oo1

Because I Love You

 

[TRAIN STATION]

“Hey! SM?”

“Yes”

“I’m Suho… Kim Junmyeon to be exact”

“Kim Jongdae, but just call me Chen”

 

 

“Hello! SM?”

“Yeah”

“I’m Kai” he hand out his hand.

“Suho”

“Chen”

Both Suho and Chen offer Kai for a handshake. Kai blinks at the scene in front of him and chuckles. “Okay” he said and took both of their hand with both of his hand.

 

This was their first meeting. Even they didn’t know then that this small little acquaintance at the station, would lead to a lifetime of friendship.

 

After a quiet long ride from the town, they finally made it to SM – that stands for Star Museum. The institution, that only the selected one can enroll and be a part of their legend. Not to mention, it’s only for boy.

They immediately led to their room. They automatically became roommates as 3 students were using a room. Suho opened the door with Chen and Kai standing by his sides.

“The room is quiet big huh?” Kai said putting one of his hands on Suho’s shoulder.

Suho smiled. “It is indeed.” Chen added.

“Excuse me” Kai make his way through the door and threw himself on the single bed located on the right side of the room. “First come first serves guys! This bed is mine” Kai clicked his tongue to his two other roommates.

“Oh god! Is this a bed or a rock? I feel like I’m laying on a rock.”

Suho just smiles and made his way to the other bed. “I’ll take the upper bunks.”

“Okay” Chen said as he tossed his bag to the lower bunks.

They started unpacking their things when they heard a sound from outside. Kai was the first one to hear it. Suho opened the window and they found a figure standing by the lake.

“Who’s that?” Chen asked out of a curiosity.

Suho smiled proudly as he gave them an answer. “That is the principal of Star Museum. The one and only, Mr. Bae Yeongjun”

 

[GATHERING HALL]

“Want some?” Kai offered Suho - who’s standing at his left a chewing gum.

“No thanks” Suho smiles.

Kai moved to his right where Chen’s standing there fixing his necktie. He politely refused Kai’s offer, “I’m fine”

Kai shrugged and ate the gum. “Attention!” all 500 students in the hall straightened up their line and stand straight including all the professor of SM.

 

*Tup tup tup tup tup* that’s the most thrilling sound for the students who just enrolled in SM for the new semester. It is, Mr. Bae’s footsteps sound.

 

Mr. Bae stands in front all of 520 people in total. He observes them one by one. His looks were scary and as it can pierce through your soul. 

Kai swallowed his gum at the tall figure that is standing at the very front.

“Tradition, honor, and discipline; these are the three pillars of SM. With these values, we shape your future. Those who had been here have been set a very high standard, like you right now. Today, all of them are successful men in their own respective fields. Some are great writers, great businessmen and some great politicians. But all of them have only one thing in common, that is… all their lives, they have followed the principles that have been taught at them here, in SM. Today was your opportunity to be a part of this great lineage. You have been selected from all over the country, and brought here because we believe that you have what it takes to be a great man. But success doesn’t come so easily.  Behind every great success, lies a great sacrifice. By entering this institution today, you have shut yourself from the outside world. We expect that you will work with full concentration and follow the rules and regulations of this institution with strict discipline. If anyone is found is found guilty of misconduct, he’ll be expelled immediately. And remember one thing, once you’re expelled from here, all the doors to other institutions will also be shut for you, forever. So if there is anyone here who is not willing to make this sacrifice, then he’s free to walk out from that gate now.” He pointed to the entrance gate. Like expected, no one dare to move a feet from their position.

 

“But if you have decided to stay here, then that gate and the outside world do not exist for you anymore. Now close your eyes and think carefully on every single word I’ve said to you” with that he left the hall as all the students close their eyes.

With that, the same and always be; SM tradition is once again liven up.

Perform your pray before eating. Don’t make a single noise in the library. 10 o’clock in the night is the bedtime for all students.

 

 

Kai was humming to his favorite song as he walked out from the bathroom after refreshing himself up. He tossed his towel to his bed and wanted to make his way to his study desk when he felt stepping on something. He looked down and found a piece of an old photo; a photo of young Chen with a young girl who’s smiling beside him to be exact. He smirked at it. “Cool”

Chen who’s reading a book on his bed looked up. “Kai! That’s mine!”

