Becoming Better Friends

Borrowed Space

   “You have to be joking...please tell me you're not serious, Noona?” Nakhun pleaded with their new stylist when he stepped out of the dressing room to reveal the outfit, stuttering in disbelief, “I look like...like...”

   “Like a peacock.” Haekeun chimed in, looking down at his own wardrobe. He resembled some sort of reptile in his gray-green, faux-alligator pants and olive green shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

   Nakhun groaned in agreement, seeing the metallic bronze pants he had on and the loose green top with the peacock feather pattern printed all over it. “At least I didn't dress you like a Spanish chicken...” Snow called from across the room, where her attention was focused on trying to get Sangbum to stop readjusting his feathered vest with thin silver chains dangling down one side. “Keep complaining, mister, and I'll do it.” she scolded, despite the smirk on her lips.

   Yoon rolled his eyes at the empty threat and grinned to himself. He was decked out in a snow leopard printed jacket, sans shirt, and black skinny jeans, and an elastic head band. “Ya! Just wear it. It looks good on you.”

   Ssun, sporting black and orange tiger striped pants, hat, and shoes with a white shirt, sat in a chair, off to the side, grinning. He thought his own outfit was pretty awesome. “Hyung, you look fine. Noona wouldn't put you in something that looks bad. Unique, yeah, but not bad.”

   “Thank you, Ssun! See? At least someone gets it. Besides, the photoshoot is a jungle theme. Everyone has an animal look.” replied the distracted stylist as she shifted her gaze back and forth from a pair of hats, and the leader's head.

   “But Noona~!” Nakhun whined, figuring that a last ditch effort at her weakness for aegyo might just save him. Unfortunately, she cut her hazel eyes to him so sharply, glaring at him, he gasped and stopped arguing. Instead, he sat in his chair, getting the last touch-ups to his makeup done.

   “Men are such babies...” Snow mumbled under her breath, but Yoon heard and chuckled, nodding his head in agreement.

   “We can be.” He said simply, making the girl blush.

   Bowing her head with a noticeable wince, Snow apologized, “Mianhae...I didn't think you'd hear that.”

   Shaking his head, Yoon glanced over toward his sulking member, “Don't worry about it, Noona. He'll get over it.”

   Snow nodded, tilting his hat to accent his hair style and face with a smirk, “Oh, and the preparations for tonight are ready for you.”

   Yoon's eyes widened in surprise as he looked back at the petite girl standing over him in the mirror. Shifting uncomfortably, he lowered his voice and brought a finger to his lips to hush her, too. “Shhh! It's supposed to be a secret, remember?”

   Giggling more to herself, she nodded and mimicked the placement of his finger over her own mouth. “I won't say anything else. You boys are all done now. Get out there and make the camera love you!”

   With a pat to the back, Snow wandered off while Yoon called out to the others, “Let's go, guys. Let's work hard!”

   The group shared some encouraging words before working the photoshoot like true professionals. Snow watched from the sidelines, a mischievous smirk playing across her face. About two hours later, they were climbing into the van where she was waiting. As Yoon passed by, she slipped something into his hand, to which he gave a single subtle nod before pocketing it. Once all five boys were securely inside, they drove off toward the dorm.

   While the others were preoccupied with video games and practicing, Yoon found Nakhun typing away at a tablet, though it was possible he was playing a game instead of working, but he closed the program before the sandy-blond had a chance to check. “Busy?” Yoon wondered aloud, leaning his hip against the arm of the chair Nakhun was reclining in.

   The dusty orange-haired boy lifted his gaze to meet his friend's and flashed a warm smile, “Not really. What's up?”

   “Come on.” Yoon said, gesturing for the other to follow him. Nakhun raised a brow in confusion, but shrugged and followed the boy out of the dorm.

   They walked in silence, side by side, weaving through the sea of pedestrians until curiosity got the better of Nakhun, and he finally spoke up, “Where are we going, anyway? If you had to go to the store, why didn't you just say....” He stopped mid-sentance when Yoon halted his steps in front of an old building that hadn't been in use for over a month, but used to be a bakery, with an apartment on top. “Why are we here?”

   Yoon smirked and just led the boy inside the dark room. The counter and shelves that were once covered with delicious baked goods were still standing, but were covered by a thin layer of dust. The floor, however, looked to have been swept recently. “This way.” He whispered just loud enough to be heard, and gently pulled his friend around the counter, and through a door that lead to a narrow hallway. On one side, a flight of stairs, freshly carpeted, by the looks of things, and the other side led through another door. Inside was free of anything that might indicate that it was once used to bake anything, as all the tables, ovens, and cabinets were gone. All that remained was a single couch, some beanbags chairs, a coffee table, and a popcorn stand off to one side. The furniture was facing a blank wall.

   “What is this?” Nakhun asked, yet again, thoroughly lost about what was going on. It was too dark to see clearly in the room, even with the evening sunset streaming through the windows, so he missed the figure of a third body moving around behind them. As Yoon and Nakhun sat down on the couch, the new person made a rustling sound with a plastic bag.

