Evenings

The Dream Pursuer

Adjusting was never an easy thing for Sunggyu to do. He woke up in an alien world and was expected to just accept everything he was thrown into? For all he knew, this was all a stupid trick - a joke for accusing Hoya of stealing his most prized possession. There must be a way out. But finding it's the issue.

 

"Wake up, sleepy-head."

And the new guy was another thing: he was nothing short of annoying.

"It's morning, get up!"

 

A kick in his side jolted him out of bed, "Alright! I get it!"

 

The boy named ‘Woohyun’ joined them in their exploration of the new land - maybe just Hoya and Sunggyu called it that. He was a part of the small community that Dongwoo had come from and claimed to be a great member of society. He seemed to just be accepted into the odd group that it made the two foreigners wonder how close he was to the elder.

 

The swaying maroon meadows never lost their touch; every time Sunggyu glanced at the fields, they made him ponder. What type of joke even is this? Hasn’t it been going on for a bit too long?

“We’re leaving now,” Hoya reported, “I don’t know where we are going, but we’re going now.”

He left without another word. Not one more emotionless word. There’s something going on.

 

“You’ve heard about them, right? The committee?”

Dongwoo swept past them, to murmur in Woohyun’s ear. Something along the lines of clues and wandering.

“Ah, right,” Woohyun began, “you mean nothing at all?”

Dongwoo nodded, a faint smile on his lips.

An anxious laugh escaped before Woohyun began his explanation, “Well, the committee is one of the anti-diverger – that’s you guys – groups here and possibly and biggest and most powerful. But don’t worry about them, there’s just a bunch of uptight lunati- ow!”

Muffled laughter was softened to silence with a single death stare.

“Like, in those spy movies? Do they wear black suits and big sunglasses and drink endless champagne bottles whenever they feel like it?” Hoya had watched many, many movies in his lifetime.

“What kind of spy movies do you watch?”

Hoya shrugged, “Better ones than you.”

“And that means that you how much better than me? -25%?” Sunggyu laughed.

“No fair!” typical, “I’m no good at maths!”

 

Constantly moving around was a nightmare to some, an adventure to others. Yet golden midnight sky was admittedly one of Sunggyu’s absolute favourites. The way the darkened gold shimmered wholly instead of tiny patches of distant stars reminded him of nothing he ever saw before. It was almost personally inviting him to gawk at the unwavering sky for hours on end. But he remembered when the sky was a much different colour. He remembered when puffs of white either floated by each other across the sky or reigned over the land beneath to force it into its severe storms. He remembered the fine details, whether he liked it or not.

 

Staying in one place seemed absurd to Dongwoo.

“I know you keep houses and call them ‘homes’, but what’s the point? Wherever you go, you come back to the exact same place? How do you explore?”

His rant went on for days. Literally days.

“So how do you settle down for a good night’s rest?” the question sounded quite accusing, though Sunggyu was sure the others knew he was just a bit tired.

“You mean you haven’t noticed? This bag pack isn’t just an accessory, you know.”

And surely enough, Sunggyu hadn’t actually noticed the bag pack before. Naivety was something that small children possessed, but the almighty Sunggyu?

 

Nightfall was, once again, a breathtaking view that wouldn’t implant itself properly in Sunggyu’s mind. Foliage was much like an eternal autumn, shades of reds and oranges unfaltering as they passed. Sunggyu still had no idea where he was heading, especially with a complete stranger who could potentially be a criminal, but he had no idea about anything there. No knowledge of the people; not a clue about the location. He heard somebody’s light footsteps but dared not to look back.

“Be careful who you let in, because that person might just be your downfall,” the voice came as a whisper.

A whisper that resonated in his mind. Maybe placing my trust so early was a mistake.

 


A/N: Here is yet another short chapter for a long wait... oops