With my eyes wide shut

Henry - Sleepwalker
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"I saw a picture of you hanging in an empty hallway.
I heard a voice that I knew and I couldn't walk away."
 


Henry looked at the picture of his ex-girlfriend with sad eyes, the pain still fresh in his heart. He then looked around his apartment, at the neatly packed boxes of memories he shared with her. He got up from the chair and walked over to a box of her things, a box of things she had forgotten to take with her. Henry opened it and a wave of sadness went through him as a framed picture of him and her smiled back at him.


Why did it end this way? Why did you leave me? thought Henry with teary eyes as he gingerly picked up the picture. His ex had just left him without warning one day, no message, no phone call... nothing.


Henry then felt anger go through him and he smashed the framed picture onto the floor, making the glass shatter and scatter all over the floor. He then sank to the floor with his head in his hands and started sobbing. Despite the way she had left, Henry still loved her and thinks himself foolish for holding onto her memory and holding on to the fact that she will someday come back.


A knock on his door, made Henry look up with red eyes as tears rolled down his face. He quickly dried his eyes and got up to answer the door.


"Are you okay, Henry?" you asked with a worried look, you live in the apartment next to his.


"Y-Yeah, I accidentally dropped something," he replied while looking down, you furrowed your brows as you tried to look at his eyes.


"Were you crying?" you asked in concern. Henry shook his head with a sniff and let out a shaky breath.


"What's wrong, Henry?" you asked in a gentle tone.


"Nothing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish cleaning," said Henry in a flat tone and he closed the door, making you bite your bottom lip uncertainly.


You've known Henry for a while now and can tell when he's upset and he definitely looked upset just now.


I wonder if it's because of his girlfriend you thought as you went back into your appartment. You had met her and thought that she and Henry made a cute couple, they never argued and always got along pretty well.


But one day, you saw her leaving the apartment with a suitcase and her bag while Henry was at work. When Henry came home that night, he thought she had just gone to a friend's house. But as the days went by, he knew she was gone for good but he didn't want to admit it to himself. You gave him his space and privacy for a few weeks, but then you started noticing that he looked pale and he had gotten thinner, so you grew concerned and started to check up on him.


He never said much and would mumble a "Thank you" when you would bring him food or cleaned his apartment. As his friend and neighbor, you were now determined to get Henry out of his depression.


I'll make sure he smiles again you thought with a nod.



"Outside the rain's pouring down, there's not a drop that hits me.
Scream at the sky, but no sound is leaving my lips."



What did I do wrong? We were happy, so what went wrong? Henry asked himself as he looked outside his bedroom window at the pouring rain. It was night time and he couldn't sleep, he hasn't been sleeping well since she left.


Henry would lie in bed with his eyes open and just stare at the ceiling until his eyes closed on their own. And when he would go into dream land, his dreams would bring her into his mind and he would wake up feeling shaken and haunted. He would sometimes walk around his apartment late at night like a zombie so he wouldn't have to see her face in his dreams.


At the same time, he wanted to see her one mo

Please log in to read the full chapter