Number

Love At First Sight

It was a cold, winter day. The trees and houses were covered in huge piles of snow. People walking by the streets were dressed in furry coats, knitted scarves, and boots to keep themselves warm from the strong breeze. There were five girls around the ages of 18 strolling along the path chattering amongst themselves cheerfully.

"Have you guys watched the drama called "To The Beautiful You"?" A blonde, shoulder length haired girl asked.

"I’ve watched that!" A waist length brunette clasped her hands together excitedly. "The character Tae Joon was so handsome, almost prince like!" She sighed dreamily. "Right Luna?"

The said girl nodded, agreeing with what her friend just said.

"Oh em gee, I know Victoria! I could go on and on about how handsome he looks and the way his voice sounds and ah!" She squealed happily and jumped on the spot.

A dark haired girl interrupted them. “Stop it with your fangirling, I can even barely say a word with the ultra freezing wind blowing on me!” The girl said coldly (no pun intended).

"Geez Krystal, you’re so mean", Luna pouted. "Anyways, if you watch that drama you’ll surely be fangirling with us!" Luna turned back to Victoria talking about their love for the drama.

Krystal rolled her eyes and turned to face the other two girls, Sulli and Amber. Sulli had her long brown hair tied into a side braid. Amber, who was a bit on the boyish side, had short, blonde hair.

"So, you’re cold too right?" Krystal asked rhetorically.

"No", Sulli replied, sarcasm evident in her voice. "It’s so hot out here I could eat a whole truck of ice cream", her teeth chattering as she shivered.

Krystal ignored her and continued what she was saying. “My point is, since we’re all freezing, why don’t we go to a cafe that’s just down the street?” She suggested.

Sulli and Amber thought for a moment. “Hmm, sure why not?” said Amber. “Let’s ask the others”.

"Hey, you two! Luna and Victoria!" Amber called out.

"Yeah?" They replied simultaneously, stopping their seemingly endless chattering.

"Do you want to go to a cafe? It’s too cold to be outside".

"Sure, let’s go", They agreed and the whole group started to walk in the direction of the cafe lead by Krystal who knew the way.


A couple of minutes later, they arrived at their destination.

Krystal pushed the door open and the girls were greeted by a scent of roasted coffee beans, freshly baked cake and most importantly, heat.

"I’m getting hungry", Luna sighed and her lips.

"We just ate!" exclaimed Sulli.

"But there’s always room for cake", Luna replied, earning a groan from Sulli.

'This girl just never stops eating', thought Sulli. She was envious at Luna though, for not gaining weight even when she eats a lot.

'On the other hand, I eat a bite of cake, I immediately weigh like a pig', Sulli pouted.

The rest giggled at Luna and Sulli’s conversation and scanned their eyes around the cafe to look for empty seats.

"It’s full today due to the weather outside…" Amber trailed off.

Victoria’s eyes brightened and she gasped. “Look, I found five seats for us!” She exclaimed pointing at the chairs. “Come on before someone else gets to it”.

The girls hurried in their steps and sat down.

A waiter handed them a menu each.

"Let’s see…" said Sulli as she skimmed through the menu. She stopped abruptly as her eyes caught attention of the words ‘Hot Chocolate’ written in the menu.

Once everyone has decided, they called a rather dashing waiter up and placed their orders.

"One lemon cheesecake for me", said Luna.

"A small mocha please", said Victoria.

"Can I have one americano please?" said Krystal.

"I’ll get an espresso", said Amber.

Sulli however, was dazed at the handsome waiter. It was rare for her to find someone so y, appealing and just plain hot.

'Is this what people mean by 'love at first sight'?' she asked herself.

Sulli snapped out of her thoughts when Krystal stepped lightly on her foot. “Aren’t you ordering Sulli?”

She turned back to the waiter. “Oh right, um, I’ll have a hot chocolate please”, she said awkwardly.

'Ugh now he must think I'm crazy for staring at him so long like that!' she smacked herself mentally.

Once the waiter wrote down their orders and left, Krystal spoke up.

"I saw you gazing at the guy", she said suggestively. "Ooh, our giant baby is falling in love", she sang.

"Stop it Krystal, I just thought he was hot that’s all", Sulli replied, turning slightly red.

"Aww, our Sulli is growing!" The four squealed.

"Actually, while the others were ordering, I saw him staring at you intently, I think he was even blushing slightly", Luna grinned. "He seemed interested in you".

