That Beautiful Night Sky

Change

That beautiful night sky I would never be able to see again.

 

I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating and groggily opened my eyes. I blinked a few times and allowed my eyes to adjust to the darkness.

Gosh, who the hell would call me at this timing?

I searched around the bed for my phone. 

There!

I was about to pick up the call when the caller suddenly hung up. I furrowed my eyebrows and strangely looked at my phone.

What the?

I went through my call history only to realise that it was Dongwoo, my best friend.

Can we meet?

A text message came a few seconds later.

My eyes widened as I tried to figure out what just happened. I blinked and my hands began to shake. I shook my head repeatedly, not believing what I just read.

Impossible.

It has been weeks since I've last seen Dongwoo. Three weeks and four days, to be exact. Nobody knew where he went. I went around almost the whole Seoul knocking on his friends' doors but nobody knew of his whereabouts. His parents got so worried that they called the police and even hired people to look around for him. But there were no news. He went missing without a trace. He was gone.

People thought he was missing, but I strongly believed that he ran away from home. However, despite me racking my brains out, I still couldn't figure out the reason why my best friend would leave like that. He wasn't this  He led such a wonderful life, a life that everyone would crave for. He had money, family and peers; he had no worries. So, why would he leave?

My jaw hung open as I stared down at my phone, speechless. I must be dreaming, I told myself and tried to calm down.

Bzz Bzz.

Another message came and I dropped my phone to the ground, shocked. I was sure that my heartbeat was irregular by now. Slowly, I bent down and picked up my phone. Fingers trembling, I read the new message.

I'm at the park.

I didn't even have the time to reply. I just ran straight out of my house, not even bothering to change into something more decent or grab a coat on my way out.

The moment I stepped out of my door, I shivered and instinctively wrapped my arms around myself.

I glanced at the quiet and empty streets, it was pitch black and ominous black clouds were covering the night sky. The wind was strong, messing up my hair in all sorts of direction. Winter hasn't approached yet but today was exceptionally cold. Well, can't forget the fact that I'm in my pajamas; it felt as if I was .

My teeth started to chatter and I felt my shoulders tensed up just by looking at the frightening sight in front of me. But I couldn't care less, I had to find Dongwoo. And so I did, I ran as fast as my legs could carry me.

Luckily, the park wasn't far away and I slowed down to catch my breath once it appeared in my sight. There was not a single soul out in the streets, it was silent; the only sound of the night were my loud breathing and the sound of crickets.

As I continued to run in a slower pace, I wondered to myself.

Where have Dongwoo been?

Why did he go missing?

Why did he ask to meet me?

And I assured myself that it would all be answered in a minute.

A figure was standing under a lamp post, staring at the ground. Even though he looked different from the last time I saw him, I could still recognise him. He was my best friend after all. I slowly made my way towards him, scanning him from head to toe. He changed.

He dyed his hair red. It used to be brownish black.

He was wearing a black zip up jacket and some dark blue jeans. He never liked wearing dark coloured clothes.

He lost weight. He used to be much chubbier.

Whenever I see him, I would feel happy. However, this time, I didn't feel that way. I don't know how to explain this but, his bright aura doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Dongwoo looked up and saw me. I staggered back, slightly shocked. 

I wanted to run towards him and hug him, asking him where he have been all these while, but i found myself swallowing back the words. And it was out of fear. I just stared back at him and I didn't even realise that my palms were getting sweaty. Again, i noticed something.

His fierce-looking eyes. It used to be so kind and happy.

I found myself feeling uneasy. My heartbeat was beating loudly, breaking the night silence. I wanted to run away, back to my bed and have a good night's sleep. But no, I'm never someone who does things halfway. If I start doing something, I will be sure to finish it. Clenching my fists tightly, I walked towards Dongwoo. My hands were behind my back and I found myself fiddling around with my fingers—a sign that I was nervous.

I was only a metre away from Dongwoo now. I bit my lip as I waited for him to speak. He didn't, and I decided to; I was tired of the staring game.

I took in a deep breathe, "W-why did you call me out?" My voice came out shaky and I had no idea why.

He didn't answer, his only reaction was to smirk. I was surprised, but I tried my best to hide it. 

"D-dongwoo?" I called out. He took a step forward. And another, followed by another. The only thing I did was to stare at him, I was unsure of what to do. All of a sudden, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me into an embrace. I gasped loudly and my eyes widened. What was happening? He never hugged me. Not even when we were the best of friends. He hated skinship, a lot.

But I was happy that he did. I hugged him back, tightly. His warm scent made me realise how much I have missed him. I shut my eyes, slowly forgetting about the questions I needed to ask him and the answers I needed to find out.

It was much more awkward than I imagined, but I felt a sense of protection because of his strong arms around me. I opened my eyes and glanced up at the sky.

The sky was dark, yet seemed magical. The luminous moon was full and looked so close I felt as if I could touch it. The stars were surrounding the moon, spread evenly and twinkled in the moonlight. I have never seen a night sky this beautiful, and I would never be able to see it ever again.

A single tear rolled down my left cheek as I felt an excruciating pain on my upper abdomen. I clutched onto the wound as I felt Dongwoo let go of me. My legs were weak; I was weak. I fell to the ground with a grunt.

I could feel Dongwoo looking at me. Yes. He was. I looked at him, then at the knife in his hand, then back at him. I couldn't look at the knife for long, it was dripping with blood—my blood. 

I breathed heavily, gasping for air. I couldn't feel, I didn't know what to feel. My lower abdomen felt numb, it was as if a part of me was gone. I could see that it was oozing with blood and a pool of red liquid was slowly forming. It was gross and I wanted to puke out the meals I ate today. I hated the sight of blood. 

My lips trembled, desperately trying open my mouth and ask him. Why? But I couldn't.

Dongwoo bent down on one knee and lifted my head up, propping it on his left thigh. His face was a few inches away from mine and we locked gazes. I couldn't read his expression, but for a second, I thought I saw guilt in his icy eyes. 

I could feel tears streaming down my face in a rapid pace. I couldn't explain what I was feeling. I was dying, what else could I feel? The pain? It hurts, it does. Even more when the person that did this to you was someone you cherished dearly, someone you never expected 

My mind was filled with thousand of questions. What happened to him? Why did he do this to me? What did I do wrong? What happened to our friendship?

 I needed to find out the answers, it was the reason why I came.

"Why..."

Unfortunately, I was too late. My time was up. My eyelids felt heavy and I couldn't take it anymore. I felt exhausted, I wanted to fall into deep sleep. Slowly, my eyes started to close... And all I could see was black, nothing else.

My world went black, so did his. He definitely changed.

 

 

I told you, it doesn't make any sense, right?  As you can see, I'm awful at being descriptive, forgive me. Also,  I don't know if I should include a Dongwoo's version of this... hmm. And before you go, do comment below and tell me what you think. If it's harsh, it's okay, I will forgive you <3