In Daesung's Smile

Headache

When Bom left her seat in the break of WIN, everyone assumed she’d gone to the toilet or something.  However that’s NOT where she went.  She actually left for a completely different reason…

Filing into her seat with the rest f 2NE1, Bom sank into the couch then fixed her attention on the white jacket of Daesung as he stood with Ina.  When 2NE1 arrived at the stadium where WIN was being filmed, she had met Daesung briefly.  He had been standing, one hand rubbing over his forehead, frowning slightly as though in pain.  When Bom asked him what was wrong he had jumped and by the time they had laughed it off, exchanged pleasantries and discussed both teams, it had been time for Daesung to go and meet the teams.  He had strode off with his usual easy cheerfulness and Bom had pushed away her first twinge of concern.  But now, sitting down with nothing else to fill her mind with, Bom watched him and wondered if he was alright.  She hadn’t really spoken to Daesung in several weeks.  Both BigBang and 2NE1 were busy and the rather curious friendship she held with Daesung had stretched until Bom had felt surprisingly shy at seeing him tonight.

In fact Daesung was not alright.  That morning he had woken up with a stiff neck from sleeping wrong and it hadn’t gotten better through the day.  When Bom had surprised him outside, Daesung had been trying to massage away the beginnings of what promised to be a serious headache.  He didn’t want a headache.  Not for the Finale of WIN.  He wanted to be cheerful and relaxed so he could encourage the boys whose future would be decided that night.  Daesung didn’t believe that YG would actually disband whichever team lost but he wanted to make the night as good as possible anyway.

As Bom watched him and Ina introduce each song, ask a random interview questions to a few of the boys and then other members of YG Family, she began to notice his face growing almost imperceptibly tenser and a couple of times his hand went up to push through his hair.  Maybe it was just her imagination.  Bom enjoyed the first song then watched Ina and Daesung step out onto the stage again.  Ina looked worried and Daesung’s smile had tightened.  Bom shifted in her chair slightly and let worry crinkle her face into a pout.  During the next song, Bom’s eyes hunted through the gloom at the bottom of the stage to where Daesung was standing.  In the shadows where he was hidden from the eyes of the audience, Daesung’s shoulders were hunched, palms of both hands pressed against his forehead as he breathed slow and heavy.  The pain was beginning to pound through his head, emphasising his heart beat and jabbing down into his shoulders and chest.  Lifting his face he let his head drop back and took a breath before wincing in pain and once more bringing his hands up to his face.  Bom felt helpless empathy sweep her.  Bom had only once in her life had a serious migraine and it had put her to bed for a day with extreme dizziness and vomiting.  She knew Daesung got migraines every now and then.  He hadn’t had a bad one for a couple of years though.  Tonight would have to be the night he got a really bad one, thought Bom ironically and wished she could make it better somehow. 

Next break in songs Daesung conducted with his eyes almost permanently shut.  Nausea was beginning to wash through him on the wings of his migraine.  His vision was hazing over with red and black starred blackness and he almost fell down the steps into merciful darkness beneath the stage.  Desperately trying not to look as though he would like nothing better than curling up and crying himself to sleep, Daesung smiled quickly at Ina and turned away to knead the muscles in his neck.  It didn’t help.  Striding quickly through the door that led backstage, Daesung felt the vibrations of Team B’s dance routine beat into his head and gasped as tiny explosions of pain filled him.  New, pain-fuelled nausea swept him.  Daesung stumbled into the toilet and falling onto his knees before the bowl, emptied his stomach.  The sheer effort of vomiting sent biting agony up his neck into the back of his head and Daesung finally leaned back against the wall, groaning in weak protest at such pain. 

Resting her elbows on her knees Bom rhythmically twiddled her thumbs and silently willed Daesung to come back.  Team B were almost finished and while Bom was half distracted by the younger boys, her concern for Daesung was much greater.  Just before they finished she suddenly noticed him standing beside Ina once more and the knot of disquiet in her stomach eased slightly.  She could still see the discomfort radiating from his form and her desperate longing to give him sympathy was physically hurting her.

It had taken Daesung a huge effort to force himself off the toilet floor and back to the stage.  Twice he had almost fallen over with dizziness, he still felt sick enough to throw up and he was having difficulty breathing.  Swallowing hard he had managed to stand up straight before stepping through the door and back to Ina’s side.  She glanced at him and asked again if he was alright.  As he smiled and said yes shortly, Daesung felt like his face had become a stiff mask of stupefying burning.

