My Heart is Yours

Twelve Tales of Horror - EXO

 


 

-My Heart is yours-

 

 

Saturday morning and Baekhyun is still looking for a good thing to do. It has been a week already since the semester break started but he hasn’t been doing anything productive since then. He was the kind of person who doesn’t like hiatus. But since his housemate Chanyeol left for the vacation he was left alone in the apartment with nothing to do or no one to talk to.

 

The doorbell rang so loudly that made Baekhyun jump off the sofa he had been idling on the moment he woke up. He stood up sluggishly and went to get the door.

 

“Huh?” He raised his eyebrow when he realized he was the only one standing on the doorway. “I swear I heard the doorbell rang.” He breathes and looked down to see a big packaged lying on the doormat.

 

“Ohhhh, a package.” Baekhyun picked the blue box up and examined it. It was slightly heavy and seemed like there were several things in it. It has a yellow ribbon on top with a small card pinned in the center of its curls. His name was written on the card, a very neat hand writing indeed that made him smile.

 

“It’s not my birthday though.” He closed the door behind him and went back to the sofa, excited to open the gift.

 

Slowly, Baekhyun tore the ribbon off the packaging then the wrappings, leaving it off with a brown and boring looking box. He reached for lid and hastily pulled it open.

 

He grimaced, not because he hated it, he didn’t like it either. It was a bunch of old stuff put together in the box. Old toys, vintage looking notebooks and a rather huge jewelry box that made it even look like a pile of memories of someone. “Who’s things are these?”

 

He checked the card on the ribbon but only his name was scribbled in it, no “from”, just addressed to him.

 

Shaking his head, Baekhyun took the small teddy bear with a sprout on its head lying on the top of the jewelry box, oddly enough it was really familiar. But he can’t figure where or when did he saw it, or who owned it. He placed it back and took the next thing that caught his attention.

 

It was a notebook, a thick one. He didn’t want to be assuming but it was obvious that the notebook was dedicated to him or whatever is inside it.

 

His name was once again written in a very neat italic on the cover of the notebook. Byun Baekhyun. It brought icy chills on his back.

 

“What the hell is this?” Baekhyun uttered in disgust, he hesitantly opened the lid when a bunch of photos fell from the notebook and scattered on the floor. Baekhyun flinched. Aish, is this some kind of joke??! He thought picking the photos up.

 

He stared at the photos on his hand, scanning each and every one of them, making sense of all of it. It was his candid photos, taken without his permission.

 

Without any thoughts he threw the book and photos back in the box and closed it, kicking in under the coffee table.

 

“I swear if this is Chanyeol making fun of me I’ll ban him from coming in here.” He declared hoping Chanyeol, the innocent housemate would hear him somehow. But why would Chanyeol take my photos without my permission when we have so much selca’s together anyway.

 


 

9:30 PM. Baekhyun yawned tossing his watch back to the coffee table and walked to his room. Watching television all day was enough to tire him.

 

He pulled the unfolded blanket from the floor where he left it this morning and threw it to the bed lying down beside it and closed his eyes.

 

Baekhyun was getting close to sleep when he heard a continuous thud. It was faint but it felt like it was inside his head. He shook his head and it stopped, but only for a moment.

 

The unremitting thudding was a lot louder this time and making his head twitch. Baekhyun touched his chest not bothering to open his eyes of tiredness. It sounded like a heartbeat to him, was it his heart? He felt his heart throbbing against his chest but it wasn’t as loud as the beating inside his head.

 

He quickly sat up holding on to his chest, scared that his heart would suddenly stop but the thudding disappeared as quickly as he blinked. He sighed.

 

“I must have been dreaming…Aish.” He muttered under his breath.

 


 

Baekhyun was woken up by the loud thud coming from the living room.

 

“Wha-what?!” He jolted up, eyes still closed from his disturbed sleep. Aish, what the hell? He heard loud footsteps walking around the living room. Huh? Is Chanyeol home?  He wondered, brushing his tired eyes and stood up from his bed lazily.

