SHINee/Onew - Never make a bet with Choi Minho

K-pop explained: Behind The Scenes
Please log in to read the full chapter
THE MYSTERY

Onew's styling for the teaser image, stage styling for Symptoms + Onew's neck injury.

 

THE EVIDENCE

 

                                                                    

 

                                                       

 

 

THE EXPLANATION

 

 

 

Onew had no idea how it happened exactly. Everything had been fine and dandy the day before, and suddenly everything was wrong. Very, very wrong. And fluffy. He reached up to touch the furry hat currently balanced atop his head, making the long scarf perched on his shoulder slide down a little further.

 

Onew cursed himself for the 24th time that day. Never make a bet with Minho; the rest of the band knew this and yet Onew had fallen for it again. Which is why everything was now wrong. And fluffy.

 

 

 

 

One day earlier

 

“Spin!  Faster! Think as the propeller! Be the propeller!” Minho’s powerful voice was clearly distinguishable over the loud beats of ‘Everybody’. Onew gritted his teeth as he tried throwing his arms forwards even faster. The move looked pretty awesome with all 5 of them together, but Onew definitely felt he had drawn the short end of the stick with the propeller move. It was deceivingly hard to pull off and wasn’t elegant from any angle.

 

Onew had been put off by the childish choreography at first, even briefly considered actually voicing his doubts, but he had to admit that they had made it work, somehow. Or rather, Taemin (and to a lesser extent, his other band mates) did. Onew felt like he was being worked by the choreography.  Still, it fit the lyrics and the concept and although he’d never been more apprehensive about singing live, he was happy with the final result. It wasn’t his favorite comeback, but Onew thought it was neat and showed off their skills just fine.

 

“Okay Onew, take five. Well done” At least the choreographer seemed pleased with his work.

 

He walked over to the side, sweat rolling down his temples and his shirt sticking uncomfortably against his back. He rummaged through his bag, took out his water bottle and sat down next to Minho, who was watching him with a devious smirk.

 

“Are you really going as fast you can?” Minho asked as he leaned back, stretching out his long limbs.

Onew, still slightly out of breath, took a sip of water before turning to his friend, “Of course I am. It looks fine as it is, doesn’t it?”

Minho smirked, folding his hands behind his head, “I can do it faster.”

 

Onew didn’t bother hiding the irritation in his voice. “Sure you could. Why don’t you take my spot then.”

 

“I would, but they need my face at the front. You know, it’s a real burden being the visual of the band.” 

 

“Your vanity doesn’t look good on you,” Onew retorted.

 

“Everything looks good on me. And I can still swing my arms faster than you.”

 

Onew scoffed and pulled a towel out of his bag, wiping his face with it. “You’re all talk Minho. I’ve never seen you try it.”

 

Minho leaned forward, holding out his hand to Onew and dropping his voice, as if he was going to tell him a secret “Wanna bet, propeller boy?”

 

Onew knew he wasn’t the best dancer in SHINee by far, but he’d pr

Please log in to read the full chapter