Final.

Defy

And righteous love is the only way to eradicate the evil that once plagued humankind.

Jongin stared at the words on his computer screen for a moment longer than necessary before scoffing softly under his breath. It was always the same few lines of words. Sure, they weren’t phrased exactly alike but the whole ideology behind it was always the same.

He found it almost hilarious that everyone seemed to simply agree with all that the Leaders put across – adhering to the social hierarchy, going about their lives and jobs so religiously, and mindlessly taking in the supposed divine rules of their society.

 It wasn’t that he was dissatisfied. In fact it was quite the opposite. Jongin was more than contented with his place in the second tier – the Professionals – as well as with his job as the assistant editor in the only publishing house. Perhaps it was his inability to understand how those in the lower tiers could accept their fate so simply that left Jongin puzzled and a little doubtful, but there wasn’t anything he could do about it. After all, he was a mere Professional and even with all the doubt plaguing his thoughts, Jongin knew better than to defy the rules.

Fixing his eyes back on the screen, Jongin stared at the pool of words that would soon be sent for printing and subsequently, distribution to everyone (or at least, to those who were literate). With a sigh, Jongin allowed his head to sink into the headrest of his chair, reaching to pick up his mug of coffee.

“What’s the matter?”

Jongin paused, the mug at his lips as the voice drifted over. Taemin was always concerned over the slightest things and making sure that Jongin was perfectly fine with working under him. Their relationship was rare, considering how the two of them were more like close friends than boss and assistant.  Despite having started the job less than a year ago at eighteen, Jongin had quickly grown close to Taemin, who was a year older. It made working on the job a lot less tense unlike in most other departments that Jongin had heard about, where everyone tiptoed around and held their breath in fear of upsetting their department heads.

Smiling slightly at the thought, Jongin turned to meet Taemin’s eyes. “Nothing’s the matter.” Seeing the unconvinced look in Taemin’s eyes, he continued, “I’m about done looking through this section. It’s good for the printing room.”

Taemin held his gaze a little longer before nodding once. “Send it over then.”

Jongin shot him a quick reassuring smile before turning back to his computer. Lifting the mug to his lips again, Jongin took a sip and then another, grimacing a little as the bitter taste of black coffee filled his senses.

 Righteous love.

For some reason, the idea didn’t seem to sit very well in his mind today. But it was right, wasn’t it? The Leaders were the best thinkers after all, they would know best.

Maybe his tired mind was messing with him. Nodding to himself, Jongin dismissed the unsettling thoughts, sending the document over to Taemin with a single click.

He glanced at the wall clock, noting that there was still three hours until the end of the work day. He’d have to rely on coffee to clear his mind again. Scrunching up his nose, Jongin drank a mouthful of the dark substance.

Somehow, the coffee tasted bitterer than it had ever been.

 

 

Jongin had just submitted the last section for printing, draining the last of his now cold coffee in a single gulp.  

“It’s six.”

Jongin turned to find Taemin already beginning to tidy up his desk, putting away stationery and arranging loose sheets of papers. Quickly, almost methodically, he followed suit. It was the same routine everyday – nine to one, an hour’s lunch break, two to six, and then dinner with Taemin.

“Coming?”

Snapping out of his thoughts, Jongin grabbed his things, shrugging on his jacket as he hurried to the door where Taemin was waiting.

 

 

“So are you excited about the recent rule change?”

Confused, Jongin met Taemin’s gaze, waiting for an explanation. They were in the staff cafeteria as usual, amidst the slightly noisy dinner crowd.

“The one for assistants like you, Jongin.” There was a hint of excitement in Taemin’s eyes and something else. Mischief, perhaps? Jongin wasn’t sure.

Rule change. Biting his bottom lip, Jongin tried to recall whatever he had reviewed recently for printing. “I don’t–“

“The rule with Entertainers!” Taemin cut in, his voice giving away incredulity. “Don’t you know? You’re allowed to now too.”