“I can see that my friend, but who’s this cute girl with you huh?”

“Nobody, now give it back to me.”

“Chen has a girlfriend~”

“Stop it Kai-”

They can hear a sound of twist on the door knob. “!” Kai said and jumped onto his bed hiding the photo under his pillow. Meanwhile Chen swiftly sat on the chair beside his bed with book in his hand.

The door opened. “Man, it’s you. You scared us.” Suho who just got back from his night prep hung up his jacket in his wardrobe.

“Come here quickly. I’ve got something to tell you.” Kai got Suho’s interest as he sat besides Kai on the bed.

“What’s it?” Suho asked.

Kai revealed the photo of Chen and the mysterious girl to Suho. Chen was about to opened his mouth but he knew that he’d never win the stubborn Kai. “Who is this?” Suho looked at the both of them.

“This? Romeo and Juliet! Chen and… Chen and…?” Kai looked at Chen. Two pairs of eyes were now eyeing Chen with puzzled expression on their face.

“Namjoo!” Chen took the photo from Kai. “And it’s nothing like you think, okay?”

“She’s just a good friend of mine” he stared at the photo with a smile. “Actually… she was a friend”

“She was a friend?” Suho asked emphasizing the ‘was’ word.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” they looked at Chen.

“Namjoo was my childhood friend. We were best friends. We were neighbor and literally grew up together.” He paused when he looked at the photo once again.

“We had this photo taken at a funfair. It was her birthday that day. And the next day… she’s supposed to leave. Forever” his voice became softer.

“I’m sorry man. I didn’t know that she’s dead.” Kai spoke up.

“What? It’s not that kind of leave. It’s just her father got transferred to other place and that was the last time I saw her” Chen said – wanting to clearing the situation.

“That was six years ago and I’m just fourteen years old.” He smiled at them.

“But do you know where she is right now?” Suho asked him.

“I heard a few months ago that she could be in this very town” Chen placed the photo back in his wallet.

“Hey that’s great! Which means that you know where she lives?” Kai said excitedly.

Chen stood up and went by the window. “No, I don’t. And I don’t want to find out.”

“Why not?” Suho furrowed his eyebrows.

“Because it’s been a long time… and I don’t know if she will recognize me. Or whether, she’d like to meet me or not” he shrugged.

“So, we’ll meet if we are destined to. Otherwise we won’t.” Chen nodded at his own words.

Suho put his hand on Chen’s shoulder and told him what he thinks. “Hey Chen, you really love this girl”

“Oh no, it’s nothing of the sort. She’s just an old friend.” Chen stated.

“Shut up! Just an old friend my foot” Kai jumped of his bed.

“Tell me something, how many others old friend photo have you been carrying with you for the last six years?” Kai’s question made Chen turned red and earned a smirks from Suho.

*KRINGG*

“Look, that’s the bell of your love.” Kai .

Suho patted the two’s back. “Come on, it’s time to sleep”

And each of them settled themselves on their own bed. “Know what Suho! There’s a girls’ hostel behind our college?” Kai said.

“So what do I do?” Suho pulled the blanket up.

“No no, you don’t need to do anything. Just keep thinking and studying and let me do it” with the last words from Kai, they switched off the light and went to sleep.

 

 

*KRINGGG*

“! I woke up late again!” Kai said to himself as he ran for his life to the school.

“Where’s my sleeve?” wearing uniform while running isn’t easy as you think.

 But then, something he saw made him stop. He saw a person with brown leather jacket – covering the whole body is taking some of the fruit supplies for SM on the yard near the girls’ hostel’s gate.

Kai looked to his school’s building and back to that thieve, then back to his school but he decided to went after the thieve.

 

Kai didn’t know that this decision of his can change his whole life.

 

“Hey! Stop right there!” Kai shouts as he ran to him.

The ‘thieve’ tried to run away with all the fruits he’d been taking earlier but to his luck, Kai is faster and took him by the hand. Kai took off the jacket only to reveal a pretty girl with long black hair wearing a school uniform.

