Tugging On Heartstrings

Notes And Strings
The streets were crowded with people, rushing to board the bus or catch the subway trains. The stars had somehow vanished from the sky and the breeze that blew around was cold, indicating the rain’s soon arrival. People hustled around quickly to avoid being under any possible downpour, unaware of a young girl helplessly being pushed around the herd of people. She just stood there in the middle, accepting every push and every shove that came to her. Trails of tears rolled down her cheeks as inaudible sobs escaped her cold lips. The young girl –only in her school uniform consisting of a white shirt paired with a dark blue blazer and a short skirt which barely brushing against her knees- had her slender arms wrapped around her body and was shivering from the cold. She looked miserable but not even one person had spared one short glance at her or asked her if she would need an umbrella before it starts to rain. The poor girl just stood there until she felt the first drop of rain on the crown of her head.
 
Looking around for somewhere to shelter from the rain, Yunmi saw a café just around the corner and decided to make a run for it before the rain got any heavier. The sweet smell of cakes and coffee filled her nostrils as soon as the girl opened the door to the café. The atmosphere got warmer and the noisy crowd of people just disappeared from sight. The café wasn’t packed as usual, Yunmi thought and went around to find an available seat by the window. She had always come here ever since she first moved from China to  Korea due to her father’s work as the director of Jeguk Group, a well-known shopping mall in Korea. With her mother still living in China and busy father who couldn’t even spend half an hour at home, Chen Yunmi was enrolled to a local boarding school where the students lived at a close by apartment. And she had her apartment shared with three Korean girls who weren’t so friendly as she had expected the time she was assigned to share the room with them.
“Let me guess, chocolate bubble tea again?” A voice startled the girl, bringing her back to her senses once again.
 
Yunmi turned towards the figure standing just beside her table, paper and pen in hand, ready to take her order. A smile crept across her face when she met eyes with the familiar face. “Myungsoo,” she called out to her friend who gave a knowing smile along with a nod at the sound of his name mentioned. “You’re on night shift this time? No classes?”
Myungsoo shook his head but before he could answer her, he leaned forward and noticed how his friend’s eyes were puffy as if she had cried all day long. “Yah, Chen Yunmi… Have you been crying, again?” Immediately, he pulled out the chair opposite her and sat down to hear her out. And everything just poured out from Yunmi like a water fountain, retelling all from the beginning to the end. Myungsoo nodded from time to time and inserted a few small advises when necessary. And that’s why the girl enjoyed talking to him because he listens, very well she might add. He isn’t the type to ask you to tell him everything but zone out afterwards.
 
“I don’t know what to do anymore,” Yunmi planted her face into her hands and tried her best to held in all her bottled up tears. She didn’t like crying in front of anyone, especially Myungsoo. “I want to go back to China. To go back to Ma. To go back to little Yuxin…”
“Well, maybe you’re destined to be here. There’s always a reason, you know. Behind everything that’s happen,” Myungsoo reached out to pat the girl on her shoulder lightly. “Go wash your face. You look like a tomato already.” He pointed out the direction of the wash room and handed her the keys to his locker for a fresh face towel. Yunmi took them gratefully, sniffling a bit as her feet shuffled to the locker room.
 
Yunmi volunteered to help around the café as they were slightly short of hands. She served tables, took orders and helped with the cleaning in the kitchen. Myungsoo would casually throw her thumb ups as she worked around the place. “You look even more professional than Mr. Jang over there.” Myungsoo inclined his chin towards a sleeping figure by the counter. Yunmi only rolled her eyes before whacking her friend on the back of his head, warning him not to say bad things about his boss again. Suddenly, she halted in front of the wall clock and gasped.
“What’s wrong, buddy?” Myungsoo came up to her side, concern washing over his face.
“I’m going to be late!” Yunmi unknotted her apron string and tossed it lightly to Myungsoo. “He’ll be performing soon!” Before she left, she gave Myungsoo a hug and a small peck on his cheek. The boy only laughed and ruffled his friend’s hair, seeing her off at the café entrance.
 
