Dream

The Children of Tomorrow

*Seoul, South Korea*

 

It felt really cold that day. It was cloudy, but there was a little sunlight peeking through the clouds. She has never seen anything like it before. The view from atop of the building gave made her believe she was on top of the world. It was as if everything she could see belonged to her. Everything the sun touched was her responsibility to protect.

 

It was her kingdom.

 

Her home.

 

Looking down at the cars and people bustling by, she felt like understood everything. There was need for people to be bustling and wasting their live just so they could afford enough money to afford their funeral. She now understood that there was more to life than working and sleeping. There was more to life than wasting your time, waiting for the weekend to come. It was all about making a difference.

 

She lifted her foot into air so that she was standing on one foot on the edge of the tall building. The breeze that rushed through her hair helped to clear her mind as she closed her eyes and felt her body’s momentum shifting forward. Normally a person would feel terrified if they were about to jump off of a building, but not her. Something told her that she had nothing to worry about. Nothing to fear.

 

 She felt her foot leave the concrete step and felt her entire body plunging towards the ground below her. Everyone below her didn’t seem to mind; more like they didn’t even notice that she was about to splatter on the concrete. Just as her face was about to meet the ground, she closed her eyes for a split second and didn’t feel the inevitable pain in her body. Instead, she slowly opened her eyes to see that she was hovering in mid-air, just inches above the ground. She stretched her limbs out just to see if it was really happening and it was.

 

It was really happening.

 

She was flying.

 

***

 

Taeyeon shot straight in her bed from a cold sweat. She felt so out of breath right now that if felt like she just ran a marathon. She looked at her digital clock on her nightstand and saw it read 4:27am. Taeyeon was so excited, that she jumped right out of her bed and sprinted to the other side of the hallways. She banged on the white door with a pink sign that read ‘Tiffany’ in white lettering.

 

“Fany! It happened again! Open up!” Taeyeon banged rapidly on the innocent door. She could hear shuffling from behind the door so she ceased her constant banging. Just then, the door was swung over and a girl with a white and pink robe was staring at Taeyeon with dishelmed hair tangled in front of her face.

 

“Tiffany, it happened again!” Taeyeon repeated herself. Tiffany just stood there staring at Taeyeon before slamming the door in her suitemate’s face and proceeding to fall right back into her pink bed that was calling for her.

 

“I’m serious Tiffany!” Taeyeon let herself in and sat down next to her best friend who clearly wasn’t interested in anything Taeyeon was saying.

 

“It’s just like what I told you a few days ago. I was standing on top of a tall building feeling all high and mighty and then I… Fany are you even listening to me?” Taeyeon shook her friend’s shoulder but the girl showed no signs that she was even listening or if she was even conscious.

 

“I’ll assume you can still hear me. So anyways, there I was on top of the building and then I jumped off but get this. I was floating! In mid air!” Taeyeon exclaimed in excitement. Tiffany took the pillow below her and placed it on top of her head in hopes for sweet silence to return to her. “So what do you think Fany? Isn’t that great?! What do you think?”

 

Tiffany moved her head from under the pillow and turned slightly so she could see her clearly. “I think I need to buy a lock for my door.” Tiffany turned away from her suitemate and attempted to slip back into slumber.

 

“Tiffany I’m serious!”

 

“And so am I.” Tiffany tried covering herself with her blanket, but Taeyeon giddily crept under the blanket with her.

 

“Fany, this can’t be a coincidence. This is the tenth time this happened this month,” Taeyeon said as if she just had her 7th cup of mocha lattes.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s probably some psychological thing you’re going through. Go see a crazy doctor and maybe they’ll say you just miss your parents or something like that.” Tiffany grumbled. She was really annoyed her suitemate was in her room in the early morning again. Even though it was routine that Taeyeon did this at least every week, she still had two and a half more hours before she had to leave for work and she would rather be sleeping than hear her friend go on about being crazy.