Both of them were panting hard. A smile crept upon Kai’s face as he’s been waver by the girl’s beauty. Never in his life, has he met with a pretty girl like her – his thoughts to himself.

 “Naeun hurry up! Miss Jung is coming!” Both of them turned to her friend’s voices.

“Let me go!” Naeun said but Kai refused to do so. On the other side, SM’s bell rang for the second time. Kai’s attention drifted to it and Naeun took that opportunity to let her go from his grips. She bit on his hand and ran away.

“Ouch!” Kai waves his hand up and down. He looked back and found the girl has run towards the gate and gave him a face. Kai smirked at it and looked to the jacket he was holding.

“Naeun… NAEUN!” Kai shouted as he ran for his class.

 

With that, the fallen leaves on the ground started to fly as the winds blows to it.

 

 

“We’re finish at last! Let’s return to the school… I’m terribly hungry” Xiumin complaints as they – Minseok, Chen and Kyungsoo had finished their task for the day. That day was their turn to run errands for SM’s food’s hall.

Kyungsoo looked throught the list and curse. “We still got to buy mineral waters”

“It was there in the shop back there” Chen said and gave him the stuffs he’s been carrying.

“You guys take these stuffs the jeep, I’ll go and get it” Chen make his way to buy the mineral waters.

“You’re always thining about food. You don’t know anything else don’t you” Kyungsoo scold Minseok.

As he walks to the shop, Chen pulled out the photo of his old friend from his pocket and stared at it like an idiot – smiling to himself. He walked past a cloths’ shop when he heard someone arguing about a dress and stops. He stopped himself not because they’re arguing, but because he heard a familiar voice.

He turned to his side and walked towards the girl and stand besides her. “Uncle, I want to pay you the exact price but why did you refuse?”

“Young lady, this dress’ price is already reduced. Why can’t you just pay according to the price?” the owner said.

“Uncle, you’re trying to make me look bad aren’t you? Just yesterday my friend come to this very place and bought a dress with the price that I want to pay right now” she fight again.

“Oh lord, could you help her to understand the situation?” The uncle turned to Chen who’s giggling silently at them all time. 

“I don’t want to know any more uncle~” She said and asked Chen to hold her stuffs for her while she’s getting money to pay for the dress.

 

We’ll meet if we’re destined for.

 

“Here’s the money! It’s up to you for taking it or not. I’ll take this dress no matter what” She handed him the money.

“Oh my god, you’re making me looks like I’m taking advantage at you” the owner face palmed himself.

She crossed her arms. “I’m not uncle! I’m just trying to pay you for the real price”

Chen thinks he better steps in as he knew that the owner will never win over this girl besides him. “Um… excuse me. The uncle is trying to say that right now he want to promote the dress so he gave them a discounts” he said to her while pointing to the discount’s sign right above her.

She looked at where he’s pointing and back to the owner. “Is it true?” she asked.

“That’s what I’m trying to say miss” he said.

“But you didn’t show me the sign” she shot back.

“You won’t listen to me” he shook off his head.

“Fine, I’ll pay according to the price” She handed him the money.

“Wait here, I’ll go and get the changes”

“Here you go, your dress and your changes” the uncle handed her the dress.

She took her stuff back from Chen, “Thank you” she thanked him and walked away from the shop but stopped and turned back around to look at Chen as she’s been realizing something. Chen saw it and pretended like he’s going to buy a dress as well. “The blue one…” he pointed to the blue dress and the owner went and to get it.

She slowly walked towards him and softly said his name. “Chen…? Chen as in Kim Jongdae…?” she warily asked.

Chen turned to her and smiled, “Namjoo”

“Ack!” she dropped her stuffs and hugged him tight. The photo Chen’s been holding fell onto the ground.

“It’s you! I can’t believe it Chen! What are you doing here?” Namjoo let go of him.

“Me? I’m a student at SM” Chen proudly shows her his SM’s uniform.

Namjoo grins, “Not bad Mr. Kim”

“Cool huh!” he added again.

“Which means you’ve been here for so long right? And didn’t even bother to call me” She hits him on the arm.

He rubbed the place she hits her, “I didn’t have your number”

“Stop making excuses! The truth is that you didn’t even think about me, so it did not bother you whether I was in this town or not” Namjoo crossed her arms.

