“Fine. I’ll let you do what you want this time, but next time it’s not happening. I know this is to test you but if I can help you make it, I’m going to. Got it?” He pointed his finger at her and wagged it a few times as if he were a parent scolding a child. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I got it. Just move out of the way already.” Jin Woo gave her one last look before leaving.

Looking up at the ceiling Min Jee shook her head and clicked her tongue before heading out. She was dressed up a bit more than earlier, with a cute baby pink dress and heels. This would surely catch the next mans attention. Even though she had no idea what either looked like, she knew their stories and their lives. Ahn Seo Joon happened to be a bit of a ladies man that was a little too promiscuous. She would help end that soon.

Where she was headed was the little music shop that he owned. Even though it wasn’t a place most people would be seen shopping at, women happened to flock there because of Seo Joon. He was good looking and very smooth with his words. So even if they had no reason to buy something from his shop, they would still buy just because they wanted an excuse to see him without seeming like crazy women.

It didn’t take her too long to appear in front of the shop and carefully looking around to be sure that no one saw her. Taking a breath she walked over to the quaint little building and looked into the windows casually. She glanced up a few times to see if Seo Joon was watching her but he was busy inside with a few women who were far more ‘underdressed’ than she was.

“How can they go around looking like that? What if their parents seen them? Women lose their innocent far too easily these days.” She’d been around long enough to have seen the change in clothing as the years went on. Just like all angels, they were highly disappointed in humans choices at times but at one point they had also been someone.

Min Jee had been human when there was still royalty in Korea. She didn’t remember who she was exactly or how she’d become an angel exactly, but it was like everyone else. She’d been a very good person within her lifetime and she’d been given a choice. Either she went on to her next life where she had no idea who she’d become or she became an angel that would help the fates of those who had twisted them in ways they shouldn’t have. In the end she had chosen to be an angel but she wondered what she’d done so well previously to have such a marvelous choice.

Catching the gaze of Seo Joon her eyes went wide and she quickly averted her eyes else where. How long had she been staring at him? Hopefully he hadn’t noticed that. “Excuse me.” she looked up to see him with that gentle smile, “Aren’t you bored out here on your own? Why don’t you come inside.” With a slight bow she agreed and followed him inside.

The little music shop was quite pretty. There were many instruments there that played plenty of glorious melodies. Well if she wanted to catch Seo Joon’s attention away from those women who went back to practically throwing themselves at him, she’d have to impress him.

He watched her carefully as she went about looking over instruments and gliding her fingers across a few. She glided her fingers across some piano keys which filled the shop with light notes. Walking past that one she noticed a violin which would be pretty to play but she only strummed a few chords with her finger tips before moving on.

Clearly Seo Joon was curious about this woman because he kept staring at her. The other women would snag his attention for a moment only for him to watch Min Jee once more. She walked over to a drum set and smiled as she tapped the drum with her index finger. “This should do the trick.” She whispered to herself as she quickly sat down.

Seo Joon watched as this woman who held a glow around her picked up the drum sticks and eyed everything a few times. He listened to the women around him make little remarks about her pretending to be someone great and getting Seo Joon to pay attention to her. As they were rolling their eyes and giggling at her expense, Min Jee began to play.

The sound of the drums being played as if she knew the instrument for years made Seo Joon move away from the two women. He walked toward Min Jee slowly completely captivated by the talent she possessed. All this really proved though was that sometimes Min Jee had far too much time on her hands being an angel. Just because they were pretty beings with wings didn’t mean they didn’t have a little fun now and then.

Finishing off the drum solo Min Jee grinned and put the drum sticks down. Seo Joon applauded her work and she bowed in return. “I didn’t know someone as pretty as you could play drums that well.” He commented more than obviously interested in her now. “That just goes to show you that you can’t judge someone by the way they look. Everyone can do something you’d never expect them of.” Her eyes quickly shifted toward the women who weren’t at all happy with her, they left without saying goodbye.

“Ah, looks like my playing ran out two customers. I’m sorry.” He laughed and shook his head, “Don’t worry about it. Though this is the first time I’ve seen you here. Why is that?” She shrugged as she looked around, “Just is. Maybe I’ll see you again soon, but I should be going now.” She started to walk toward the door only for him to catch up and stop her. “You didn’t even tell me your name.” She cheered for herself inside her head.

“Song Min Jee. Why?” She tilted her head a little to one side as he accepted that answer. “Mm, it’s a pretty name. I’m Jung Seo Joon. Hopefully you’ll come visit me again here?” She pretended to think about that as if it were a hard decision. Tapping her nail against her chin he seemed to become slightly worried. “Please? I’ll let you play the drums when ever you want.” She laughed and stuck her hand out, “Fine. I’ll come back often then to play the drums.” With a handshake they made a deal.

Min Jee said her goodbye and walked away with a smile. It had been a short encounter but strong enough for him to want to see her again. She had taken note of the emotions his voice carried which was actually quite similar to Ju Sun’s. “Only Seo Joon seemed to have hope rather than hopelessness. I wonder why that is… could it be that maybe that girl will be coming back soon? Maybe she still keeps in contact with him. Ah, I really have to find out so I can get that meeting out of the way too.”

Hearing her phone ring she pulled that out to see Jin Woo’s name on the caller ID. “What do you want now?” She snapped at him and could hear him laugh at her, clearly amused. “Hurry up and get back. You have work at six in the morning. You need to prepare yourself for that just in case Ju Sun does something unexpected.”

She rolled her eyes while kicking a small stone, “It’s not even dark out yet. Can’t I at least go out for food? Hm?” She quickly pulled her phone from her ear as he yelled at her, “Hurry up! I have food waiting for you here!” Min Jee puffed out her cheeks clearly annoyed at him, “Fine, I’ll be there soon. Stop acting like my father.” She hung up shaking her phone as if she was shaking him. “I guess I should listen to him for now. Hopefully he made something decent to eat.”

Calling for a taxi by waving her hand in the air she wondered what her day would be like tomorrow. Surely Ju Sun couldn’t be all that bad from what she had learned. Maybe today was just a bad day for him. She’d seen the way he acted when he walked into the office. Then again he was the ice prince according to all the other angels. Well if she managed to make him fall in love surely she could get a better position than Jin Woo. She smirked as she rode in the back of taxi imagining the other having to use honorifics when speaking to her.