1

Stranger

MB8sazsTKQ9BFR60bd4_EnZh-JzhY8hXshUhBfUTm0rrvuqItSxgMGu5DaXLJfjrK77t6N1OKv5H9oBE

 

 

 

A struggling musician sat at a corner in downtown Seoul for far longer than he could bear and at first, he thought that maybe it would benefit him, that passersby would contribute to the life he wanted to make for himself, whether it be a quarter for the bus home, or enough for a meal. But then, as the hours grew longer, and his lungs grew tired, he considered packing up his trumpet and taking his leave. Then, just as he laid his instrument into the casket, he caught sight of a girl. Yes, many others strolled past but this one caused his curiosity to stir. She was pale, and possibly ill, and this troubled him. She passed him a cursory glance, a small smile that didn’t reach her eyes, and he held out his hand to her. By sheer luck, perhaps curiosity, she took it, and he guided her to sit beside him on the bench. He picked up the exhausted horn once more and his lips curled into a small smile, causing one to lift to the girl’s as well. This one, he knew, she meant. He played for her, soft and melodic, just loud enough to emit a calm but gentle air, and watched as her eyes fluttered to a close as she enjoyed the moment while she could. Others stopped to marvel at the happening but neither of the two could mind them when they were lost in each other. For that brief moment, the world almost seemed worthy of living in.