Just then a little boy came and picked up the photo on the ground and was about to give it to Namjoo. Thank god Chen is a second faster. “What’s that?” she asked.

“Nothing, just a list of things I had to buy” he lied.

“Have you found everything?” she picked up her stuffs and stood up to look at him.

Chen looked to the photo and smiles softly, “Yes… I’ve found everything”

“Good! Because now I’m going to teach you a lesson” Namjoo grabbed his hand and walked out from the shop.

“Who do you think you are? Just because you’re a student of SM, you think you can act tough? Let’s go, we’re going to my home right away!” She nags at him.

“Appa will be happy to see you” She stopped and smiled at him.

“Namjoo, I cannot come now. I’ve got to return to SM.”

“Then promise me you’ll come on Sunday. A true promise”

“I promise”

 

The wind blows and makes the fallen  leaves fly once again.

 

 

Suho brushed his hands together as he fights the cold night breezes. He looks at the time and peeked through the front. Suho asked an old man who’s been working at the train station for years on when is the train from Busan will be arriving. He peeked at the railway, “It will be here in any minute son. Whose do you come to receive?”

Suho nodded and gave him a thankful smile. “A professer at my college” he answered and looks around. Something on the other side of the station caught his attention. It’s a girl who’s wearing a white dress with a bouquet of flower in her hand.

“Excuse me uncle, who’s that girl?” Suho said as his look is still fixed on the girl.

The old man followed his gaze and smiles, “Oh, that’s Chorong. She comes here quiet often”

“…Chorong” Suho repeated after him. He can’t take his eyes of her when the nigh breezes blows and made her long brownish hairs fell and almost covered half of her small face. He can felt his heart stops beating at that very moment.

 He’s been swayed away when the sound of the train cut him off and blocked his way.

A guy who’s in his mid-40 came off from the train with a huge luggage. He sees Suho and called him. “You’re from SM right?”

“Yes sir” Suho said and took his luggage. He walks off first followed by Suho at his back. Suho stopped to see the girl named Chorong once again. He saw that she’s turning around and walks away. Who knows that will be their first and last meetingor not…

“Shall we leave?” his professor shouts from afar.

“Yes sir” Suho ran after him.

 

The cold night breezes made the fallen leaves fly again – as expected.

 

 

The three Kim’s were on the rooftop that night. Each of them was thinking on the girl that has made their heart beats like crazy.

Kai was the first one to jump from the bench and stood up in front of Suho and Chen. “Okay guys, this is it! I have decided that the first thing in the morning I’m going to do tomorrow is walk out from the gate and went into the girls’ hostel and wherever that girl is, I’m going to find her and looked into her eyes and says – you’re beautiful. I’m going to do that” Kai smirked at his words and sat in front of Chen.

“Now tell me what you guys going to do? What say, Chen?” the truth is the three of them had been opened up to each other about what happened to them that day.

“For years, I’ve been just a friend of her. Now it’s time for me to take a step forward” he smirked at Kai. Kai smiled in satisfaction and both of them turned to Suho. “How about you man?”

Suho stares to the sky, “I’m going to think if her as the most beautiful dreams I’ve ever had and forget about her”

Both Kai’s and Chen’s shoulder fall. “What? Come on, don’t be such a sissy. Only cowards do that kind of thing” Kai said – wanting Suho to fight for her.

He woke up from where he’s been lying and took a step ahead. “You guys must have forgotten. But I still remember every words of Mr. Bae uttered – if you break the rules of SM, you’ll be expelled immediately”

“Oh come on Suho! Don’t be so scared! People usually go overboard during a speech. That doesn’t mean us to take it’s seriously” Kai stood up as well as Chen.

“Bae Yeongjun meant every word that came out from his mouth. He has done it in the past and he’ll do it again” Suho said and faced the two of them.

“What has he done in the past?” Chen asked then looked at Kai.

“It’s a famous story. There was this student here a few years ago, he was smart and everyone think that he’d be something in life. But he made the mistake of breaking a rule of SM – he fell in love. Bae Yeongjun expelled him without even seeing him or meeting him. And as everyone knows, once you got expelled from here, you can’t get admission elsewhere. Today, no one knows where he is or what has happened to him. As for the girl he loved, she committed suicide. She was Bae yeongjun’s one and only child” Suho’s story made Chen and Kai looked at each other.

