Better or Worst

Would I See Her Smile?

Joohee gave a slight wave at her mother, Mrs. Song while adjusting her duffel backpack on her shoulders.  She watched silently as Mrs. Song started the engine again of her old Volkswagen car after sending her daughter off with a kiss on the forehead.

Her face was disgusted with a frown and her face never changed like that since last year.

Apparently, she dyed her hair blonde; it was supposed to be brown. She cut her hair short; it was supposed to be long. She also didn’t tie her hair; it was supposed to be a pony-tail.

Joohee began to walk towards her class, her head hung low. Students each stole a glance at Joohee in disgust, whispering, gossiping and chatting about the poor girl,

“It’s the stupid outcast. I couldn’t believe she still schools here.”

“She’s a total idiot! I wonder she got a scholarship to school here.”

“I heard a so-called rumor than she broke the school rules. Was it true?”

Joohee heaved a deep sigh, her feet making their way towards her class at the first block. She was used to it already. She made a total change of herself ever since that incident and heck no, she wouldn’t recall it again.

She tried hard not to spill her tears at the rude comments about her as she passed the other classes. She didn’t cry at all because she wanted to prove to the students that she was still strong after the aftermath.

Joohee chewed on her lower lip and entered the class. Her head was still hung low, facing the ground as she walked to the back of the class. Yes, she sat at the back of the class and it wasn’t her teacher’s decision, it was hers.

Joohee sat comfortably on her seat and released her backpack from her shoulders. She rested her chin on her hands, looking around the class as she inhaled the air.

Gross, who would burn down trees early in the morning? Joohee thought of herself and shook her head. She stole a glance at her digital watch; it was 5:59a.m.

She was now alone in class and that made her wonder why would many students would be in school early in the morning.

Suddenly, her eyes caught the sight of someone walking into class. It was Kim Joonmyun, her class president. He always came after Joohee and the two would always be in class even though they were not talking to each other.

She chewed on her lower lip again at the sight. The lad looked at Joohee and flashed a bright smile, giving the girl a wave.

Joohee waved back but unfortunately, she didn’t even smile at all. She was still hurt by everything; her heart broke into pieces as she began to think about the thing again.

Joonmyun went towards his seat in the back row of class at the middle. He released his backpack from his shoulders and he turned his gaze at Joohee, still smiling widely like an idiot.

His heart played this sweet rhythm whenever he faced the beautiful goddess and he liked it very much. That girl was indeed beautiful, who wouldn’t like her anyway? But Joohee was now an outcast due to last year’s incident.

Joohee wouldn’t want to recall that incident again and she was still hurting from it. She couldn’t bear the pain; her mind was spinning at the thought. Oh why, would her old friends do that to her?

Joonmyun heaved a deep sigh and he ped his backpack, taking out a notebook and a blue pen. He began to write something on it after going to an empty page while stealing numerous glances at Joohee secretly.

3rd June, 6:03a.m.

Dear Diary,

As always, Joohee came earlier than me and wow, wasn’t she stunning? I’m not saying that I have a crush on her but she’s just too beautiful, even though she never smiled after last year. I really pity her and she shouldn’t deserve such friends. Nothing would happen if she would be friends with those brats.

Now, she’s an outcast and she’s now cold, not cheerful as always. She would be all dorky and 4D but everything changed. I really missed that side of hers. I knew (nearly) everything about her because yeah, we were group-mates for the second semester last year. I wonder this year, we would be group-mates for the second semester again.

I just want to know her more so, she would finally smile like always. I know I’ve been writing my so-called mission for months but it’s my dream to do that. I have always wanted the old, real Song Joohee and I wished every night that it would happen. Hey, dreams could happen if you believe in them, you know.

I don’t know if I’m really falling for Joohee but it’s not time for me to think about that. I would just have to focus on my mission. I just wanted her to smile before we end our senior year. Time flies fast, don’t you think? Well, I hate it and if only time could slow down a bit, I’ll try my best to make the move.

