Light & Darkness

The Darkness, and its Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

October 12th, 2008

Today would be the first time for me to sit on the bench below that oak tree in school area, while writing a letter. I expected you to be here and wrote the novel you are currently working on, but you didn’t come. I wanted to talk to you, but you refused to listen. That’s why I decided to write this lame letter to you, because you’re leaving soon.

It wouldn’t be my first time saying this, because you have rejected me twice. But I’m not giving up. No matter how far you will get, I will be right here waiting for you to come back to me. One day you will realize that I am the one that you need and always be there for you. I will study and work harder so I can be the guy you have always dreamed of.

I love you Sooyeon Noona.

 

Kim Joon Myun

 

 “…I love you Jessica Noona, Kim Joonmyun,” she read the last sentence loudly. Her mind went blank before she finally scoffed. “Dae~~~bak! This lame puppet actually loved my sister?!” Before another word could escape from the red haired girl’s mouth, a hand suddenly snatched the pastel blue colored letter and tore them into pieces.

The red haired girl startled.

A pair of eyes glared back at her. Those eyes pierced to her soul, making her feeling even guiltier for reading something that she shouldn’t have read. But hey, curiosity kills! It wasn’t her fault. The guy was the one who made it obvious by leaving that letter on the bed. “Are you happy?”

Satisfied would be the best word to describe her feeling now. She smirked. “If you loved my sister, then why did you agree with this arranged marriage thingy? You should’ve against it.”

The porcelain skinned guy didn’t answer to that question. He was exhausted. All he wanted to do was sleeping. He never knew that a wedding ceremony and reception could be this tiring. He went to the bed and covered his body with the thick blanket. “Sleep, Soojung.”

Soojung rolled her eyes. This guy really think that I want to sleep on the same bed with him? Seriously? “Yah! Didn’t you agree to sleep on the couch?”

“That was on our business trip, before the wedding. Now we are a married couple. There’s nothing wrong with sleeping on the same bed. It’s not like I will do anything to you. You’re just a kid.”

What? A-a kid? She widened her eyes. Soojung approached the bed, grabbed a pillow and then threw it at his back which was facing her. “Jerk. Do you think I don’t have any appeal, so I can’t seduce you? Do you think that I am still the same old little Soojung you always think? I have grown up to be a beautiful and y woman, FYI. I can totally turn you on.”

Joonmyun turned to face her after that. “Then should we really do it? That’s what you really want right?”

“HUH?” Soojung hit his arm really hard this time. “ERT!”

He winced in pain. “Then just sleep here. You were the one who provoked me.” Joonmyun went back to his sleeping position earlier.

She couldn’t do anything but letting out a long sigh. There was nothing she could do. She didn’t want to sleep on the couch because she had been living like a princess for her entire life, which meant that sleeping on the couch was totally a bad idea for her precious body. She couldn’t sleep in another hotel room as well because her dad owned the hotel. Her dad knew how much she opposed this arranged marriage. He had instructed all of his employees and staffs to watch the newlyweds closely, not letting them to sleep in separate room. She finally laid her body next to her husband. She was forced! At least she thought so.

As the night fell deeper, none of them could fall asleep. She was tired of playing with her phone already, Joonmyun was tired to bear with the awkwardness. He didn’t used to having someone else sleeping beside him, especially another girl. Well, Soojung was actually not just some other girl. They had known each other since forever. She was three years younger than him. They spent their childhood together, thinking that she was his real younger sister, vice versa. They never thought of getting married, at least for Soojung. Joonmyun already expected to be engaged with one of the Jung sisters—because his parents already told him since he was young, but he never expected that it would be Soojung. The ones who were being prepared by their parents were Joonmyun and Jung Sooyeon. They were the ones who supposed to get married today. Soojung was supposed to just be the bridesmaid or something.

Joonmyun and Sooyeon had spent their teenage life, knowing that they were engaged and would be getting married. Joonmyun was falling head over heels for Sooyeon. Sooyeon also loved being around Joonmyun, even though she knew she was older than him. She thought he was cute. Joonmyun could already imagine how his marriage life would be like with Sooyeon. However, he didn’t see this coming. He never expected that people actually grow up, not just in physical term but also psychologically. Sooyeon suddenly noticed the value of pursuing her own dream and becoming successful on her own. The plan had changed. She had changed. Everything had changed.

