Prologue

The 39th

 

 

 

{  T h e   3 9 t h  : P r o l o g u e  }

 

 

The sun's feeble warmth and the grass field's breezes d his body and brought him to a nice morning wake. He peeks out of his window and stretches his sleep-paralyzed body, completely hugging the fresh air. He stares at the undying view that he witnesses every single day.

 

Usually, he'll smile and slippers himself in his 10th birthday original 12,000 cotton blue night footwear, which he counts as the most expensive belonging that his step-parents bought for him so he takes good care of it. The best part about it is that it has googly eyes, a pair of fluffy dangling ears and a cute nose and mouth. It makes this child's day as uplifting as possible.

 

He'll quietly advance to his step-parents room and will surprise them with a larger-than-an-alarm morning greeting. His parents will get themselves up and smile at his silliness, and they will go on with the day like as a happy family. His father works close at home as he takes care of their rice and herb fields, while her mother and him travels to the city as her mother works at a little hostel in the busy streets of Seoul as a counter clerk. And, Luhan learns at a prestigious school nearby that was made possible by his step-parents efforts, and his own too!

 

Weekly, he brings his father's herb produces to his school at at least two school days, wherein mothers of his schoolmates hauls over. With his surprising "business" talks and very pleasing attitude; don't forget to mention, his angel-like looks, he has been very likeable around such environment that he isn't supposedly fitted to.

 

At the end of the day, Luhan goes home with his mother that he waits on a nearby bus stop where he lastly sells his sold-out herbs and spices, and goes home with a proud smile on his face. Their small family, in a small house, and with a small money, is such a big thing for this child. He'll give all of his father's earnings and refuses if his father gives him some and will tell him that he need no money, and all that he need is for them to be happy. No foster parents could be as proud as what Luhan landed unto.

 

He then will lock himself in his room, and will arrange his homeworks in an order in his bed-top. But before everything sweaty starts, he'll stand up on his toes at his bed and reach on a high cabinet above him to grab his favorite novel. He picked it up from a very special person who unconsciously dropped it. He was in the thought of giving it back to that person, but he knew he'll never have the guts to. He will give it a hug and would pull out a 4 by 4 polaroid of a well-known face at his school. He will look at the back of it and read the name penned at the white blank space... Oh Sehun, his lips formed those three syllables that gives his heart those extra beats.

 

He stares at the book, thinking about it's owner. The book, "A Visit to Heaven" was about two lovers whom met and had their love for each other, but consequences arose and made them into the decision of separation. They made a promise to each other thay they would never look back and it will be the end of everything...

 

 

"Luhan?" His mother's voice suddenly appeared out of thin air, that quickly vanishes Luhan's reverie. Her mother knocks on his door, and Luhan responded to it after hiding the book and the picture under his pillow.

 

"Yes, mom?" His teeth slipped at the small gap he made at the door he opened.

 

"Why is your room locked? Are you hiding something?" Her mother wondered as she overlooks at his son's room above his small height.

 

Luhan noticed her mother suspiciously checking his room, so he made the door gap slighter. "I'm just busy, mom. I'm doing a lot of homeworks today." He stated his alibi.

 

"Well, dinner is ready. Get out whenever you're done, but don't let the food get cooled down, okay?" Her mother informed him.

 

"Yes, mother. Let me guess..." Luhan sniffed the scent in the air. "Japanese again, eh? And that has got to be miso soup?" He guessed, knowingly that his father likes to cook nihongo cuisines.

 

"Oh, you can't telltale me out of that, son. I know you're hiding something". Her mother lasers her eyes on him.

 

"Nothing, mom. Really."

 

"Well..." Her mom started walking back to the kitchen. "That hasn't got to be your crush's picture on a stolen book." Her mom popped out of her talkative mouth.

 

The young one froze for a moment and rested his heavy head on the door. He closed the door and pushed his back on it. My mother knows it?, he said to himself in a low voice. He freaked out and hid the book in another place where he is now sure that his mother would never find. He was so curious if his mother knows what he has been treasuring, so he went out and directed to the kitchen.

 

"Hey, mom." Luhan presented himself at the table, running his fingertips at the edge of the wooden furniture as he steps closer to his mother.

 

"Why are you out so early? I thought you're on your homework?" Her mom asked as she was chewing the soft bean curd.

 

"I'll be back... I just have to ask you something." Luhan went to his mother's back and placed his palm on her mother's shoulder, massaging it slowly.

 

"What is this bribe, son? Do you want something?" The lady tested out her little boy.

 

He pursed his lips near to her mother's ears and whispered, "About the thing you said about the book and the picture. How did you know?" He said while trying to stop himself from grinning his teeth.

 

"What book?" She said in her normal voice. Luhan then quickly pushes her mother's head down and told her to back the volume up a bit. Her mother shook her head and refused that she is stating something in existence.Those things was only from her mind.

 

Luhan pulls back and breathed normally. He was very tensed, but after knowing that her mother haven't discovered anything about the book or the picture made him refreshed. He pulled a seat next to her mother, and had a smile like nothing happened. He grabs for his own plate and reached for the rice, stirring on his own.

 

"I won't be mad if you'd have a crush anyway." Her mother started and sips the hot soup from her bowl. "You're 14 years old, we won't baby you that much anymore." She puts down her soup and reaches for the napkin. "But be sure you won't show up with those rabbit slippers if you want to win someone's heart, my dear." She joked as she wipes , that made her husband burst out in laughter, spitting the water he was drinking. His father nodded instead of saying anything because he can't stop laughing at what her mother said.