This time, she was the one bumping into people and apologizing all the way. “2 minutes. Shortcut time.” Yunmi ran around the other direction and cut through a few blocks by passing through different routes. Just in time, she had her hands on her knees, panting hard and already breaking into sweats. White smoke puffed out of as she exhaled, her cold hands rubbed against each other to create warmth with friction as she patiently wait for the singer to settle into his seat. The singer –a boy just around her age with hair the color of coal which was cropped short and styled in a neat yet stylish manner- positioned his guitar comfortably on his lap, adjusting the strap on his shoulders. Yunmi let out a sigh of relief. He hasn’t started yet. Good. I didn’t miss anything. Slowly, the crowd around the boy got larger mainly consisting of the female population. The boy looked around the live audience and offered friendly smiles to the cameras around him before he bean strumming on his guitar.
 
The world just stopped, only the melodious voice of the handsome male could be heard. His voice was unique and nothing like Yunmi has ever heard of. She still felt this way after all this time listening to him sing every night. After getting chased out of her dorm by her heartless roommates, she would always find comfort at this exact spot where he builds up his little stage and sang to his heart’s content. According to people, he composes his own songs and then sings them either acoustic or other genres she can’t identify. But for Yunmi, she has a thing for his acoustic songs and even records him singing just to be able to replay them when she sleeps. Today, he prepared a new song for his fellow audience entitled ‘Stealer’. Yunmi couldn’t fully understand the lyrics but a slight tingling feeling could be felt when he sang in his dreamy voice. She felt her body swaying to the music and her eyelids closing, totally immersed into his singing that she didn’t realize when he finished his song.
 
When Yunmi’s eyes fluttered open, she only caught a glimpse of his back as he made his way out of the buzzing crowd. All the girls wanted either his autograph or his pictures, which he gladly complied to. His hands were loaded with gifts that his manager –probably- had to help with carry his instruments and bag. “Thank you there. Oh thank you too. Thank you everyone.” He bowed his head and walked off with Yunmi just staring away at his leaving figure.
“I didn’t even get to ask his name again.” She stomped her feet lightly in frustration.
 
After a whole load of chores she had done, Yunmi flopped onto her bed and stared up the ceiling. “This feeling is good without them around.” She whispered in joy. Her roommates have gone to some concert and left her to do the dorm chores but she just obeyed anyway. She did feel a bit left out because she wasn’t asked to tag along but she didn’t mind it now as her next-door dorm neighbor decided to drop by. A faint knock could be heard from her bedroom and Yunmi did not need a second to open it. A pair of arms flung themselves onto Yunmi which was accompanied by high-pitch squeals.
“Chen Yunmi! My lovely Yunmi.” Kang Jihae said in a singsong voice, not letting go of the poor suffocating girl. Yunmi wriggled out of her tight embrace and ruffled her best friend’s hair.
“I’m glad that someone is so excited upon seeing me. How was the exams?”
“Easy,” Jihae danced around the living room before settling into the bean bag, bouncing on it like a little kid. “I dozed off after completing the English essay since I had an hour more to spare. Now, no drinks for the guest?” Jihae blinked her innocent puppy eyes at Yunmi
“Yes sir!”
 
The two girls sat in the living room, watching the latest episode of ‘The Heirs’ when Jihae tugged on her friend’s arm. “Yah, did you get the cute guitarist’s name yesterday?” But Yunmi didn’t hear her as she had her eyes glued to the TV screen and on handsome Kim Woobin. Jiae had no choice but to grab the remote and offed the TV.
“Yah! What was that for?!” Yunmi yelled as she stretched her arm to have a grab for the remote. “My Woobin is…on…TV!” But Jiae had the remote raised above their heads, away from the other girl’s reach.
“Did you even hear me?” The question only earned a short headshake. Jiae sighed and flung the remote to a different direction before scooting closer to her friend. “I asked if you already know the mysterious heart stealer’s name.” Again, another headshake.
“Oh I give up. I guess you should work your own ways,” said Jiae in a more dramtic way as she threw her arms in the air and sashays to the kitchen, refilling her drink.
 