Entertainers. He did know of that of course, although he’d very much prefer life without this supposed privilege. He wasn’t used to it; no, the very thought of it set a wave of discomfort through him. The Leaders claimed that such servicing by the Entertainers was a privilege to those who work hard and earned their positions within their tier. Those with the privilege could call for a selected Entertainer any time after work hours. There weren’t any rules to it except one single unspoken rule: Professionals cannot ever gain any sort of romantic attachment to the Entertainers. They were in different societal tiers, and love was forbidden. And it wasn’t just that. Because their society was built on the single ideology of Righteous Love, where each person was bound to their soul mate since birth and their other half was the only one that they should love this way.

A tap on his arm shook him out of his thoughts, as Jongin focused on the now concerned stare that Taemin was giving him.

Remembering that he was supposed to give some sort of a reply, Jongin searched his mind, blurting the first thing that came to him. “But what about Krystal?”

Taemin was silent for a moment and Jongin felt increasingly hopeful. Maybe he’d won him over with that. After all, Taemin had Naeun too, bound by the invisible legendary red string that the Leaders claimed to have discovered and made use of to match all of them. Maybe with this, Taemin wouldn’t bug him any further on the matter–

A short laugh from Taemin sent Jongin’s gaze darting back to the other boy’s face. “Once in a while’s fine, Jongin. Krystal will be fine without you for an evening.” Before Jongin could get a word in, he continued, “How about tonight to celebrate your new privilege?”

Taemin’s wide eyes were expectant, his eagerness blatant. It was difficult really. Not liking the idea was urging him to disagree but Jongin had always been too painfully kind a person and disappointing his best friend was one thing that he would hate himself for.

There wasn’t much of a choice.

Reluctantly, Jongin nodded. A wide smile graced Taemin’s lips and he immediately slipped his phone out of his pocket. Bringing up the search engine, he began scrolling the through the list of Entertainers, all the while talking to Jongin.

“So I can always get Naeun to accompany Krystal for some girl-time this evening. That’d ease your mind, I suppose? And then we can get the Entertainer to come over to our office room and if you want your own I can always book another one and we can have some fun this evening since there isn’t work tomorrow. Ah I found one!”

Turning to Jongin, Taemin grinned. “He’s really cute. I’ll bet you’ll like this one.”

Numbly, Jongin nodded, shooting Taemin a weak smile in return.

I bet I’ll want out very soon.

And Jongin wouldn’t realise until much later how right they both were.

 

 

It was exactly a quarter past eight when the two of them re-entered their spacious office room, stomachs full from dinner.

The first thing Jongin noticed was that the lights were on, though he was pretty sure he switched it off when he stepped out two hours earlier. Frowning slightly, he followed Taemin into the office room, nearly bumping into the latter’s back as he stopped suddenly.

Taking a step to the side, Jongin was just about to chide Taemin about it when another voice filled the droning silence of the room.

“Good evening.”

The voice was smooth and quiet, one that Jongin had never heard prior. Definitely not Taemin’s, but who else would be here? His eyes scanned the room almost instinctively, registering the figure that stood before the coffee table. Dressed in a simple collared shirt and dark pants, the boy was bent over in a deep bow that hid his face from view. His hands were clasped tightly in front of him as he did so, and Jongin noticed his knuckles turning white from the action.

This had to be the Entertainer Taemin mentioned.

As if on cue, Taemin took a few steps to the boy, patting him twice on the shoulder. “Relax,” he smiled as the boy hesitantly straightened up, his gaze still downcast. “We’ll have fun tonight, hm? I’m Taemin, and that’s Jongin.”

Slowly, the boy glanced up at Taemin, before shifting his gaze to meet Jongin’s.

The first thing Jongin noticed was his wide-eyed gaze that seemed to hold an innocence Jongin had never come across. Subconsciously, Jongin registered the boy’s gaunt features, the slight bruise on the boy’s jawline, the way his clothes were a little overwhelming for his thin frame. Who would have the heart to mistreat him like that?

 A hint of anger brewed in the pit of his stomach at the sight of it, catching him by surprise. Jongin mentally slapped himself. Why did he care for a lower-tiered boy? Entertainers were the third lowest in the hierarchy and Jongin was a step away from the top. No, he was just confused. Maybe it was the glass of alcohol he’d downed earlier that was messing with his mind. Maybe he was just intrigued seeing an Entertainer for the first time. Maybe, just maybe.

But no matter how hard Jongin tried to convince himself, he couldn’t shake off the strange sense of connection, like finding familiarity and understanding in a complete stranger; he couldn’t ignore the weird nagging feeling in his heart.

