December 25

An Exceptional Christmas Occasion

December 25, Christmas Day

 

Hyemin hated that feeling lurking in her, she felt terrible. Despite sitting near the fireplace; hands a few centimetres above the fire, she felt her heart ache as it started to freeze. Hyemin felt as if she was dead, and the blood in her body ran cold.

 

Sitting near the fireplace won't work. The tiny sparks that emitted from the pit of fire reminded her of someone.

 

Chanyeol.

 

His natural hair was hayana brown with a few fine strands that were around the colour of copper shimmer. He looked dashing with his natural hair that would shine under the bright summer sun.

 

That can’t do it, staying in the apartment that once belonged to both of them. She can’t help but to think of him again.

 

The way his mouth forms into a half-smile and the huskiness in his voice. It was two years already, how time flies. A famous person once said that time heals everything. Hyemin had to disagree with him.

 

As the days passed, her condition deteriorated. Both mentally and physically, she felt terrible. The arms and limbs of Hyemin ached whenever she thought of Chanyeol.

 

She was love-sick and nothing seemed to heal her heart, not even her favourite cheesecake. She once had thoughts about forgetting Chanyeol but it failed miserably as she over-worked herself in college and fell into a big mess.

She was certain of a fact that she couldn't live without Chanyeol.

 

It became worse when Christmas was approaching. She would think of Chanyeol’s signature dish; gingerbread pancakes with hot-chocolate. Hyemin hugged herself tightly and tried to make that thought vanish from her head. Hyemin would experience that excruciating pain and tears would form in her eyes. She detested this feeling, no matter how many times she experienced it each day for the past two years.

 

Another reason why Christmas was a painful and distressing season for Hyemin was that the day after Christmas was Chanyeol’s birthday. She still remembered the burnt cake she had baked for the birthday boy. Being a clumsy and bad cook, she always left the cooking to Mr. Park. Seeing the heartfelt feelings put into the charred cake and some burnt marks on Hyemin’s delicate hands, Chanyeol was touched.

 

Despite countless disapprovals from Hyemin that he shouldn’t consume the cake, Chanyeol ate it with tears of joy, overjoyed that he was finally able to have some homemade food.

 

The flashback made Hyemin hit her chest hard. The pain in her heart was unbearable.

 

“I hate you, Chanyeol, for leaving me.”

 

As cheesy as it sounds, Chanyeol was the only one that could make the emotional girl laugh at all times. His wide eyes and smile made her day.

 

She was nothing without her happy virus.

 

Hyemin decided to leave the apartment without grabbing her coat along as it reminded her dearly of Chanyeol. She was already freezing herself so she found no need to wear more layers.

 

She walked past a pond and couldn't help but to have another glimpse of it. She stopped in her tracks, staring at the sight before her.

 

The pond was frozen with little cracks in the solid ice. There was a certain lotus trying to grow, but it seems to have froze along with the water. In the summer, the lotus was once beautiful, but now it was just rotting.

 

 

It looked familiar to Hyemin. A perfect example of her heart now, sooner or later Hyemin’s heart would end up like that lotus; she would be no different from an emotionless ice-queen.

 

“That lotus is a pitiful one, aye?”

 

Hyemin looked up to the man, he was tall and was wearing a coat; frizzy hair covering part of his eyes and an unshaved mustache which made him look masculine. That gruff voice coming out from the stranger made her think of Chanyeol again.

 

*No, it can’t be. Everything to me is like Chanyeol. Chanyeol is dead.*

 

“I have to agree on that. Fate is just cruel. What are doing out here, it’s cold.”  

 

“I’m planning to reunite with the girl I left two years ago but I’m uncertain if she’s willing to accept me. What if...she has her new sweetheart already?” That husky voice reached to a lower octave as he showed his uncertainty and fear.

 

“You’re a coward. Then, what if she is exactly like me? I am waiting for my other half who left me also two years ago. What a coincidence.” Hyemin persuaded herself to believe that she had to move on; she couldn't let fate punch her in the chest and be the victor of the fight.

 

Wait, but she had this little sixth sense that was telling her that the stranger in front of her may be Chanyeol. The stranger just had the warmth that her happy virus gave off but he looked different. Chanyeol had always have a clear and neat appearance but this stranger gave off a dirty image with his unkempted image.

 

It wouldn't hurt just to try out right?

 

“Chanyeol?” Hyemin stared at the stranger before her. There was sort of a little glint in guy’s eyes and then his mouth form into a curve.

 

“Cheesecake monster?”

 

Both of them rushed towards each other and embraced tightly. Hyemin never want to let go of this bear hug, it was Chanyeol. She felt warm and safe in his embrace, all the unhappiness, worries, fear were all lifted from her shoulders. But, she was shocked, wasn't Chanyeol dead? She brushed that thought away, Chanyeol means everything and she didn't need any explaination.

 

She could feel her blood turning warm, she could breathe properly, like a normal human.

 

“Hye, what’s wrong with you? You’re freezing cold.” Chanyeol broke the hug and gazed at the crescents in her relieved eyes.

 

“Idiot, don’t break the hug! I want to stay like this forever.” Happiness flowed into Hyemin as she was relieved that she returned to her usual self. The childish and petty princess came back instantly.

 

He chuckled at her speech and reached for her, one hand on her waist and the other behind her head. He tilt sideways and slowly pressed his lips against Hyemin’s.

 

She returned the kiss and in her thought, she thanked Santa in her heart for fulfilling the wish she had asked for the past two years.

 

This is indeed the best Christmas ever!

"I want to tell you something which I wasn't able to tell you for even once." She took a deep breath.

"I love you." Hyemin wanted to say this for so long. She regretted not saying that even once before Chanyeol went missing. She could die a happy woman now.

 

Chanyeol was back and it seemed like a fairytale. However, there was this mystery. How did Chanyeol come back after 2 years? Hyemin questioned him umpteen times, but just Chanyeol kept quiet.

 

This would indeed be a riddle for Hyemin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments and constructive criticism are always loved! Thanks for subscribing and upvoting. Should I create a sequel for the fic? Well, there is still a mystery. I would like to thank all subscribers, commentors as well as upvoters. You guys have played a big role in my writing 'life'. Merry Christmas!

-Chey