Yunmi ran after her friend. “Which part of your idea was logical? Stalking him to his house, kidnapping the poor guy, asking him to date me in those most pathetic way…” At each idea, a finger sprang out from Yunmi’s fist. Jiae giggled at all her so-called awesome ideas after everything was listed out by Yunmi. Casually, she slung an arm over the girl and pulled her back to the living room.
“You just need to be open minded. Tonight you go and ask his name, okay? I’ll deal with your bossy roommates,” Jiae patted her friend’s back softly. “Seriously, I don’t know how you handle those b-,” Yunmi lightly slap her on the cheek before she say something that would ruin her ‘fairy princess’ image.
 
Night fall came and spread darkness over the sky. The breeze was as chilling as last night’s so Yunmi had come out of her dorm dressed warmly. Her waist long hair tied in a loose ponytail with a pink ribbon, securing it from being tossled in the wind. She gave one last look at Jiae’s dorm window and saw her friend giving her a double thumbs up.
“I’ll handle them. You go on,” she mouthed and did a shooing gesture.
Yunmi’s lips curled into a grateful smile as she walked on the sidewalks, heading straight for her usual healing spot. His street performance. The street wasn’t so busy like last night so she could take her own sweet time preparing her little introduction speech to the singer that won her heart. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. That was all she thought as her light footsteps pattered against the pavement.
 
Seungyoon bought himself some time by adjusting his guitar strap and did some fan service to the crowd, waving at cameras and accepting gifts from the wonderful fans. His wondering eyes scanned the crowd for that one face. The face he always looked for. The girl who always had her eyes shut when he sang. Mysterious girl, that’s what he called her. She still didn’t show up after a whole solid 10 minutes. Taehyun, his friend and manager, came to his side and whispered, “What are you waiting for, Kang Seungyoon? They’re all waiting.” The eyes that were once searched for one girl now looked around at the crowd. Yes, they were waiting. For him. But it’s not like her to be absent during my performance. Oh well… He strummed the first few notes and paused, looking around the audience. Still no her. A sigh escaped from him as she went back to his performance.
 
The audience subsided as soon as the performance came to an end. Thought some sweet fans stayed back for a moment to deliver their gifts and asked for autographs or pictures. After the whole fan service segment was over, Seungyoon went back to help Taehyun pack up. Taehyun, without sparing his buddy a single look, asked him as he picked up the amplifiers, “Who were you looking for anyway in the crowd?”
“Just…nobody.”
“Wow, that nobody is really a somebody to be able to get you delay your performance,” Taehyun scoffed. Seungyoon could sense the light sarcasm in his friend’s words because he immediately dropped the boxes he once held and pulled Taehyun by the arm, seating him down with him on the small stage they had set up.
 
“The nobody I meant, is a girl,” Seungyoon began. Taehyun let out a low whistle but before he could proceed with his question the other male had bet him to it. “And yes, she is very pretty.”
Taehyun laughed and winked at Seungyoon. “You read my mind, buddy. You do. What’s Future-Mrs.-Kang’s name?” But he only got silence as an answer, making his eyes widen and mouth agape.
“You never asked her name?”
Seungyoon shook his head to that question and added, “Nor have I ever talked to her.” And it was Taehyun’s turn to shake his head, chuckling his tongue at his miserable friend.
 
“Well, you ought to talk to her someday right?” He hooked an arm around Seungyoon’s neck and pulled him up to his feet. “Now, we better start packing before it gets any colder.”
Seungyoon obeyed his manager slash friend and went back to his packing duties. As he packed, he can’t seem to ignore the disappointment he felt in his heart. Soon, they were all set and ready to go home. Back at the dorm they all shared, Seungyoon’s friends had ordered food for all of them but Seungyoon wasn’t hungry so he decided to go for a walk. The guys were puzzled by their friend’s sudden change in behavior which Taehyun gladly spilled out whatever he knew.
 