His gaze was trained on Jongin’s when he parted his lips a second time.

“My name is Kyungsoo.”

 

 

They were into their fifth drink as Kyungsoo sang the last word of a song. He had a really great voice, Jongin decided, as he swirled the pale liquid in his glass.

Taemin was beginning to get a little out of hand by now. Taemin had never been one with a high tolerance for alcohol, always keeping to a minimal amount that he could handle. Jongin had once asked him what would happen if he continued but the look on Taemin’s face had shut him up and Jongin never brought it up since.

“K-kyungsoo…”

“Yes, Taemin-ssi?”

Taemin reached out, grabbing Kyungsoo by the wrist. Jongin frowned at the sight of Kyungsoo wincing a little at the tight grip. A loud burst of laughter escaped from Taemin’s lips, startling Jongin.

“You’re-e s-ooo…” He laughed again, throwing his head back. The fear had returned to Kyungsoo’s eyes as he attempted to take a step away from Taemin. “C’m-ere–“ With a hard tug, Kyungsoo lost his balance, falling against Taemin on the couch.

“I’m sorry–“ Struggling against Taemin’s grip that was now around his waist, Kyungsoo tried to stand, only to be pulled back down. Taemin’s left hand moved to Kyungsoo’s chin, his finger’s running over the latter’s trembling lips. Jongin stared stunned as he watched his best friend snake his right hand under the boy’s loose shirt. Leaning in, Taemin rested his hand at the nape of Kyungsoo’s neck, his lips finding its way to the latter’s. By then, Kyungsoo had stopped struggling against Taemin, his poise nearly resigned if not for the frantic look in his eyes.  

The fear; the panic; the pain. In an instant, Jongin was jolted out of his shock. Moving over,  Jongin allowed his emotions to think for him.

It wasn’t until he had Kyungsoo safely out of the office room and finally out of the office building itself that the boy protested softly. “Jongin-ssi, please stop.”

Jongin ignored his request, the rage fueling him forward.

“Jongin-ssi, my arm hurts. Please let go.”

Stopping in his tracks, Jonging spun around to stare down at Kyungsoo. “Why the hell did you let him do that?”

Kyungsoo shrank back a little at his harsh tone and Jongin immediately regretted shouting. Releasing his grip on Kyungsoo’s arm, Jongin spun him around by the shoulders. Kyungsoo refused to meet his gaze.

Just as Jongin was about to speak, Kyungsoo started, “It’s always like that anyway.” He paused for a moment before continuing, “They get drunk and they use me for that. It isn’t wrong after all; it isn’t against the rules. I should expect it since I’m just an Entertainer.”

“And you’re going to just let it be?”

Kyungsoo rubbed his arm, nodding once. “I can’t do anything about it, can I?”

“I won’t let them hurt you.” The words tumbled out before Jongin could stop himself.

Surprised, Kyungsoo lifted his gaze to meet Jongin’s.

Biting his lip, Jongin chided himself silently. What was he doing? He had Krystal and Kyungsoo was just a lowly Entertainer. If anything, he shouldn’t be feeling this way.

It was wrong. Plain wrong.

But then again, since when had anything been not?

The society was ruled by a group of Leaders who indoctrinate their people with their beliefs and rules to benefit themselves. The people blindly follow, believing that they love the one person they were divinely matched with when truly, they weren’t allowed anything else. Time moved, but people were stuck treading at the same spot, living the same routine, as meaningless as it is.

Gazing at Kyungsoo, Jongin felt a strange sense of calm. He had the ability, he had the brains, and with that, things could change.

He could change it.

Taking a step closer to Kyungsoo, Jongin fixed his gaze on the other’s wide one. “Giving up won’t solve things, you know. I know that this is your life, and I guess it’s not my place to tell you how to live it.” Pausing to take a short breath, Jongin smiled. “But just wait, wait for me. I’ll change things. And even if you give in to everything, I’ll make sure that they won’t hurt you.

“Ever.” 

 


Like I've mentioned, it's loosely based on prompts, e.g. it's only slight angst here. :)

A rushed out writing despite having pondered over this for pretty long. It didn't come out the best but it'll have to do. Hope you've enjoyed!