Later, Joonmyun also knew that Sooyeon had also learned new things: falling in love and the epitome of true love.

Damn, he was ed up when she decided to leave Seoul and went to London to study more about English Literature. She had always been so passionate about writing a novel. He waited… and waited. Stupidly waited for someone who at the end fell in love with another Korean living in London named Lee Donghae.

He was totally ed up.

In addition to that, he was already assigned to take over his father business to double up his stress. His father’s business wasn’t just an ordinary business. Their office was the biggest and highest tower in the city. So even though he really wanted to go straight to London to win Sooyeon back, he couldn’t. There was a bigger responsibility on his shoulders. He needed to bear with all of it alone.

So he was holding back.

The old Joonmyun was a caring, loving and warmhearted man, the new Joonmyun was someone who had cold shoulders for everybody.

Soojung noticed it. He had changed, but she wasn’t. She was still the same cheerful, spoiled but kind hearted Soojung. However Joonmyun hasn’t been acting the same towards her like before. He used to be a big brother to her, but this person next to her was a stranger. So, she couldn’t help but acting the same. Maybe keeping Joonmyun as her husband was a bad idea. She came up with the idea to annoy him so he would object this marriage, but she failed. She never expected Joonmyun to be his parents’ mini puppet, doing all the things they asked him too. She would stuck with this robot for her entire life at the end.

Soojung huffed at the thought. She didn’t feel like crying, because crying was totally not her thing. She wasn’t like her sister. She was actually stronger.

“Oppa, are you asleep?” Soojung whispered. She looked at his back. He didn’t flinch a bit, so she decided to turn to his side, facing his back. “So when you excused yourself to talk to Jessica Unnie, she gave you that letter back? Poor you, Oppa.”

“You’re so stupid. You should’ve told me that you like my sister. You know how insensitive I am. How would I realize that you actually like her? Do you think I’m a psychic?!” She continued. “I could’ve at least helped you to chase…”  She stopped, didn’t even continue her last word. Her own sentences created a pang in her heart. She didn’t know the reason. She clenched her hands at the blanket before finally burying her head with it. Soojung suddenly hated everything. Everything and complicated. Complicated things should be burned in hell, she thought. Suddenly she felt uneasy with all of this. She used to live an easy life. Hakuna Matata.

However after today, she couldn’t.

“Even if I told you, you won’t be able to tell her not to fall in love with her current boyfriend.”

Soojung startled at his sudden answer. He actually hadn’t slept yet?

After awhile of silence, she decided to reply him. “Her boyfriend likes to hit her,” she answered then pouted.

He sighed then turned to another sleeping position to face her. He saw her burying her head behind the thick blanket. “You surely talk a lot, Jung Soojung. Can’t you just sleep?” It was obvious that he actually didn’t like talking about Sooyeon and her boyfriend.

“I can’t sleep.” She finally showed her face.

He saw her pouting. He always found this side of Soojung was really cute. He used to like spending time with her because not only he could bully little Soojung, he also liked singing for her and patting her head for her to go to sleep. He just liked it that way.

Joonmyun put his hand on top of her head and started to caress her hair. Gently, he patted her head, comforting her. He saw her started to blink her eyes slowly, and those pretty eyes slowly shut down. He smiled. “Although I had fun seeing you surprised the press, our parents and the other guests by your red hair in our wedding, I like seeing you in your brown hair better. You’re prettier that way.”

 

 

Joonmyun thought that maybe Soojung read or watched too many arranged marriage themed books or drama. However when she proposed a marriage terms and condition, he had no problem with accepting that. The only term and condition he proposed to Soojung was to keep her role as his wife publicly. As the current hottest and young rich man alive in Seoul city, and to keep his family name clear, she needed to ask Soojung to behave as well. It wasn’t like she was barbaric. She was raised in wealthy family as well. It was just she was a bit rebellious. Dying her hair red on her wedding day, for example. He also asked her to not mind his business and bug him when he was working. She was a little bit loud in person and a little bit too energetic. He was quite worried that she would distract him because he was naturally a quiet and serious person, especially when he was working. He was totally a workaholic.

In return, Soojung asked him to let her using his credit card to buy whatever she wanted—and he had no objection to that. The term that made him worried was her last wish. She asked him to let her date her long time boyfriend. Because of this marriage, Soojung had to sacrifice her relationship with her boyfriend. But—because according to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter