Final

My Rooftop Prince

 

The doors to the rooftop burst open as a girl came bulldozing in. Breathing heavily, she ran to the edge of the rooftop and finally let the tears stream down her face.

It’s not fair… It’s not fair…

Holding in her sobs, she bit her lips and breathed in and out.

Your group’s debut will be postponed again.

“AAAAHHH!!!!!” She screamed into the night.  She slid down and sat on the floor and finally let go. Sobs wracking her body, her mind flashed back to the meeting a while ago.

 

Female trainees were practicing in the trainee building, expectant of their debut. With Jennie’s recent performance on Inkigayo with their senior labelmate, the girls felt giddy at the prospect of their debut day.

“How did the recording go, Jen?” Kim Jisoo, a trainee, asked as they were sitting around, resting.

Jennie smiled. “As always, I felt nervous. You could clearly hear my voice shake and I’m afraid that I disappointed Seungri-sunbae. He told me it was good but I don't think so.” She looked up at the girls and sighed. "It felt good though. I can almost feel our debut coming.” They all giggled. 

The girls all smiled as they imagined what their debut would be like. Just then, the CEO of YG Entertainment entered the practice room and all girls stood up to greet him.

“Hello Girls.” They bowed. “I am actually here to announce some news about your debut.”

The girls all felt giddy and excited, thinking that it would be confirmation of their official debut stage. But seeing the look on their CEO, Jennie guessed differently.

“I’m sad to say that your group’s debut will be postponed again.”

Their hearts dropped and the smiles on their faces were wiped off.

“But why?” Euna questioned. “Did we do something wrong?” YG shook his head.

“You girls did nothing wrong.” He sighed. “You all know the boy trainees right? Hanbin’s group and Seungyoon’s group?” They nodded.

“Well, I have decided to put them in a reality show to see who the audience would want to debut.” He looked at each of them. “The first episode was actually filmed just a while ago and will be aired in a few weeks.”

Jennie stared at their CEO in shock. He’s putting off our debut? Again?

“So, I would like you to keep practicing. Don’t worry, your debut will come soon.” And with that, he left the practice room. All was silent as the doors closed and the news sunk in.

Having known of her struggles with the hate news even before their debut, Jisoo moved to comfort Jennie. “It’s okay Jen. He’s probably just preparing us more.”

“Don’t think that this is your fault.” Eunbi spoke. “He’s keeping his promise about debuting us one at a time starting October.”

“At least you were already featured on our sunbae’s albums.” Lalice added.

It wasn’t spoken but all the girls could feel that Jennie would be the leader of the up-coming group. Even though they had two older girls, they know about YG’s standards for picking leaders.

Jennie sighed and looked at her members. “Thanks guys. But I’ll be on the rooftop for a while.” The girls nodded and Jennie left.

 

 

Her sobs died down and her body felt tired. All that pent up frustration was making her head hurt and so she closed her eyes.

 

“Jen? Are you here?” Her eyes shot open and her body stiffened. What’s he doing here?

With the dim lighting on the roof, it was hard for him to make-out where she was. But after adjusting to the lack of light, his eyes landed on a figure near the edge of the roof. Sighing, he closed the door and walked closer.

“Hey.” He sat down next to her.

She kept her eyes forward; blank and showing no emotion whatsoever. She was good at that.

"Listen, I know you're mad at us--"

She cut him off. "I'm not mad at you."

He stared at her, confused. She saw the look on his face and her facade crumbled. "I'm mad at myself."

Okay, now he was definitely confused but he let her continue. 

"I'm mad at myself because I don't have the right to be pissed." her voice hardened. "I should have expected this since he always gives us false hopes. But at the same time, we can't do anything about it since he's the CEO and whatever he says is followed." She pulled her knees up to her chest and placed her chin on top of them. "I'm mad because I keep thinking that I did something wrong." she whisped the last part. 

Hanbin looked at her in anger. Anger at her attitude and way of thinking. "You did not do anything wrong, you hear me? You did great during your stage with GDragon sunbae. Sure your voice shook but it was your first performance. Remember when Hayi's voice quivered during last Year's MAMA Awards?" she nodded. "Everyone gets nervous. Everyone makes mistakes so you did nothing wrong alright?"

 

She smiled up at him as the silence enveloped them. 

"I've never seen you this passionate about something ever since my bullying rumor circulated." she said softly. 

 

 

 

It was a good day so far for the trainees of YG entertainment when YG himself made an appearance. 
 
"Jennie Kim, I would like to have a word with you." he said sternly, face serious. The trainees were all in one room just hanging out when he entered. Nervously, a girl with long black hair with blond undertones stood up and followed him outside. The trainees looked at each other in confusion. Some feeling fear, while some were feeling nervousness.
 
Outside the practice rooms, YG led Jennie to a secluded room and sat down. He gestured for her to sit down in front of him and she did as he asked. 
 
Pulling out an iPad, he opened a website and made Jennie read the article.
 
The title caught her eye.
 
"YG Trainee, Jennie Kim, a bully?"
 
opened in shock. "S-sajangnim, what is the meaning of this?"
 
"A few days ago, an anonymous person took a picture from a yearbook with you as a student  in it and said that you were a big bully back in the day. Columnists and news reporters all caught wind of the statement and are speculating whether what he/she said was true or not."
 
"But it's not!" she protested. "I have never bullied anyone nor have I ever hurt a student!"
 
"Well I'm glad that you didn't. But this news has already spread to different websites and netizens are not so lenient and nice with what they are saying." 
 
Jennie scrolled down the articles and what she saw almost made her cry. 
 
"Wow, what a ."
 
"She hasn't even debuted yet and she already has a scandal? What has YG been training?"
 
"Serves her right. She's not even talented so hopefully YG kicks her out because of this."
 
"No talent and a bully? Wow. Talk about YG lowering his standards."
 
"Did you see her training videos? God that girl CANNOT sing or rap to save her life. And she's a bully too smh."
 
Her hands shook as she read the comments. She should really stop but once you start reading them, you can't help but continue reading the comments.
 
She breathed heavily as she choked back her tears. Finally having enough, she gave YG the iPad back and sniffled. 
 
"We showed you this not because we want to hurt you Jennie, but to help you. We wanted to know the truth before we release a statement about it."
 
Swallowing back her sobs, she turned to the CEO with an intense gaze. "No. Just let them think of what they want. Once I debut, I will show them that you did not have a mistake in taking me in as a trainee." YG smiled at her. "Are you sure about this?" She nodded. "Very well then. I will respect your wishes."
 
And with that, the two went on their separate ways. Once she was sure that YG has left the building, the tears started streaming down her face and she ran to the only place she knew she was safe to let her emotions out: The rooftop.
 
 

 

 

Unknown to YG and Jennie, a boy of of the same age as her had followed them to the door. Seeing the boy follow them to a room, the other trainees also followed suit to find out about what happened. Having grown close with each other, the trainees have shared a special bond just like their Bigbang and 2NE1 sunbaes.
 
Hearing about the article, the trainees looked at each other in shock. Jennie? A bully? 
 
When both YG and Jennie made a move to leave, the trainees all scrambled back to the practice room except for one. He hid behind a large plant and watched the two leave separately. Deciding to follow the girl, the boy trailed after her as she ra up the stairs and burst through the rooftop doors.
 
Should I follow her or not?
 
Well, I got to this part already. Might as well follow her all the way.
 
Taking a deep breath, Hanbin opened the doors slowly and stepped out. Seeing one of their strongest trainees almost broke Hanbin's heart. She shouldn't be crying. 
 
Deciding to face the wrath of Jennie Kim, he sat down next to her and laid a comforting hand on hand on her shoulder.
 
Feeling a weight on her shoulder, she lifted her face from her knees and looked into Kim Hanbin's eyes. 
 
"We're here for you." was all he said to her. Hearing those words, Jennie couldn't help but tell him the whole thing. He sat next to her and comforted her as she relayed what she found out. 
 
That was the first time he became her Rooftop Prince.
 
 
 
 
 
"I still never understood why you would go to the roof to air out your emotions." Hanbin said to her. "I mean, I know no one's up here but you can always tell your members about what you feel. They'll understand."
 
She bit her lips. They were now standing side by side with their arms against the handrails of the roof whil looking at the skyline and th city lights. 
 
"You're the leader, right Hanbin?" he nodded. "Then you get what I mean when I say that I don't want to burden the members." 
 
He looked at her as she gazed forward. "There isn't an official leaders yet for our group but the members all look up to me like I'm one." she sighed. "They could have picked the older members to look up to since it would make more sense. But for some reason, they come to me whenever they want to ask things that only a leader would be able to answer."
 
"I know why." he said to her softly. "It's because your members believe in you. Cliche, I know but it's true. You have charisma. You have more experience, so to speak. Remember what I said about your collaborations with the sunbaes?" he smiled.
 
"But I still don't get why I was the one they chose." she mumbled but B.I heard it.
 
"Did you know that YG chose Minho-hyung as the other team's leader?" she looked at him in surprise. "Yeah. He chose him because he knows that he has a lot of talent. Minho-hyung can rap, can sing, can dance, and is charismatic." 
 
"You're all of those too you know." she said to him and his cheeks turned pink at the compliment. 
 
"My point is," he said, still flustered at the compliment, "that YG doesn't pick leads based on age. He chooses leaders who he knows can lead the group properly and has the charisma to do it. Can you imagine Dara-sunbae, Bom-sunbae, or TOP-sunbae to be the leaders?" he snickered.
 
Jennie snorted at the image. "I see what you mean." turning to him, she placed her hand on top of his. "Thanks for cheering me up, Hanbin." 
 
"No problem Jen. Just remember what I said alright?" she nodded. 
 
"I'll be going ahead now. My members must be worried." Giving him one more smile, she waved goodbye and left the roof.
 
As he was left all alone at the rooftop, he gazed at the city lights lighting up the sky. 
 
I hope that said how much you mean to me Jen.
 

 

A/N: what did I just write orz. Well, hope you guys like this little oneshot. :) I just typed this since I was having some JenBin feels all of a sudden then add to the fact that my baby B.I and his team lost D: 

regarding the last line at the end, you guys can interpret it however you like. All I'm gonna say is, they aren't together in this story. ;)

than for reading! I actually just did this on my iPad since my laptop got broken and my mom is using hers so sorry if the quality isn't good. ;) 

I'm actually thinking of writing more of these if JenBin becomes popular. :>