The 8th Anniversary

Leader's Thoughts

Leeteuk's POV

Time really flies... it's already been one year since I enlisted, and just like that... another year of Super Junior. Sighs. I really want to join them in their celebration, but I guess I can't. I have to wait for next year though.

I know how they've been doing. I had my vacation last week, and it is sad that I am not able to make my vacation longer until this day. I have a lot of regrets because I was not able to tell them things that I really, really wanted to say when I was in vacation, since they had individual schedules. Ah... busy members. Anyway, what I was not able to tell them was... I am very proud of them.

Heechul... ah, this member who is just nine days younger than me. I may be older, but sometimes, I feel like he's the oldest one, because he has principles in life that he never breaks. He may be labeled as weird and stupid and all that, but I am really pleased that he stands up for what he believes in. No, he is not as strong as Kangin physically or emotionally. He knows that he also cries secretly. I know that because I know him well. But he is not certainly weak. I believe that he isn't, and I am proud of who he is.

Yesung... Kim Jongwoon who is serving the army right now. I see his selcas in Twitter. I will admit, he is much handsomer than me. And not to mention, his voice is just amazing. I want to... I want to have a voice like him, but too bad, I was not born as Yesung. I have heard his OST's, all of them. I am a fan of his works, a fan of his hardwork and patience. I sometimes cannot stand his weirdness, but that is what makes him special, and I am proud of him.

Kangin. Oh, Youngwoon, Youngwoon, Youngwoon... He has been stronger lately. I've heard his concerns about him being an outcast because of what he did in the past. I will admit, I was hurt. But I told him - it is all in the past. He has to be forgiven. And I know that he has learned his lesson now. And as I see him, he is slowly going back to where he belongs... to us, to s, to his family - Super Junior. With that, I must say, that I am proud of his determination to bounce back.

No one must forget Shindong. Yes, the person who likes to eat as much as I don't want to eat. Donghee, who has been so insecure with other members because of his weight and his appearance. But with his will to be healthier, he sacrificed a lot, including the things that he loved to do. As an artist and DJ, he is also doing well. Shimshimtapa has been doing well for too long, and if I have time, I try to listen to it. His voice is still the same and his humor is still there, but what changes is that he has become more mature. I salute him for that. I am proud of that.

Our cutest middle child, Sungmin. Born in a new year. Seeing him reminds me of myself thirteen or fourteen years ago, I lost count, when I was still a trainee. He works hard to prove himself - that is may not be as great as others, but he can also be good. The determination and hardwork of this child is never ending. He thinks that he is only in the middle of everything, and sometimes below the middle, but he is more than that. He is born in a new year - meaning, new beginning. Sungmin is like a new beginning. He keeps on trying, and this makes me proud of him.

Lee Hyukjae, our Eunhyuk. He has been my student. And he said that I was his teacher. He is afraid to do something without me by his side. He thinks that if I am not with him, he would fail. But he is doing a really good job in keeping the position I left. He is doing great that I feel he's going to surpass me. But no, it's not that I am jealous nor intimidated. I just feel like Eunhyuk is one of a kind, and he does know that he pushes me up more than I push himself up. I am inspired everyday because there is a person who believes in me. This dancer and rapper... as I said, one of a kind. I look forward to work with him again because I am proud of him.

Donghae... is kind of like a son to me. I felt burdened because his father entrusted him to me. I was scared at first because I didn't think I would do well like what his father did... how he raised his child with great passion and good attitude. But as I can see, he is doing well, that he does not even need my help anymore. He excels in his own way and is successful in everything that he does. As a singer, as a dancer, as an actor - all of those things - he can do great. However, as a promise, I will still protect him because I am proud that he's my pretend son.

Who cannot love my God-fearing Siwon? The person who does something different everyday. He is more than just a pretty face. He makes sure that everything that he does will really benefit him and the group. He is the most busy in terms of schedule, but he is also one of the members who really spend time sending letters to me, asking me if I am doing well. I am really touched because he acts like my brother. I am really touched because he encourages me and supports me. I see his passion in doing things for me and for the group, and this is why I am proud to be someone he looks up to.

Kim Ryeowook, our ever shy eternal magnae who has grown from baby to a man. He tries very hard to be known and popular, but I don't think he needs to be like that in order to be loved. He has that natural thing to make others love him. I am really grateful that he has been filling the spot that I left in Super Junior Kiss the Radio, and I must say, he is doing well as a DJ. That spot makes him shine as a Super Junior member. He represents the whole group to the radio listeners, so I am really saluting him and being proud of him.

Kyuhyun... yes, Kyu. The person I hated when he first joined the group. I will admit, I was too insecure of him because he had not been trained for too long yet he was doing far better than I was. But looking at him makes me try to do better. Seeing him fight when he was in danger woke me up from insecurity, telling him that I must fight like him too. This magnae is a special one because he is getting well known in his own way. He is really positive about things and he reminds me of someone I look up to. No matter what age, I can't help it but to be proud of him.

Our two boys who have been through a lot of trials, Zhoumi and Henry. Although they faced a lot of negative things, they are still staying as our family. I am forever thankful of them because I learned to be a better person. I learned to face all the challenges that life is giving me. I learned to be more hardworking and patience to grow as a person. I learned to become versatile in everything. As a leader, I am proud that I have these two.

Last, but definitely not the least...

The two members...

Ah... I don't want to cry, but how to put this...

Kim Kibum... the one of many Kim Kibum's in the industry... I know what his dream was, and I was selfish back then to think something bad against him and his full hiatus. I was disappointed, I was depressed, but as time goes by, I finally understand. We met before... in the hallway during SM Town's photoshoot, and he talked to me. He apologized... but then as I saw him doing so, I could not help but to feel hurt because he's so sincere. I got to realize and to ask myself if we were becoming too harsh for restricting him in following his dreams. He must not worry though because whatever he is doing, he is still one of the persons I cherish and I am proud of.

Hankyung... Han Geng is real name. I have so many regrets because I feel that I failed as a leader towards him. To be honest, he's been one of my favorite members, because I saw how climbed to reach where he is going right now. I was upset about everything false or negetive that he said. But then, maybe, I just failed to talk to him and to ask him about things... Maybe, there were underlying truths in those statements I didn't want to recognize. Maybe, I was not able to sense that he was going through. And that somehow, leaving us is a good thing for him to reach his dreams and to help his parents. I don't want to close the possibility though that one day he'll come back... even not as an artist nor a member... but just a friend, because we miss him so much. We really do, and I am proud of what he is right now.

I may not be with them in their journey right now... for this anniversary, but I am looking forward to watch here as they grow like my own children. I miss performing with them. I miss having good times with them. But I need to wait a little longer and I know it will pay off someday...

I want to run with them forever... even if Super Junior reaches 10 years... 25 years... 50 years... infinity years.

Sigh. You, men who I treated, treat and will treat more than label mates. More than members. More than friends. More than brothers. My second family... I just wish you a happy anniversary. I love you...