“Everyone thought this incident would soften him. Instead, it’s just made him harder” Suho walked towards them.

He put his hand on Kai’s shoulder, “So I’m not a sissy or a coward” he put his hand down.

“But I’m not that strong to fight Bae Yeongjun… I’m not that strong” he smiled bitter ly and patted the two of them.

“Good night guys” he make his way to their room.

Chen took out the picture and sadly said, “I guess she’s destined to be just a friend of mine”

Kai looked at the jacket on the bench. “You’ll have to wait a little Naeun… till someone come and save us from Bae Yeongjun”

 

 

Bae Yeongjun looked at his wristwatch and it’s time for him to makes his round around the college. If he meet with the students along the hall way or where ever they are, they’ll greet him whether he’ll reply back or not. He’s really strict with all things that happen in SM. As he reached the garden, he heard a sound that’s never been heard in SM before. He furiously walks towards the sound as it came from the front and he found a man with playing a violin and a running away little girl.

“What’s happening here?” he said with a stern voice while both his hand clasp behind his back.

The man got up and spun around to face him. A smile earned from the guy. “Good morning sir! My name is Kim SooHyeon, I have an appointment with you sir”

“Don’t you know that there are students here who’re trying to concentrate on their works? Don’t you understand that you mustn’t make noise in a place like this?”

“I’m sorry sir, it’s just that the little girl saw the violin in my hand and insisted on hearing it. I just couldn’t break her heart”

“It is more important to not break any rules here. Follow me” Yeongjun spun around and walks to his office.

Soohyeon poked out his tongue “hooo~ strong~”

 

 

Yeongjun was reading Soohyeon’s resume. It was a complete silent except for the noise made by Soohyeon – tapping his fingers onto the violin’s case of him. He earned a stern look from Yeongjun. He realized the tense and slowly lifted his hand up and put the case on the desk. He looks around and spotted a globe. He was about to play with it when Yeongjun make his move.

“So you teach music”

“Yes sir”

“And you want to be given the opportunity to teach music in this college”

“Yes sir”

“Being fully aware of the tradition of SM?”

“Yes”

“Knowing for a fact that no form of music has ever been taught here… nor probably will it ever be?”

“Yes sir”

“I read here that you have already been offered jobs in other 3 colleges… and yet you came all the way here to seek job – why?”

“I was told that you’d never allowed me to teach music over here. They said it impossible. It seems like a challenge, and I like challenges”

Yeongjun stare him with the full with hatred like eyes before answering him. “And what makes you think you can make me change my mind?”

“From what I’ve heard about you sir… I think even you like challenges right sir?”

“How can your music help my students?”

Soohyeon smiled at him even though Yeongjun respond with the opposite. “Students remain buried in their books whole day sir. Music can rejuvenate them and make their learning process less stressful. Besides, they’ll end up learning music, which is a joy itself. Music is wonderful thing sir! Music-”

“What happens of you doesn’t find enough students who want to learn music?”

Soohyeon chuckles and pat his luggage “No problem sir, I’ll pack this small bag and leave.”

He looked at the man who’s now standing in front of him. “I’ll be gone”

“I like your self-confidence Mr. Kim”

“Thank you sir”

“I’ll give you one opportunity… if you do find enough students wishing to learn music in their spare time then you have the job. Otherwise, you will leave”

Soohyeon stood up to offer him a handshake and as expected he left Soohyeon dumbfounded. He looked at his hand and shrugs, “Never mind then”

 

 

“Over here… and this is right here…” Soohyeon busily arranged the chairs for his class. The place he chose was at the outdoor. He clasps his hand together and smiled.

*KRINGGG*

He sat on his place and took out his violin. As soon as the students came out from the building, he plays the violin. It catches all their attention as they never heard and see any people playing any kind of music instrument in SM.

Chen, Kai and Suho noticed the chairs arranged in front of the man who’s playing violin and walks towards it. The other saw the three of them and followed their steps.

 

 

 


 

How's it guys? ^^