Beautiful Night (Cross the Sky With Me)

Beautiful Night (Cross the Sky With Me)

It’s a clear night and the weather is rather chilly. The full moon is up and they’re all exhausted after a day of performances and interviews and big smiles scattered all over.

The door to their dorm is opened and they all pour in tiredly. Dongwoon runs for the shower before Doojoon plays the leader card, like he always does; Yoseob, after an entire day of whines about being hungry but not having enough time to eat, raids the kitchen for something edible; Kikwang heads to his room to remove his makeup; Hyunseung mumbles something about reading in his bed; and Junhyung drapes himself all over the couch and turns on the TV, hoping to catch a cheesy drama so he and Yoseob can make sarcastic comments about the lame plot.

As expected, a ruckus awakens when Dongwoon steps out of the shower and finds out that Doojoon stole his towel as a revenge for taking the leaders’ precious relaxation time. Kikwang steps out of his room with his bare face now on display, and he joins Junhyung and Yoseob in their drama-insulting marathon. They’re having a good time for about ten minutes, until—

The TV shuts down with a pluck, and all of a sudden the entire apartment is dark. On Junhyung’s right, Kikwang jumps about ten feet into the air, letting out a small squeak. And then it’s quiet for a few seconds.

"What the hell," Dongwoon’s voice emerges from somewhere between the kitchen and the living room. "What happened to the lights?"

“It’s a blackout, you moron,” Yoseob snorts, and Junhyung can hear the singer rolling his eyes.

“It’s not just us, too,” Doojoon reports- when the hell did he enter the living room?- “the buildings next to ours are all dark. And the streetlights are off, look.”

Someone (probably Kikwang) shuffles towards the big windows next to the sofa. A bright light appears suddenly, and Junhyung blinks. Yoseob the flashlight app in his phone, and it’s surprisingly efficient. Junhyung wonders why he didn’t think about it himself as he scans the room and realizes-

"Where’s Hyunseung?" He asks, suddenly very concerned. "He said that he’s going to read in his room, right?"

"Come on," Yoseob gestures for Junhyung to follow him and they both head towards the vocalists’ room. It’s surprisingly hard to advance in the apartment he thought he knew so well; while getting up from the sofa, Junhyung almost ran into the coffee table twice, hitting his knee on the harsh corner of the TV table.

The door to Hyunseung’s room is open, and when they peek inside they see the boy sitting on his bed and reading with his own flashlight app, his large reading glasses reflecting the words on the pages below him. The sight is so strange and yet so… Hyunseung-like, and Junhyung feels like laughing for about a year. He doesn’t, though; he clears his throat to let the boy know that they’re watching him, and the vocalists’ head snaps up in a minute, a blank expression on his face.

“There’s a blackout,” he states flatly. Yoseob face palms.

Junhyung thinks he’s funny, so he smiles and nods. “Yes, there is,” he approves.

"What do we do," the boy says in the same flat tone, and Yoseob throws his hands in the air.

"I’m gonna go back to the living room," he announces as he walks away and leaves Junhyung in relative darkness. The rapper feels quite uncomfortable standing in the dark, so he enters Hyunseung’s room and sits on his bed, right next to him.

"Hey," he says softly, studying the reading boys’ face fondly.

"Hey, Jun," is the reply he gets, and he smiles. He always liked Hyunseung; and by "liked" he means "loved". He didn’t know why exactly, but everything the boy did was unique and unusual and it made Junhyung smile. "Unique"; that’s exactly the word that fits Jang Hyunseung.

"Stop staring at me," Hyunseung says suddenly, and Junhyung blinks and realizes that he was, indeed, staring at him. Embarrassed, he apologizes hurriedly, and Hyunseung smiles. "You always stare at me," he notes softly, and Junhyung almost bites his tongue off.

"I— what—"

“You think I didn’t notice?” Hyunseung snorts and Junhyung feels like dying right then and there. He just sits there with his mouth hanging open and a dumb expression smeared all over his face, unable to say anything. 
“It’s pretty flattering, I have to admit,” the other boy continues lightly. “But I often find myself wondering why.”

The rapper is still unable to say anything, and he’s starting to feel like a real idiot. What he fails to see because of the darkness is the faint pink starting to bloom on Hyunseung’s cheeks and the already knowing smile gracing his lips. Junhyung looks down and drags a hand down his face in pure embarrassment. There’s a painfully thick silence until Junhyung stupidly says something he wishes he hadn’t. “I- I may or may not like you.”

And now the silence is even thicker, falling down on them like a chunk of metal. Junhyung wails in desperation inside his head. Hyunseung- much to Junhyung’s surprise- just throws his head back and laughs.

"What? What is it?" The rapper demands to know, more than a little offended. Hyunseung keeps laughing for about five billion more years before wiping at his eyes and calming down gradually. Junhyung pouts through the whole process, fighting the strong urge to just punch the other. He’s about to lose a battle against himself when Hyunseung pushes him down the bed’s headboard until he’s lying on his back, shell shocked and confused. 
“What are you-” he’s starting to say, when the vocalist leans down and hovers his lips above Junhyung’s.
It’s dark, but he can still see the glimmer in Hyunseung’s eyes and feel his breath fan over him. He swallows nervously, and the sound is creepily loud in the quiet room. Hyunseung’s straddling him now, his slim legs capturing Junhyungs’ thighs so he can’t move. The rapper can feel his heart pounding against his ribcage.

And then Hyunseung completes his dive downwards and their lips meet, and it’s like the big bang all over again. Junhyun’s thrown into some sort of haze as he feels his hands wrap around Hyunseung’s neck, pulling him down for more. The vocalist obeys and presses his body against Junhyungs’, letting out a small sigh that sends shivers down the rappers’ spine. The kiss turns into a passionate lip lock and oh my god, is that tongue?

Before Junhyung can even comprehend what they’re doing there’s a small electronic sound and the lights are on again. They spring apart, their chests rising and falling rapidly. There’s a loud triumphant cry from the living room as the TV starts to work again, too.

And Hyunseung’s smiling. Junhyung tries to smile back, but a huge yawn escapes him instead. He’s tired all of a sudden, so damn tired.

Hyunseung chuckles. “Let’s go to sleep, you big big baby,” he suggests, and Junhyung has to admit that the idea appeals to him, so he lies back down and Hyunseung turns off the light and closes the door before joining him.

"So what does this make us?" Junhyung wonders out loud as the vocalist rests his head on his chest and throws an arm around him. "Boyfriends? Friends with benefits? Two idiots?"

Hyunseung laughs. “‘Boyfriends’ has a nice ring to it,” he agrees. Junhyung nods and closes his eyes, a weird satisfied feeling blooming in his chest.

He wakes up the next morning to a loud cough and an excited chuckle. He opens his eyes slowly, and is immediately welcomed with the sight of Doojoon and Kikwang standing next to the bed with their arms crossed and their brows raised high. He looks down to see Hyunseung draped all over him, his head on his chest and a leg thrown over his waist. A sudden rush of memories from last night makes him blush furiously, and he sits up as quick as possible. The movement makes Hyunseung wake up, rubbing his eyes sleepily. “What is it, Jun?” He asks drowsily. Kikwang almost chokes while trying to make his laughter stop.

"It’s a funny story, actually," he starts awkwardly, and Hyunseung understands what’s going on and starts to laugh. Junhyung smiles.

Yeah, he can get used to this.