Well, Joonmyun’s now signing off. I’ll be writing more again later during recess and I’ll see what’s up with Joohee. I know I’m such a stalker of her but my mission must be accomplished this year and I’m going to do this and maybe, realize my true feelings.

Written by the one and only,

Kim Joonmyun.

Joonmyun continued his staring session at Joohee and his smile just grew wider. She was gazing at the window, caressing the glass gently with her fingers.

Ah, what a beautiful sight. Joonmyun thought to himself and slapped himself across his cheek. Joohee immediately turned her gaze at Joonmyun and raised her brows in confusion,

“Is everything okay?”

Joonmyun’s heart softened at that soft, sweet, relaxing voice and he just nodded his head as a respond, showing her a thumbs up as he whispered softly, “Everything’s okay.”

The class president didn’t realize that his cheeks turned a tint of crimson. He just embarrassed himself with his own actions, which was watching (or staring at) a beautiful lady.

Joohee let out a soft chuckle at the sight, even though she wasn’t smiling and she turned her gaze back at the window. She felt a tear was rolling down her cheek as she wiped her tear with a thumb.

Everything’s going to be alright, Joohee. Just believe in yourself, you can do this since you’re getting used to your so-called new life. Joohee thought to herself, encouraging herself to prepare for the might-be-miserable day.

Joonmyun blinked his eyes as he saw Joohee wiping an invisible tear (according to his own sight) on her cheek. He immediately remembered about last year’s incident and shook the thought off his head. He didn’t want to recall that moment again because he also felt what Joohee felt on that miserable night.

Fifty minutes later, the bell rang, meaning classes would start soon. Students in Joohee’s class began to start their so-called gossiping session, making the class noisy as always.

Joohee heaved a deep sigh as she ped her backpack, taking out her English books. She looked around the class once again – she knew that nobody would talk to her, except for Joonmyun earlier.

She didn’t know why he would take the courage to talk to an outcast like her. Thank goodness, nobody saw that or not, students would spill the beans about it, which was Joohee’s worst nightmare.

Miss Oh, their English teacher, walked into class with grace, carrying a pile of papers on both of her hands and the students stood up, greeting her “Good morning” with a bow.

“Good morning, class. Please, sit down,” Miss Oh ordered, with a huge smile plastered on her face.

“Today, I would give your mid-semester paper and the lucky girl who gets the highest marks this semester is..” Miss Oh cleared and continued her words, “Song Joohee!”

Joohee was surprised, like really. It was her dream to get the highest marks in English since the lucky person would get a gift from Miss Oh. Unexpectedly, everyone burst into (a maybe forced) applause.

Joohee stood up from her seat and walked towards Miss Oh, to get her paper and gift. Miss Oh gave the petite girl her paper and a nicely wrapped small box as she said,

“Congratulations, Song Joohee. This is such an improvement for you. Oh yes, about your gift, do open it during recess, sweetheart.”

Joohee blinked her eyes in confusion at Miss Oh’s words and nodded her head understandingly. Her lips were still curled into a frown since her heart was still broken.

Joohee bowed her head as she chewed on her lower lip - it’s been her habit even before the incident, saying. “Thanks a lot, Miss Oh. It means a lot to me.”

“I’m glad that you survived through your aftermath. Stay strong.”

Joohee heaved another deep sigh and she caressed the little box with her fingers. “Okay. Once again, thanks a lot for everything, Miss Oh.”

She walked back to her seat after bowing deeply at the teacher. Joonmyun’s eyes followed Joohee with every move she made and his lips slowly cracked into a smile. Maybe, his mission wouldn’t be so hard after all.

It was finally time for recess, which was Joohee’s favourite time to hang out by herself. She put the box into a pocket in her school uniform and went towards the cafeteria, getting a tray.

She had a ham sandwich, vanilla ice cream and a carton of strawberry milk on her tray. She went towards the Science Garden, which was also Joohee’s favourite hangout.

She sat on one side of a bench next to a wooden table, which was put in a so-called hut in the garden. She was used to this situation since she would always be alone.