 

He walked out of his room and was surprised when he stepped in the dark. He put on the light and scanned around the empty living room. I was dreaming again, was I? Baekhyun walked over to the coffee table and pulled his watch, slumping down on the sofa.

 

It was 3:10 AM.

 

He scratched his head. Why in the earth would he wake up around this time? His tiredness was far from him now and he was getting hungry. He recalled he didn’t have dinner last night since Chanyeol was always the one bringing food from school. He decided to look for something in the kitchen and luckily enough there were still a box of pizza in the fridge.

 

Baekhyun returned to the living room with a box of warm pizza and soda in his hands. He reached for the remote control and turned the television on. Spongebob was on, lazily Baekhyun settled for it as he finished stuffing his stomach with pizza.

 

Spongebob was closing to its end when Baekhyun heard the continuous thudding again, now louder in his ears. He shook his head off but it didn’t subside instead it got louder. He grabbed on his chest again feeling his own heart beating in a steady way, different from the beating in his head.

 

Moments later it subsided and Baekhyun was panting heavily still clutching on his shirt for his chest. What is happening to me?  He shook his head again. He didn’t feel ill, he feels good but what’s with the deafening heart beat?

 

I must be having flu or something. I should take medicine.

 

He went to the kitchen and looked for a medicine, or something that he can take to get rid of this weird things happening in his head, or it was his ear. Maybe he was catching a disease since he hasn’t been out for a while now. Maybe that was it.

 

He went back to the living room and almost dropped the glass of water he was holding when he found the box from yesterday lying open in the middle of the living room.

 

“What the ?!” He exclaimed. “Park Chanyeol! I swear if you’re making fun of me I’ll shave your head off so you better come out now!”

 

Silence.

 

“Chanyeol-ah…” Silence once again. The only noise in the room was the television and his own heart beating, this time he’s sure it was his that he’s hearing. Slowly he walked to the open box. Nothing was different from the way he left it yesterday morning.

 

He decided to check the notebook again. Slowly scanning the pages, it was consist of neat handwriting. It was a diary.

 

Entry #54

Dear Diary,

                I’m so sad today, I’ve took all my courage to come up to him and hand him that teddy bear personally…but he ended up leaving it on his table as if he didn’t care.

                But he looked handsome today like every day, My Baekhyun. I wish you notice me someday. You stole my heart, it will always be yours.

 

 

Baekhyun scanned more into the pages with shaking hands.

 

 

Entry #70

Dear diary,

                I found Baekhyun in the lockers today talking to a girl, who was she Baekhyun? Is she your girlfriend? My heart feels like exploding of pain right now, I wanted to pull him away and take him home but I don’t want him to get mad at me.

                My heart is still yours Baekhyunnie, I will make sure no one will hurt my Baekhyunnie.

 

Entry #74

Dear Diary,

                I followed Baekhyun to his house today to make sure he goes home safe. My heart still feels pain from what I’ve heard from his classmates. I can’t accept Baekhyun loving someone besides me. He needs to know that my heart is his and only his.

 

Baekhyun closed the notebook and threw it back to the box. This is a very sick joke! Who the are you? His anger was caught in his throat that he can’t even breathe properly.

 

Thud. Thud. Thud.

 

There it goes again, the beating in his head was stronger than before. It was in his chest and in his head beating in unison, deafening him. And just a blink of his eye, the beating slowed down and grew fainter but it was still audible to him. The television was in mute and the only sound in the room was his heavy breathes and the faint beating, coming from somewhere really, really close to him.

 

He looked down on the box and walked closer. Unconsciously, he picked the jewelry box and the beating got louder. 

 

He gulped.

 

Baekhyun opened the box with a shaking hand. He stood there unmoving, his eyes fixed on the beating heart he was now holding in the box with his hand.

 

Silence.

 

“My heart is yours, my Baekhyunie…” she whispered in his ears.

 


 

END.