The Fairytale: Just Another Love Story

The Fairytale: Just Another Love Story

 

Once upon time, there was boy named Eli and a girl named Yunhee. 

 

The moment Eli met eyes with Yunhee, he knew they wouldn't get along. Big eyes, bright smile, free spirited: it was just simply too overwhelming for a guy like him. He liked his things plain. From his coffee to his girls, and Yunhee was simply far from plain. "How's it going it, Eli?" she would always say whenever she peeked her small face into the frame of his door. "Go away Yunhee" but yet again,  Yunhee would always ignore him. She would always jump on his bed, peek through his books and occasionally, if she's lucky, go through his underwear closet if he isn't watching. 

 

For years, Eli wondered why he was still cooped up in that apartment of his, wait, scratch that, their apartment. You see, the rent was cheap and it was the closest thing to his university so being the college student he is, he moved in when seeing the ad on the newspaper for a spare room. Little did he know that he was going to share the same apartment with a girl! He had enough money to move out but in the wee-corners of his brain, his brain waves were signalling out to him to stay. It's not because he likes her, which is far from the truth, but because she occasionally provides him free food and washes his clothes whenever she has the time. It's like he has his own personal maid! 

 

Behavioural wise, they were the opposite, however, occupation wise, they were similar. He was studying to be a doctor, and so was she. Which made Eli wonder, how could a girl like her have a brain fit to be a doctor? 

 

But on a brights summers day, Eli's whole mindset changed. "You know what Eli?" Yunhee muttered while pouring Eli a cup of orange juice for breakfast. "What?" he promptly replied before taking a bite of his buttered toast. "I think it's about time you should move out" she cooly replied, before sitting on the kitchen stool across from him. Eli placed his buttered toast back on his plate as he tried to register all the words that came out of her. Was she just telling him to move out? 

 

"I mean it's not that I don't like you or anything. It's just-" Eli watched as she tried to find the right words to let out, but nothing came out. Which made him wonder, what was she up to? "It's just what?" he mumbled, trying to keep calm. 

"I like you and you're distracting me with everything I do!" she screeched all in one breath, making Eli nearly drop his cup of orange juice. Did she just confess to him? Eli bit the bottom of his lip, unaware of what to do. He always had that strange feeling that Yunhee had a thing for him right from the start but it never really occurred to him that she would actually confess to him. Everything was all mumbled up. Eli liked his things plain- girls especially. Yunhee wasn't one of them and sadly, Eli had to admit that she was quite a looker- beautiful even. That's why he found her anything, because she was the opposite of what he ever wanted. 

 

"Eli" she suddenly mumbled, making him look up at her doey brown eyes. "What is it" he uttered, or more like whispered. "I'm only kidding with you!" and with that, Yunhee exploded into a bomb of laughter, her hands clenched onto her flat stomach as the sounds of laughter filled the apartment. All Eli could do was just stand there and watch Yunhee laugh. And that was the day his whole mindset changed on her. He had discovered something, he never knew he had in him, which irritated him because he couldn't help it. 

 

 

----------------------

 

Two years had passed after that incident, and the two had finally graduated from their universities obtaining a medical degree. Eli worked at a hospital and so did Yunhee. She worked as a paediatrician, while he worked as a neurologists.  For two years Eli wondered why he worked at the same hospital with Yunhee and though they worked at different wards, it felt as if they were just centimetres apart. 

 

"How's it going it, Eli?" Yunhee smiled as she stepped into his ward, her white coat perfectly fitting her body. Eli sighed as he approached her, his stethoscope hanging around his neck. "Want to head out for lunch?" she suggested as Eli rolled his his eyes. "Whatever, let's go" he lazily replied, loosely wrapping his arm over her shoulder. It was true that Yunhee was still like same girl as she was two years ago, but this time, she had a ring around her finger. 

 

Two years ago Eli had had finally discovered that he was in love with Yunhee and within that two year span, he had come to realise that he wanted to marry her. And so they did. 

 

 

The End