   Nakhun jumped, startled by the noise, and both males turned toward the shadowed figure. It moved closer, but Yoon just watched, trying to hide his smile, and soon, multiple containers of food were spread out on the table, along with a few bottles of soda. Once everything was set out, the figure turned so the lingering light revealed her face. “Noona! What are you doing here?”

   Snow smiled and bowed her head slightly, “Just a favor. Hope you boys have fun. I'll be upstairs if you need me.”

   “Thanks...I think?” Nakhun replied, slightly suspiciously, but picked up one of the dishes she'd prepared. It looked good. It smelled good. After a quick taste test, he discovered that it tasted good, too, so he nodded more enthusastically and waved to the girl as she walked toward the back of the room. Pickung up a remote control, she pressed a few buttons, and an overhead projector and began to play some new thriller movie that was still in theaters. Then, she was gone, venturing up to her apartment to give the boys their privacy.

   “I did well, don't you think?” Yoon asked smoothly, stretching his arms high in the air before folding them behind his head and watching the movie.

   “I'd say 'yes' if I had any idea what this is...” Nakhun replied, taking another bite of food. “Though, I'm going to have to treat Noona to a meal after she made this for us. Taste it! It's delicious!” He then scooped up a bit of the meat and noodles with his chopsticks and held it out to the leader.

   Obliging, and taking the food, Yoon nodded and chuckled, “Yeah, you will. But she did this as a favor to me, so I guess I'm the one that owes her.”

   “Speaking of which, why did she do this for you? I thought...don't you like her? I mean, you two have been really close lately. I just kind of thought...you know...” Nakhun stuttered for a moment, avoiding eye contact and choosing to stuff his face instead. His cheeks were already painted a soft shade of pink by that point, so he was thankful for the darkness in the room.

   “You thought I was dating Snow Noona?” Yoon exclaimed in surprise, then started laughing heartily. “You thought...me and...No! No, she's a nice girl, but she's got her eye on someone else. Besides, if I liked her, then don't you think it'd be her sitting here instead of you?” He grinned when he saw the glimmer of shock in the boy's eyes.

   “You...like...”

   “Yes. I can't explain why...it happened kind of suddenly.” Yoon sighed and raked his fingers through his hair, pushing it from his eyes. This was the moment he'd been both anticipating, and dreading for a while now. “I just want to know if you feel the same?”

   Nakhun sat quietly for a long time, staring at the wall as the movie played, though his mind was far away. Just when Yoon started regretting his confession, and the whole situation, Nakhun turned back toward him and slipped his hand into Yoon's. Their fingers intertwined, and the pair looked at each other. Nodding, the boy with the golden locks, leaned over and tentatively pressed his lips to the other's cheek.

   Yoon's arm draped around the boy's shoulders and pulled him in closer, enjoying the way he fit against his side so comfortably. “Can I take that as a good sign then?”

   Nakhun's cheeks and ears were bright red as he nodded, speaking quietly, “As corny as this will sound, I've been wondering if I ever stood a chance...”

   “More than you know.” Yoon answered, leaning down to rest his head against the other's, breathing a heavy sigh of relief.

   “But what about...?” Nakhun said suddenly, lifting his head to look at him.

   “They know. I told them already. Everyone is supportive and understands.” Yoon smirked and moved a hand to gingerly rest on the back of the boy's neck. The two locked eyes for a moment before the blond pulled Nakhun in and kissed him on the mouth, as if the other boy was made of porcelain and would shatter.

   To his surprise, it was Nakhun who pulled him in, deepening the embrace, lips slowly moving against his. It tore a pleasant sigh from Yoon's throat before the two broke apart to breathe. They spent the rest of the evening, happily cuddling on the couch and watching the movie before falling asleep.

   The next morning, Snow wandered downstairs, and upon spying the couple passed out, she couldn't help but fetch her camera. Creeping up behind the couch, she leaned over it, poising the camera so as to capture their expressions. “Wakey wakey sleepyheads...” Not wanting to shock them awake, she reached out and lightly shook Yoon by the shoulder.

   When he saw Snow, his initial reaction was to jump off the couch and held a blanket over his bare chest, but the small smile was too precious. Snow thanked her lucky stars that she had thought to grab her camera, as she snapped a picture of him. Just as the flash went off, she noticed Nakhun starting to stir. When his eyes opened, she took a picture of him as well, and he just looked up, not fully registering the world around him yet. “Oh, you boys are just too precious for this world.”

   “I know. Thanks again for helping last night.” Yoon said, walking over and hugging Snow around the shoulders once he donned his shirt once again. “It worked perfectly. You're the best, Noona! We owe you big time!”

   Nakhun groaned sleepily and stretched, then hid shyly beneath the blanket again. “What he said...” he mumbled, his voice still laden with sleep, which only made both Yoon and Snow 'awww' in unison.

   “Just invite me to the wedding, and we'll call it even.” Snow joked and nudged Demion's leader in the side and winked before slipping out of his grasp. “That...and you can clean up the room and clean those dishes there.” She motioned toward the dirty food containers and Yoon just nodded. “Alright. Get dressed, you two. We need to get you back to the dorm before your Manager starts thinking you've been kidnapped by sasaengs or something.”