Before she would eat the food on her tray, she took out the box Miss Oh gave her and her heart was racing faster than adrenaline – what could be hidden inside the box?

Suddenly, she heard footsteps nearing her table and she looked up, not feeling surprised at all. It was Joonmyun, still with his bright smile plastered on his cute face.

“May I have lunch with you, Joohee? If it’s not fine with you, I’ll be on my way.”

“Um..” At first, Joohee hesitated and she began to ponder into her thoughts, trying to find the best solution. “Don’t you have any friends?”

She knew that was the dumbest question she had ever asked in her entire life.

“I do but I see that you need a friend to have lunch with so, may I have lunch with you? It’s just for this week.”

Joohee let out a light huff and nodded her head as slow as a turtle. “Okay. But do promise me, it’s just for a week.”

“I promise!” With that, Joonmyun sat in front of Joohee. He watched as Joohee’s fingers caressed the baby blue bow on the box Miss Oh gave her.

“Why won’t you open the box?” Joonmyun questioned after he munched on his chicken sandwich.

“I was going to open it earlier until you interrupted me.” Joohee snorted.

Joonmyun let out a soft chuckle at the girl’s coldness and he shook his head, thinking. She’s cold but cute – I like that side of hers.

Joohee slowly opened the box and her eyes glistened, a tear rolling down her cheek. It was a five-carat necklace that she had dreamt to buy it for months!

Joonmyun’s eyes widened at the sight and he began to panic, questioning immediately, “What’s wrong, Joohee?”

“This is the necklace that I’ve been dreaming to buy it. But how Miss Oh knew about it?”

“Oh, look, there’s a note.” Joonmyun pointed to a note in the box and Joohee immediately took it, reading the note.

Song Joohee, did you still remember when I met you at the downtown jewelry shop in January? I saw you looking at this necklace and I knew you want this so bad so, I bought it for you. Thank goodness, your English has improved. Congratulations and good luck, surviving your senior year.

Lots of love from,

Miss Oh.

Joohee heaved another sigh but this time, she felt satisfied. It felt that life was getting better.

“Um, Joohee..”

“Yes?”

“You better eat your lunch. Recess is nearly over.”

“Oh yeah, you’re right. Thanks, Joonmyun.”

“No problem. I’m glad that I got to help you, my friend.

Joonmyun took a sip of his carton of milk. Joohee’s heart softened at his words but it skipped a beat on those two words, my friend.

Joohee shook the thought out of her head as she began to munch on her ham sandwich but her head was still spinning. She didn’t know if Joonmyun would be like her first friend after the aftermath but she wasn’t sure.

While on Joonmyun’s side, he was very satisfied right now. Even though Joohee’s lips never curled into a huge mega-watt smile, he knew that the girl was feeling very happy throughout the obstacles in her life.

The bell rang, meaning that recess was over. Fortunately, Joohee had finished her lunch. Without her knowing, Joonmyun had left the girl alone in the bench.

Joohee scurried off as she put the note and necklace back into the box, putting it inside her pocket. She took the tray and ran towards the cafeteria, putting her tray into a basin.

She went back towards her class and thank goodness, Miss Goo, their Literature teacher, wasn’t in class. By the time she sat on her seat, she saw a note on her table –

The beautiful necklace suits you well, Joohee. Well, you’re indeed beautiful. I hope we could be friends in the future despite you being an outcast.

From the class president,

Kim Joonmyun.

Joohee’s cheeks flushed red for the same time at the compliment. She stole a glance at Joonmyun and she shook her head. Maybe, this second semester in Incheon Arts High wouldn’t be so bad after all.

A/N: Ah, this is the longest first chapter I've ever written [2,367 in Word /sheds tears]! I'm just too psyched for this fic. I hope the first chapter doesn't . Thanks for the support, everyone and do leave a comment! Upvoting is up to you guys.. well, we'll meet again at the next chapter and.. Chanyeol will appear soon!