The Sound of a Broken Heart

You're My XOXO

A/N: Hello my bubblies! I love you all and really appreciate the support, please tell me how you like the oneshots so far and which ship you would like to see next! <3

 


Baekyeol in the POV of Baekhyun.

The rain fell steadily, a constant drumming sound against the windows. The sky was dark with clouds and angel's tears.

The sky was crying too.

I looked out at the dark gloomy haze. Chanyeol sat next to my bed, twiddling his fingers uncomfortably in his lap. I usually despised the rain, but the only thing I wanted to do now was to rush out and leave this stark white hospital with its stark white disinfectant smell, flee from the beeping monitors and the shots and the medicines, sprint into the downpour with Chanyeol and shout up at the sky, catching raindrops on my tongue. I wanted to be free.

But no. The IVs and the excruciating pain of the disease working through my body chained me down. This hospital was a prison, and I was a prisoner trapped until my death.

"Baekhyun, I..." Chanyeol began. He was choking up, silent salty rivers streaming down his face. His face, the beautiful face I'd come to know and love, was scrunched up in so much pain and sorrow I could hardly bear to keep my eyes on it.

On him. I wanted so badly to hold him close to me, to embrace him and feel his warmth and apologize for everything. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

For what, he'd ask.

For everything, I'd say.

For all the fights we'd had in our relationship. For me, stupid moronic me, actually being embarrassed to be seen with him because of his height, his crazy reactions, and his nervous twitching. I couldn't believe I cared about those things, traits that I've now learned to love the most. And just when I fell for him, karma gave me a good kick up my and sent me to my deathbed.

I would want to say all of this to him. I would want to hold him and cry shamelessly with him. I couldn't. I was too weak to even wrap my arms around him, as if the tubes sticking into my body didn't interfere enough.

"Remember," I croaked. It hurt so much to talk, so ing much...it felt like my throat was cutting itself to pieces with each syllable I uttered. But I had to. I owed this to him, my Park Chanyeol.

"Yes...Hyunnie?" My dear Chanyeol managed to choke out. He was sobbing now, and I wanted to sob with him, but I couldn't find the tears. I inched my pale, dead-looking hand near his, and he grasped it and squeezed tightly. It hurt—everything hurt now—but I could endure this pain. Especially when it was my one true love, anchoring me and holding me to this world, where I still wanted to be.

"Remember...Lotte World," I managed.

He smiled sadly, through the wet streaks of running tears that looked like cracks in a beautiful porcelain face. "We rode on the Ferris wheel together. Yeah, of course I remember. You said...you said you loved me that day. And then the Ferris wheel got stuck just as we were at the top. It was an amazing sunset, Hyunnie."

I tried to smile, feeling the skin stretch across my thin face. "Hint: Kai had bribed the guy at the controls."

Chanyeol's eyes widened, and his mouth dropped a little. I wanted to laugh at his adorable expression, but my throat wheezed in protest. "...For us?"

"For you, silly. I wanted that night to be...special." My smile was hurting my cheeks, so I dropped it. "And the day with the guys at the bubble tea cafe near the beach..."

"Luhan hyung and Sehun!" he chirped, smiling again. Oh that sweet, sweet smile I could never stop staring at. "Our first kiss...Baek, why are you reminding me all this?"

"Because..." I stopped, coughing loudly, feeling my body collapse a little more in on itself. He looked so concerned, my Channie. I couldn't help but think just how lucky I was to have someone like him with me. "Because I want you to be...happy. I want you to know there is more times to be spent...more days to be enjoyed like that...out there. When I'm...gone."

Chanyeol's expression turned from confusion to shock to desperate terror. He leaned forward in his small metal chair, the legs of it scraping loudly against the floor as he clutched at my  sheets. He suddenly rose to stand up, the agony evident on his face. "No Baekhyun...you don't know what you're talking about. this, Baek...no...you are not going to die. No Baekhyun, NO NO NO NO NO! BYUN BAEKHYUN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT NO NO NO BAEKHYUN...this isn't right, you'll be better...no Baek...no..." Channie sank back down in his chair, slumping his head on the edge of my bed and sobbing loudly, his hand still holding on tightly to mine.