"Think about it Sulli, you’re the only one who hasn’t had a boyfriend out of all of us", Victoria rested her head on her palm.

"What are you implying?" she questioned, slightly afraid of her friend’s answer.

Victoria grinned cheek to cheek. “Let’s make a deal, by the time we leave the cafe, you have to have gotten his number!”

Sulli was more than surprised. “Are you kidding me? I’m not doing that!” She crossed her arms.

Luna sighed, “But Sulli, that was the first time I ever saw you look at a guy”.

"She’s right", Amber interjected.

"You too, Amber?" Sulli facepalmed.

"Look, I think he’s around the same age as us", replied Amber. "That wouldn’t be a problem".

"I’ll think about it, I’m going to the toilet first", said Sulli and stood up from her seat.

'My friends are right, I haven't actually had a boyfriend before much less glance at guys', she thought.

'I'll just somehow sneak up a conversation and then ask for his number, I mean, it won't hurt to try right?'

She made a fist pump to her self, she was now determined.

Suddenly, without warning, she bumped rather hard into someone causing coffee to spill all over her shirt. The crashing of the tray earned glances from the customers.

"I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to bump into you", the person said gruffly.

Sulli looked up to see that it was none other than the guy that she and her friends were talking about. She wasn’t expecting to meet him again this soon!

Sulli felt very embarrassed. First, she had been staring for so long at him and now she even carelessly bumped into him! What must he think of her now?

The guy bent down to retrieve the fallen cup.

"That’s alright, it was my fault for not looking to where I’m going", she smiled sheepishly.

"Now I have to do table 34’s order again", he muttered to himself almost incoherently, but Sulli picked it up.

"Table 34? That’s my table", she said.

"Really? Do you want to wait for your order at the counter?" He asked with hope written clearly on his countenance.

"Sure", Sulli replied.

"Great!" He said a little too brightly, which Sulli noticed.

'Things are going great for me today', she smiled to herself. 'Well, except for the spilling part that is'.

"I’ll get you some tissues, follow me", the guy offered.

Sulli complied, ‘This is it Sulli, here’s your chance!’

"So", Sulli cleared when they arrived at the counter. "How old are you?"

"I’m 18, you?"

Sulli grinned. “I’m 18 too”.

"Really?" He had a wide smile on his face as he gave Sulli the tissues to wipe the stain. Their eyes met and neither did the job of breaking the eye contact.

"His eyes, they're so mesmerizing, I could stare at them all day".

"Her hair, it makes me want to run my fingers through her silky hair".

'Ah stop it Minho! You've only just met her!' He smacked himself mentally.

Breaking their extremely long eye contact, she inquired, “What’s your name?”

"Minho. You?"

"I’m Sulli".

"A pretty name for a pretty lady", he smiled.

Sulli turned tomato red at his compliment. “T-Thanks”.

Sulli wiped the stain off her shoes and shirt while she waited for their order.

"Which school do you go to?" Sulli asked, curious.

"SM High".

"Really?" Her expression brightened. "I go to the one a few streets away, Starlight Academy!"

Minho gave a little laugh. “It’s a small world”.

"Indeed", Sulli laughed along with him.

It turned into an awkward silence for a few minutes after that.

"You know, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel anything when I first saw you", he spoke as he continued to work on the drinks.

Sulli looked up at him in mixed emotions of surprise and at the same time, happiness.

"Same here", she mumbled, loud enough for him to hear.

"What I'm trying to say is, uh", he coughed. "If you don’t mind, can I get your number?" Even though his back was to her, Sulli noticed his ears turning crimson red.

'Please say yes', Minho repeated to himself.

His wishes were granted as Sulli replied, “Sure”.

"Great!" Minho tried to suppress his overflowing joy.

They took out their phones and exchanged numbers. After that, he placed the newly made drinks on a tray and a lemon cheesecake plus seven macarons.

Sulli was confused. “We didn’t order macarons”.

Minho chuckled. “I’ll give them to you guys for free”, he winked.

Once again, Sulli couldn’t resist and her face flushed. “Thanks”.

"No problem, I’ll send you a text later okay?"

Sulli eagerly nodded and waved a goodbye at him.

Minho waved back and flashed a grin showing his perfectly white teeth.

Who ever said ‘love at first sight’ wasn’t real?


Hope you enjoyed it :)