As soon as the break was announced Bom bounced to her feet.  Dara looked up in surprise and Bom told her hastily she would be back in a minute.  Darting downstairs and through a backstage door Bom began searching for Daesung.  When she found him however, she froze unsure whether her presence would be wanted or not.  Daesung was squatting next to a wall, one hand pressed against his forehead while the other stretched above his head, fingers white against the concrete wall.  His teeth were grit and his breath came harsh and unevenly through them.

“Daesung-ah…”  Instantly he straightened, just long enough for Bom to feel shock at the moisture on his face then he gasped as pain at his sudden movement grabbed him and Daesung sank onto his knees again. An exclamation of sharp frustrated agony leaving his lips as dizzying blackness swamped him. In another moment Bom was on her knees beside him, completely forgetting the questionable status of their friendship.  Finally Daesung lifted his face again momentarily and Bom watched pain wring two more tears from his eyes.  Impulsively Bom reached out to put one hand on his shoulder.  Without warning Daesung gave a low sob and crumpled against her, reaching out to capture both her hands and press them against his face.  He was groaning, half sobbing from sheer agony as he writhed slowly on the floor and Bom dragged her hands out from under his so she could wrap them around his neck and massage the muscles she could feel knotting beneath her fingers.  For several minutes there was silence broken only by the sounds of pain dragged from Daesung then he gradually grew quieter as Bom slowly broke down the tension in Daesung’s muscles. She let one hand slip down onto Daesung’s shoulder and he once again reached up to grasp it and place it against his face.  While she continued to knead his neck with one hand, Daesung rubbed his cheek against her other hand while he heaved free breaths of relief and finally purred in satisfaction as gradually the last flickers of pain cooled and died.  Daesung lifted one hand and placed it against Bom’s face. “Gamsahabnida jagiya.”  He whispered sleepily and Bom felt as though time and lace had become non-existent.  She didn’t understand where she stood with Daesung.  She knew where she wanted to stand but she didn’t know where she actually stood. 

Getting to his feet slowly, Daesung drew air into his lungs before turning to Bom and shocking her senseless for the second time that night, put his arms around her and let almost his full weight rest on her as he hugged her.  Bom felt his heartbeat, felt him one again murmur his thanks to her then felt the spontaneous rumble of grateful pleasure that left Daesung’s chest as he began to think without debilitating pain crushing him. 

“I have to get back.” He mumbled into her neck, without moving.  Bom let her hand slide away from him and Daesung straightened reluctantly.  Still slightly dizzy, He swayed and Bom instantly grabbed his arm.  Daesung laughed at himself, then turned to acknowledge the hand on his arm.  Bom dropped her arm instantly but Daesung was already wrapping his arms around her again. Needing to be closer to her, he let one arm drop to her lower back and lay the other across her shoulders so he could pull her as close to him as he possibly could. Finally he stepped back, saw the look in her eyes and gently fitting his hands around her face, bent and kissed Bom lightly on the nose.  Then he turned and walked carefully away; back to the stage and his forgotten MC job.  Bom took a minute or two to calm herself down then followed suit, tiptoeing back to her seat only slightly late.  As he finished introducing the last song Daesung looked up at her.  They exchanged smiles and in that moment Bom’s heart blossomed into the beautiful flaming love she hadn’t dared show yet.  In Daesung’ smile she saw a promise and returning love so strong it dragged the breath from Bom and filled her such heart deep gladness that Bom found tears on her cheeks.  Dara handed her the tissues and smiled happily as she hugged her park sister.

 

Greetings all DaeBom lovers!!  I haven't actually written a DaeBom one shot yet (which I am appallingly embarrassed about) although I am encorperating them into my other story.  Anyway, I watched the WIN final (did anybody else feel like their heart was getting wrenched out?) and like tons of other twitter users I wondered where Bom went in the break.  SO I decided to bite the bullet and write a DaeBom fic cause I love them and they would be so adorable and cute and good and wonderful together :)  Let me know what you think and I sincerely apologise for all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors taht are sure to abound. this isn't edited to my satisfaction AT ALL >_<