"Yeol..." I stuttered. God this hurt like hell.

"Byun Baekhyun, no. You can't leave me." He raised his head. His hair was a wild tangled mess and his eyes puffy and red, his face and shirt shiny with tears, his expression of the most heartbreaking sorrow.

And yet, he still had the same beauty as the boy I'd fallen in love with, just months ago.

"I don't want to, Yeol. You're...the best thing that ever happened to me." I found myself exhausted with speaking that one sentence. I stopped to catch my breath, holding on to Chanyeol's hand like it was my only lifeline.

"Chanyeol...you taught me love. How to appreciate beauty in the darkest places. How to recognize the good in all sorts of people. I've learned now, to be a better person. I truly have. There are so many less fortunate than me. Fate has granted me much."

"WHAT THE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?" Chanyeol shouted, standing up abruptly and knocking his chair over with a noisy clang. "Your mother died in a car accident, your father disowned you for being gay, you were bullied everyday at school! Now you have ing CANCER! How can you say fate has granted you much when it has been nothing but ing cruel to you????"

I couldn't say anything for a while. I smiled at him. "But Chanyeol...I have found my true love."

He stared at me in shock. He sat back down, burying his face in his hands. "No, Baekhyun. Don't do this to me."

"Channie. You have been there for me for....well, forever. You are my best friend, the person I would want to spend my entire life with. I have never felt this way to anyone else before. I..." I wheezed for breath. Chanyeol slowly looked up at me, at the sickly pale mess I was, and my heart filled with pride and joy. I still saw the love in his eyes, the burning passion that he had only for me.

It was the best feeling in the world.

"I would give up everything for you. Park Chanyeol, I would give up my life for you. You know that."

"Don't say that!"

"I—I love you, Park Chanyeol."

He stared at me desperately, his large eyes cringing in immense grief. It stuck daggers of pain in me where physical cancer pain wasn't already present, to know that I was doing this to him. "Stop it...stop this, Baek..." His protests were weak, muffled by his arms.

"Please don't cry, Channie. Don't act like I'm already gone." I smiled, as calmly as I could. My heart was cracking into small pieces inside of me.

"Please promise me one thing."

"...Yes?"

"Never forget about me, but move on to someone else."

Chanyeol's lips drew in a tight thin line, and he shook his soft brown mane hurriedly. "I can't Baek. I can't. You know I can't."

"Give a man on his deathbed some lax."

"YOU ARE NOT DYING, BYUN BAEKHYUN!"

"Chanyeol."

He took a deep, shaky breath. I thought he would break down again, but his voice came out surprisingly smooth and controlled.

"Did you never consider my feelings toward you? Is it not obvious that this is not a one-sided love? Every day, I have run from school to this hospital, where my mother hates me coming to, to see you. I've missed you at school. I sit alone, I study alone, I walk home alone now. Remember those days along the sidewalk during the fall, and we would walk home with the red leaves falling around us, and it would be so beautiful? Remember how you would try pushing me into the leaves and one day, you collapsed on top of me.

"You promised me a forever, Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun, where is my forever?" His voice was rising into a shout, fresh tears down his face. "YOU PROMISED A FOREVER WITH ME!"

"I-I'm sorry." My heart throbbed.

"'Sorry' does not grant you and me a forever."

"It does not grant my wish that you shall forget about me just as easily as you'd come to know me, either. If only..." I ended in a coughing fit that wracked my whole body. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the pain to subside to a excruciating numb.

When I opened them again, Chanyeol's eyes were on me with horror. "I would willingly relive thousands of my worst nightmares to keep you in my memories! You will never be erased, Baek. You wanted me to never forget you."

"And find someone new."

"I will never do that, either. I could never." He stared deeply into my eyes. "Even if I tried, no one could ever fill your place in my heart. No one—no one would ever be your equal. You said you found your true love. I have too.

"It's you, Hyunnie."

