Birthday

The Idols of Mount Olympus

Seohyun sighed as the melodious bell rang throughout the hall. She pushed her way out of the covers and glared at her unnies, all soundly asleep. Who would’ve imagined that the 9 muses, or 9 young maidens could sleep, and snore, their way through anything? Or 8 of them at least.

She neatly made her bed, got dressed, and grabbed an apple before heading out. Almost as an afterthought, Seohyun reached up to set the alarm to ring again in 30 minutes. The only possible thing that could wake them up at the moment was the melodious voice of Aphrodite’s son, Luhan.

They had all had a fascination with the gods until their children became immortal. There were a few that the 9 untouchable girls would have loved to get to know better. Well, except for her. She liked them sure, but she wasn’t into the whole give-up-your-immortalness-for-a-few-years-of-love deal. That was the deal with being a minor goddess.

She was picking up a book someone had asked her to approve of when she heard some whispers outside the door. A sigh came out as she recognized them.

 “Do you think they’re awake yet?”

“I don’t know…They’re pretty deep sleepers.”

“Except for the youngest one, she always gets up early.”

“What time?”

“Right now.” Seohyun raised an eyebrow at a few boys huddling outside the door she had just opened that led to the muses’ suite.

She recognized both of them as Baekhyun and Kai, some minor gods. The former was always hanging around the muses and trying to catch glimpses of them. Crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow she waited, “Can I help you with something?”

Baekhyun had gone a bright shade of red and smiled shyly. “Um, hyung wanted to see you.”

“Really Kai?” Seohyun tilted her head with an amused smile. The wonder that kept most of her sisters awake at night was biting his lip. If only they could see it.

“Uh no Seohyun noona! I mean you’re awesome but it’s not me he’s talking about, Kyuhyun hyung wanted to see you.”

“Really? Well thanks for telling me boys. And why don’t you two go get some sleep. It’s still pretty early.” She turned to leave as they bowed and walked the other way. “By the way,” she threw over her shoulder, “the unnies will get up in 30 minutes Baek.”

She heard a whoop of delight before rolling her eyes and biting into her breakfast. Why would Kyuhyun need to see her? She had met with the god of music, healing, sun, everything literally just yesterday to go over the performance schedule later that day.


Seohyun walked around the large palace while glancing through the book, nodding at other minor gods and nymphs as they hurried by. Everyone was getting ready for the big celebration that day. It was Leeteuk’s birthday and there was nothing he liked more than a concert.

Which was why she wasn’t surprised to see Kyuhyun slightly freaked out in the music room.

“Oh Seohyun-a! Good you’re here. I just want to make sure that no one’s sick, throwing up, lost their voice, died, or done something horrendous that would mess up the party today.”

She handed him an apple she had picked up along the way and took the stack of papers from him. “Relax, it’s going to be fine. Besides, we’re not even the main event. I’m sure people would love to hear the gods sing more. Especially you.”

He nodded and then turned pale. “Wait me?”

“Stop joking around oppa, you’re the god of music. No one’s better than you.” She grinned as he nodded.

“Right, I’m the god of music. No one better than me…Can you help me practice?”

“Do you have sheet music?” She riffled through the papers to find the right one and sat down at the piano. “Ready?”


Elsewhere in the palace, other gods were worrying about the performance as well.

“Yah, why can’t we do Lucifer?” Key was screaming at the top of his lungs, his black robes flying as he argued with Minho.

“Well I don’t know if Leeteuk wants to hear about that…Can’t we pick something more suitable?”

“Taemin, what do you want?” Onew giggled as he sipped some more wine.

“Taemin, take the alcohol away from him. Taemin? Onew why’d you give him wine, you know it’s not good for him.” Key nagged as he lunged for the glasses.

“But Keeeey! I like it! Besides, I don’t care what we sing as long as I get a nice solo.”

Jonghyun just sighed as he ate his breakfast. “Why am I with you guys again this year?”

“Because the nymphs loved it last year.” Minho answered matter-a-factly.

“How about we just pick a random song and get on with it. I have to go fix one of my machines.” Jonghyun muttered under his breath.

“We can’t just do any song. The last time someone did a random thing for Leeteuk didn’t end well…” Key groaned. “The guy is still stuck in the underworld and he won’t shut up with that gwiyomi song it’s driving me crazy.”

“Can we do this later? I have a headache.” Onew groaned and threw a songbook at the others. “Just look through that and tell me what it is in an hour.”


Luhan followed the others toward the hall where the performance was being held. He had already preformed earlier with some other minor gods and was enjoying the festivities. He nodded to a few people and winced every time someone fell down after he did so. “Hey Baekhyun!” He waved to his friend and walked over.

“Oh hi hyung!” Baekhyun was waiting at the door with an anxious look on his face.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, perfectly fine. Fine. Just looki—“ he trailed off as a smile broke his face.

Luhan turned around to see 9 ladies walking their way. “Hi noonas!” he chirped and waved.

A chorus of “Hi Luhan” and “You were great Luhan!” echoed in the hall before they had to go backstage. He turned around to see an upset Baekhyun.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, genuinely confused.

“I’m never going anywhere with you again!” Baekhyun huffed as he walked to his seat.

Luhan scratched his head before shrugging and following to find his own seat.


“And that was our male gods with an…interesting happy birthday song for our favorite god of thunder.” The MC was Henry, who quickly closed the curtains. The original happy birthday song had been intercut by Key, who wanted to sing Lucifer or something. That was when Ares started fighting him, and the rest of the gods got involved or something. The stage was smoking and a string of curses still made their way out from behind the thick curtains. The song had still sounded great though.

Seohyun shook her head as she straightened her dress. They were the next act and the last one of the day. Kyuhyun had already gone and was flawless as always.

“Are you ready?” he appeared at her shoulder and grinned, looking much more relaxed after his performance.

“Yep, wish us luck!” She grinned as she followed the rest of her unnies onto the stage.

There were still some burning statues and puddles of wine, but the stage looked presentable and the audience was in a good mood.

“And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, the 9 muses of Olympus!” Henry announced as the spotlights came on and Taeyeon started singing.

As she sang though, Seohyun noticed something peculiar. The audience was enjoying the music but there was someone there that didn’t belong. He was wearing mortal clothes, a black hoodie and jeans. He was holding a guitar. And the strangest thing of all, he was smirking. At her.