Seungyoon had his guitar bag slung over his left shoulder, making way for the playground just somewhere around his dorm. During the day, the playground would be filled with children’s laughter. At night, it’s a whole different story. The playground would be quiet and peaceful, just to the young boy’s liking. He glanced around the location cautiously, in case someone was around and he wasn’t aware of. No one… Perfect. He made himself comfortable on the bottom of the medium slide and set his guitar bag down in front of him. Carefully, he the bag and brought out his favorite acoustic guitar. The body was in a creamy wood color with the printed words Seungyoon located somewhere near the edge of the guitar’s body. He cradled the guitar as if it were a baby before setting it to a strumming position.
 
Seungyoon closed his eyes for a bit, enjoying how the cool night breeze blew onto his face. His fingers plucked on his guitar strings. The sweet sound of his voice echoed through the park shortly after that. As he strummed to the song, Seungyoon couldn’t stop himself from thinking of the girl. Unconsciously, he started worrying about her. Could she have fallen sick from the cold yesterday? She wasn’t wearing much I remember. Or… Worst case scenario, she might have met an accident or something on the way?! The boy jumped to his feet and was about to run out and look for her when he flopped back down on the slide and sighed.
“Who am I to her anyway? I’m just a…stranger.”
“A pretty cute one, I might add.” Seungyoon’s head snapped around to the direction of the voice –just above the slide which meant he had his back towards the person all this while- and gaped.
 
Yunmi always knew where the handsome singer would go after his street performance. It was a little stalker-ish but thanks to her little someone who’s name rhymes with Byuntae, she knew exactly the location of his dormitory and anywhere he would go at certain times. Right now, it was the time where the pretty boy would be at the playground near his dorm. She walked along the sidewalks, pulling onto her varsity jacket to cover up herself from the cold and passed warm, cozy restaurants on her right. Should I buy something for us later? In case I am able to catch him there in the playground. Yunmi tapped her chin, looking up at the sky for a moment as she debated in her head whether to buy something or not to buy.
“If it isn’t Chen Yunmi,” a voice caught her ears from her side. She threw a glance over to her left and saw Myungsoo in full waiter attire leaning against the wall, a loop sided grin on his flawless face as her eyed her. With a smile, Yunmi went over to him.
 
They went into Myungsoo’s workplace, the usual café she went and told the other male about her plan. Myungsoo nodded and excused himself to the kitchen in mid conversation. Soon after, he returned with a box and two drinks on a brown tray. Yunmi blinked at them when he handed all those in a takeaway bag to her. “What is this for?” Myungsoo took her chilled hand and slung the bag string over it.
“What’s a date without food right?” He casually threw a wink to the girl, making her burst into fits of giggles. Yunmi paused and he could actually see the twinkle in her eyes before she surprisingly wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling her into a tight hug.
“Thank you. So much,” She whispered into his chest and looked up into his eyes, adding on. “Ever since I first moved here from China, you’ve been nothing but sweet and kind to me.”
 
Myungsoo tried to look anywhere but her face, hiding the faint pink shade that appeared on his cheeks. He awkwardly patted her head, telling her to let go and that it’s embarrassing him since all the customers’ eyes were on the two. Yunmi reluctantly let go but still kept smiling at him. Myungsoo turned her small body towards the clock and pointed at it. “Tick tock tick tock, don’t want to be late.” Yunmi gasped, and with the bag in her hand, she bowed and said goodbye to her friend. Myungsoo had seen her off, the excited girl waving at him before running off to Mr. Handsome Singer.
“He must be something to have her go head over heels for him. To the point where she doesn’t even notice me. Other than only acknowledging me as a friend, nothing more.” Myungsoo found himself whispering to himself those words. He was pretty lost with his feelings when something came flying from inside the café and hit him on the head. He winced and was so close to cursing at whichever bastard who threw the cloth on him when he met eyes with his manager. Immediately, he bowed in apology and ran back into the café to complete his duties.
 
Yunmi approached the park and saw the boy sitting at the bottom of the slide, strumming on his guitar. As silent as possibly, she tiptoed around the back and went up the little children’s castle. The boy was so immersed in his singing that he couldn’t hear the girl creeping up on him, finally settling just behind him at the top of the slide. He was playing her favorite song, Stealer. The way he strummed on his guitar, the way he sang. In some way, he healed her. He healed her troubled mind and her troubled heart. Yunmi could thank the heavens for sending down such an angel like him. She sat cross-legged and set down the bag of food by her side, trying her best to control her breathing and steadied her heart beat since she thought it could jump out of her rib cage anytime soon. She got startled when the boy stopped and jumped on his feet but sat back down again. Yunmi’s eyes were glued to his back, wondering if this guy had any issues regarding his insanity when he muttered, “Who am I to her anyway? I’m just a…stranger.”
 