I felt something wet on my cheek. A tear? He bent over, his sweet scent engulfing me, and gently kissed it away, his plush lips feather-light on my skin. He then raised his head slightly to look me in the eyes, and then bent down again to meet my pale, white lips. He tasted of salt and honey. I felt my weak, cancer-induced heart flutter.

I realized now that I loved him so much, I was infatuated with him. I had been so selfish with him, first minding only on physical appearance, and now I was being selfish by leaving him alone in this world. I wanted to promise things I just couldn't. I wanted to be the best boyfriend I could, but I ended up being this constantly depressed, lifeless creature. And yet he had been cheerful. Always so cheerful and lighthearted, never letting my crippling cancer bother our fun.

He was someone I didn't deserve. I hoped he would find the person that really deserved him.

"Baekhyun? Baek, focus! Focus on me!" Yeol's face looked alarmed, then terrified, his beautiful features contorting in desperation.

His voice was growing faint, and the everywhere pain was numbing. This is a nice change, I thought. I smiled at him again, this heavenly angel that was the only object in my blurring vision. I'd expected my heart to truly shatter, but now it felt whole. The only person I needed and could ever want was here, with me, in this moment. What more could I ask for?

My Chanyeol's face was tearing up in grief. His mouth opened wide in loud, wailing sobs that sounded far away. I wanted to let him know that I was still here, that everything was okay. I reached for his hand, but it wasn't anywhere near me. My fingers flitted uselessly on the bed, searching for it, panic seizing my chest with a surprising, fresh wave of pain. Both of his hands were on his face, his body trembling with sobs.

I tried to reach for them, weakly, but they seemed so far away, at the end of a tunnel. He was here, this was all that mattered. I rested my hand back on the bed and focused on breathing, which suddenly felt like a very hard task. I felt light as a dandelion seed, floating in the wind.

Don't cry. I'm still here. I love you. No sound would come from my cracked lips. I coughed again, a faint splutter. The lights above were too bright, so I closed my eyes. My vision was blackening entirely.

The last thing I saw was my beloved Chanyeol.

My dear, beloved Park Chanyeol.

 

My thoughts were suddenly scrambled, my life flashed before me like in the movies. So this was how it was to die, I thought vaguely. Chanyeol would've loved to know, he was always interested in this kind of stuff. I wish I could tell him.

I could only hear now, everything else was a dark void. Even the stark white disinfectant smell that I hated so much was gone.

I heard sobbing. A painful scream of anguish and grief. And then a pause.

"Byun B-Baekhyun," a sweet, familiar, choked voice said. "You told me not to cry  because you weren't gone yet. And—" he sniffled loudly. "I won't. I won't cry because you deserve your wishes.

"But I just want you to know. I will love you for eternity. And that is a fact. I will never fall for anyone else.

"I love you, Byun Baekhyun. Only you."

I could not see anything. Chanyeol's voice had been the sweet melody that was the last words I heard. And he had said things that would always be with me. I smiled.

I love you, Park Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol's POV

Beeeeeeeeeeeee-

The monitor went dead.

I couldn't feel anything. I was numb.

I stood up, robotically, to leave, not feeling, not thinking. My tears had already been spent, but some vague working part of my mind decided this feeling was much worse than simple anguish.

You promised me a forever, Byun Baekhyun. But now you are no longer. Why can't I grieve when he has finally permitted me to?

Even the sky had tears to cry.

I suddenly thought back to one of our dates, when we were at a concert. Baek had scolded me before it had started for entering the hall so noisily.

I want people to know that I'm present, I had said proudly, like a selfish idiot.

Silence is a very loud presence, you know, he had explained irritably back. It projects itself across rooms like no sound ever could. Silence is the sound of contentment and superiority.

I stared down at him. Once so animated. Just a body, now. His white bony hand, but still with beautiful smooth skin, had been outstretched, as if reaching for something. And then I realized.

In his last moments he had been reaching for me, for my hand.

But I hadn't noticed.

Silence is the sound of contentment and superiority.

As dull, numbing silence filled the room, I learned. Byun Baekhyun was wrong.

Silence wasn't the sound of contentment or superiority.

It was the sound of a broken heart.