 

 

The pissed child walks back to his room and slams it shut. He throws himself to his bed and buries his blushing face in his pillow. He has that urge to shout on his mom because of the embarrassment she made, but he couldn't regret it but because those slippers is really a personal fave. He turns around and looks at the dark blue sky dotted with white little stars. He hums with the noise of the wind, until someone shot out of his window.

 

"Luhan!" A familiar face greeted him. It was Chanyeol, a friend just next-door, and his shoulder and ear for the times he needed to let something out. "Got something to tell me?" He smiled as he asks his friend.

 

"Yeah. Come in." Luhan smiles at what surprised him. Chanyeol steps in to his bed and comforts himself on the mattress. Luhan crawls to the low-leveled window and looked down. "You stole Mr. Lee's ladder again. This time you have to return it or else your mother will be apologizing again for something so stupidly insignificant." He laughs.

 

Chanyeol taps Luhan's shoulders and lets out a giggle. "I will, I will. Well then, what's new? With you and that Oh Sehun." He said in a flirty but funny tone that made Luhan gain those rosy burns on his cheeks. Chanyeol is the only one knowledgeable about Luhan's affection for Oh Sehun; he trusts him anyway.

 

Their conversation lasts up to midnight. Sometimes there are moments where Chanyeol sleeps in Luhan's house, and when the morning springs, his very worried mother appears in their house looking for her very naughty son.

 

 

 

Days and days had passed and he had that sudden urge to tell Sehun about his feelings. Even though they never talked, they never interacted with each other, and never even looked at each other's eyes, Luhan still had that childish thought that maybe this time was his time to confess.

 

So one day, he was left all alone in an empty street, practicing his words of confession. He was so tensed and he was very nervous at his sudden decision, but he kept himself together and tried to be as confident as possible. It was the time when he was looking at the sky, citing words that flew out of his mind onto his mouth when suddenly someone peeked on the gate not far from him.

 

He didn't notice it at first until the mysterious person suddenly went out and entered Luhan's presence without permission. He faced Luhan and Luhan was shocked at whom he saw. It can't be... It is... He can't believe it that his mind went blank, dead-air bestowed upon him.

 

 

 

"Luhan." The person walked closer to Luhan's position. He went trembling in fear and his knees started to weaken.

 

 

 

"I have to say something to you." He reached for Luhan's hand and held it tightly. Luhan can almost feel the other's blood pumping in his tensed palm... they were both nervous.

 

 

Why is this happening, he asked himself. Why am I in front of him? What is Oh Sehun doing to me? What is this? Those questions fogged his mind, and he almost felt like fainting out of mixed emotions.

 

 

 

"I know it so sudden, but I like you..." Sehun confessed and dropped his head down.

 

 

 

 

"Since the very first day." He exposed, putting his hands on his pocket and looked up to Luhan.

 

 

 

 

 

"Remember that day when we were at the library? Your face was really red, and yet I find it adorable." Sehun explained, trying to make the other understand the true feelings he is conveying.

 

 

 

 

 

"And as I see you at places, I couldn't understand what I am feeling. My heart skips a beat, and my neck and spine freezes and burns alternatively." He continued, with his cheeks flustering by the words he said. He thought it was cheesy, but the emotions he brought up is simple yet enough for him to prove his side.

 

 

 

 

 

"And that's why I like-- er, I love you."

 

 

 

 

Luhan's heart literally stopped beating. He was so scared at that moment that he almost thought he is about to lose his life... out of extreme joy. Luhan's eyes started to glisten, and he held unto Sehun's wrist , feeling the moment.

 

" I love you too..." Luhan slowly and carefully replied.

 

Sehun looked at the other's face with a smile. "Really?" His smile was unmeasurable, like no one has ever been so happy to hear those words out of the mouth of the person they love.

 

Their feelings started growing into a more close and mutual affection right after that moment. They obviously both had the itch to hug each other, to feel each other in their arms, but no one knows how to move... because all they know that they had found their true love, and it is in front of theirselves; nothing can replace that silence, that special silence between the newly found lovers.

 

In the physical world, they haven't notice that a roaring car started rushing up to were they stand. The once empty and quiet street, grew into a flush of voices and flashing red lights.

 

Luhan's parents then later appeared, as well as Sehun's, to check out on their sons in their ambulances. The moment they have been together separated them quickly by the decision of fate.

 

Everything in Luhan's mind was suddenly forgotten, and all he knew is that he has to be with Sehun... he has to be with his love. And it is the same as what Sehun's might be thinking at that moment. Sehun received most of the impact and he was the only unconscious between the two victims. Luhan was worried sick that he didn't even thought about himself. He tried to free himself away from the medics and his parents; he was dying to check out the other.

 

 

 

Tears from his face fell down on his cheeks as the ambulance started to part the both of them away.

 

 

 

This couldn't be true. Luhan cursed in his mind. Tears was raining from his eyes and his heart was thundering in emotions he couldn't explain. He didn't know how to save Sehun with his situation.

 

 

 

And the next thing he knew, he woke up. He was in his bed... He was staring at the view he always wakes up to, he was facing the place where he used to find comfort. But the wind's approach to his skin was rather different, it was terrifying and sorrowful. The sky was filled with clouds that it almost blocked out the shine of the bright sun. He couldn't remember of what much happened after the accident, and he wanted to forget about it and just pray that Sehun is fine as he is.