 

“Fany, you don’t understand. I feel like this might be a sign. It might be the reason why I’ve been feeling so down these past couple of months. Maybe it’s a sign from God that I’m a special being that can fly!”

 

Tiffany looked at her friend as if she had snot hanging from her nose. “Taeng, you don’t even go to church.”

 

“Well if there is a God, maybe he’s trying to let me know that I’m destined for greater things and he just bestowed me the power to fly.”

 

“Or maybe your dreams represent your self-conscious trying to tell you that you want to be special. Ever thought of that Super Taeng?”

 

A sleazy grin formed on Taeyeon’s face. “Super Taeng, huh? I like that. Pee-yooh!” Taeyeon comically stuck her arms in the air as if she was Superman going to save the day. “You know if I really am special, I might actually make a difference in this world.”

 

Taeyeon was starting to feel embarassed so she slowly placed her arms back to her side. She felt depression hit her as she  looked to see her friend’s head still under her pillow and was starting to see the error of her ways. She patted the big lump that she assumed to be Tiffany’s back.

 

“I’m sorry Fany. I know you’re probably right, but whenever I have these dreams I actually feel special.”

 

Tiffany sighed before sitting up and staring at her sad friend. “Now Taeyeon, don’t start that again. You know you’re special.”

 

“Special?” Taeyeon gave her a confused look. “There are over seven billion people on this planet Fany. How am I special?”

 

“How many people do you know named Kim Taeyeon?”

 

“I’m sure there are a few who-”

 

“And how many of those Kim Taeyeon’s are living with Tiffany Hwang in an apartment in Apgujeong, Seoul?”

 

Taeyeon had to think about it for a minute before saying anything. “Well maybe-”

 

“Taeyeon, I’ve said it once and I’ll probably say it every time you bust into my room about your crazy dreams. You are a special girl and nobody and no dream can tell you otherwise.” Tiffany Taeyeon’s hair. “Okay?”

 

Taeyeon just nodded in agreement. She knew her friend meant well, but she never understood the magnitude of her problem. For almost all of her life she’s always had this nagging feeling that she was meant for greater things. Going to school, working, hanging out with friends, it all seemed pointless at times. Instead of wasting her life away like everyone else, she always had a passion for making a difference in her life.

 

It wasn’t until she started having those dreams that she started to get excited. Of course she’s had her share in weird dreams, but every time she had the dream about jumping off the building, it always felt so real. It was as if she was looking into the future. That set off a hint from some divine power that maybe she was destined for better things.

 

“Now if you don’t mind, I’m going back to sleep. You can go dream about saving the world in your old room.” Tiffany crashed her head back onto her pillow and snuggled up next to her huggable body pillow. Taeyeon didn’t move but instead placed her index finger on her lips and emitted a high pitched puppy dog whine.

 

“No Taetae, you’re a grown woman. Go to your own bed.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t move and continued on with her pitiful puppy whines while ‘pawing’ at Tiffany’s back.

 

“Oh fine!” Tiffany turned to face Taeyeon and lifted her blanket. “Come on in, puppy Taeng.”

 

Taeyeon happily jumped under the covers next to Tiffany and snuggled right up close to Tiffany’s face. Tiffany could only sigh at her best friend’s antics.

 

“Instead of living with an adult, sometimes I feel like I’m taking care of a baby.”

 

Taeyeon had to let out her low toned laugh. “So does that mean you’re going to feed me, mama Fany?” She said in a high pitched tone and playfully poked at Tiffany’s plump chest.

 

“Yah!” Tiffany slapped the giggling girl’s shoulder. “If you’re going to be a byuntae, go back to your bed.”

 

Taeyeon pouted her lips and poked both of her index fingers together. “I’m sowwey.”

 

Tiffany just sighed again shook her head before turning the other way and closing her eyes. “Goodnight baby byun.”

 

“Heehee, goodnight Fany mommy.”

 

Taeyeon snuggled up closer to Tiffany’s back, hoping that her amazing dream would come back.