Before she could contain herself, she blurted out the line she never knew she would say. “A pretty cute one, I might add.” And that was enough to make the singer snap around and stared with big round eyes at her. Yunmi bit on her tongue, mentally cursing herself for saying something so embarrassing and upon a first meeting. The boy just blinked his eyes at here.
“Y-you were here all this while?!” A hint of shock could be detected in his tone when he asked. A bit hesitant to answer, Yunmi nodded slowly. Her doe-like eyes didn’t waver from the boy in front of her. The person whom she called an angel was now staring right at her, not a whole crowd of people. Just her. She felt her breathing getting difficult and soon, she started making whizzing sounds.
 
The boy stared at Yunmi in horror, immediately jumping to his feet and climbed up the wrong way of the slide, approaching her. He placed an arm around her back to support her and pulled free his scarf that was around his neck. He then entwine the scarf around her neck and shook her lightly. “How could you come out in the cold like this with just a varsity jacket?” He blew into his palms and wrapped them around her cold hands. Please be alright. Come on. Yunmi could only stare at him. She wasn’t suffering from the cold, but from him. He thought she was having breathing difficulties because it was too cold. She had to do something. Carefully, she sat up straighter and smiled at the handsome stranger.
“I’m not cold. I was just too mesmerized by your charms that my breathing came out weirdly.” She had her eyes straight ahead into the playground to avoid his gaze, too embarrassed to look at him when she said those words.
 
To her surprise, the boy let out a laugh which somehow sounded like tinkling bells to Yunmi. She flickered her gaze for a millisecond to catch his face. He was charming indeed, even when he laughs. Chen Yunmi, you’re just too in love with this stranger. It’s like the boy heard her thoughts because he stopped laughing and gazed deeply into her brown eyes. His lips curved into a soft smile. He said, “You’re charming too, stranger. You’ve caught my attention ever since you first showed at my performance.”
Yunmi could hardly believe her ears. Me? Charming?! “What?” was all she manage to squeak out.
The boy then extended his right hand to her. “Let me formally introduce myself. My name is Seungyoon, Kang Seungyoon. I play the guitar and yes the ladies love my voice,” Yunmi laughed at that part. “And I think I would like to get to know you better, Miss Doe-Eyes.” Yunmi blinked when she heard him address her with the term ‘Miss Doe-Eyes’. Before she could ask, Seungyoon’s face came closer. Now she could trace his features easily with just raising her finger. “Why I call you that? Because your eyes remind me of those on a doe. Beautifully shaped and it’s in a lighter shade of brown. Please don’t close them when I sing next time. I want to stare at it because I want to see the exact twinkle I’m seeing in your eyes right now.”
 
Yunmi’s heart flutter like crazy when he utter those words. Did this guy drop from Candyland? Because he is so sweet. Without her realizing, her left hand rose from her side and had took Seungyoon’s right hand, giving it a light shake. “I’ll introduce myself now then. My name is Chen Yunmi and I’m from China. Your music is like the sounds from heaven and I wish to hear more in the future. Therefore, I want to risk my safety and get to know a stranger. You.”
Seungyoon tapped her nose lightly. “A cute stranger right?” He added with a slight teasing tone. Yunmi humored him with an assuring nod.
 
And that’s how the night went. Yunmi listening to Seungyoon play his guitar. Him serenading for her under the moonlight in the playground. Them enjoying the coffee and cookies packed in the box. Two strangers getting to know each other better. Heartstrings being tugged at, the romantic vibe that surrounded them. What could possibly happen? Fall in love, of course.
 

 

Okay, this is a fast paced story. What do you expect from a one-shot? Oh please don't hate me. I know it isn't all good. [`begs for mercy ] 
Yunmi dear, I hope you like this!