The End

Crooked Rose

She stared lifelessly at the rose. She watched it wilt. She watched it lose it's colour, it's life. She watched it die. She stared at this crooked rose, wilting in the dimly lit room. She thought back to the first rose she ever received, from the first man she ever loved.

 

********

 

She looked at the man in front of her. In his right hand was a single red rose. It's colour was vivid, as if it was recently plucked from a rose bush. It was March 20, the spring equinox. It was also their final year in high school. They were at a flower shop. School had just finished and she was walking home to continue studying. She was in AP as much as she hated it. However, she had to do it for her single mother, who had to do countless part time jobs along with her full time job so that said mother can afford to let her daughter go to university. She just had to do it.

This afternoon's walk home was interrupted by an attractive young man, who had an angel's smile, milky white skin, lovely blond hair, and a doe's eyes. He pulled her into a flower shop before thinking twice. Now here he was, attempting to court her.

"Love is like a rose, simply beautiful."

"What about the thorns?" she asked, her eyes fixed on the rose.

"Thorns? Hah, there are no thorns in our love."

She stole a quick glance at the doe-eyed boy. She didn't fail to notice the word "our" in his statement. She understood his intentions. But she didn't understand her own heart. It was racing a hundred miles a second by that one word.

Our.

He meant the love they share (or were to share if she agreed).

Truly speaking, she was interested in the boy in front of her. She had been for quite a while now. Ever since middle school, she never failed to take note of the doe-eyed, soccer loving boy. He was team captain of the school's soccer team. He was the kid who was obsessed with the Rubik's Cube. He was the kid who did what he wanted, unaffected by his peers. He was the kid who had a knack for singing.

He is Luhan.

Luhan was interested in her since the day he set his eyes on her. She was the one who played piano like an angel. She was the one who could dance like no one else is in the room. She was the brightest in the class, without an ego. She was the one who didn't throw herself at men for attention, she avoided them instead. She was the one who never danced at school dances, she helped control the music. She was the quiet girl that's hard to notice.

She is Mira.

And right now, Luhan is offering a single, red rose. With her cheeks turning a deep shade of red, she slowly, carefully, took the rose from his hands.

 

********

 

She stood up from her rocking chair. She had been sitting there for hours, staring at the dying, wilting rose, remembering his presence. She slowly walked over to a small, cracked picture frame. Inside the frame, was an old, slightly faded polaroid. It was the two of them, elegantly dressed, Luhan's arms around her waist, her hands placed on his. It was from their high school graduation dance. They were both accepted into the same university, and this dance was one of the best nights of their life. It was the night where they danced with hearts full of pure bliss. It was the night they shared their first kiss, despite being together for months at the time but it was worth it.

 

********

 

"May I have this dance?"

They were at the dance. Her navy blue dress was like a star in a sky of darkness in his eyes. The way it fit her perfectly, the way it flowed when she walked, the thin straps that held it over her shoulders, it was all just so perfect. As perfect as her. Her hair was over her left shoulder, all of it. Leaving the milky white skin of her neck and nape visible. On her neck, was a simple, yet precious necklace. The one he gave her after a month of being together. It had a heart shaped pendant, with a rose engraved on it, symbolizing their love.

Luhan had on a simple, yet elegant tuxedo. Nothing much, but he was definitely the most attractive out of all at this dance in Mira's eyes.

His hand was waiting for her to accept. She didn't hesitate in doing so. They linked hands and soon enough, they were in each other's embrace, dancing the night away. Sure, they weren't alone but it really felt like they were the only ones. They danced and enjoyed each other's company, with the feeling of pure bliss.

The dance was 4 hours long. 7-11 pm. Everyone was tired, but their hearts were full of joy. Luhan was driving Mira home, it was a silent car ride, but it wasn't awkward. They were content with the silence, just enjoying each other's company. In Mira's right hand, tightly held, was a polaroid. It was the picture they took in front of the entrance before they left to go home. Mira had silently promised to always cherish this photo, as it holds her most important memories.

When the car came to a stop, Mira slightly jerked forward. She was sleepy, but she was happy, unimaginably happy. She got out of the car, and Luhan did the same. They held hands as they walked to her door.

Just as she was about to bid him goodnight and enter her house, Luhan released his grip on her hand, held her petite waist, and leaned in closer.

Mira understood his intention, and she intended to do so anyways. She leaned in as well. The moment their lips touched, she felt sparks, she felt his love, she felt everything Luhan could never say through words.

She smiled into the kiss, her arms around his neck, her fingers holding his soft, blond hair. It was a while before they parted. They looked at each other with their eyes sparkling. They both understood the situation.

They both just had their first kiss.

 

********

 

She put down the frame, her tears threatened to stain the polaroid sitting in the cracked frame.

Why did you have to leave me? I could've left instead. Now here I am, suffering without you. Without you, I have no one. Everything is meaningless.

Luhan, I'm afraid. I want to go back. But I have nowhere to go. I can't turn back time. I didn't know being alone would be this hard.

She cried. After months of silently suffering without him, she finally cried. Reality had finally dawned on her. He's never coming back. No more whispers of "I love you" when cuddling on the couch. No more hugging. No more kissing, quick or passionate. No one to be happy with. When Luhan left, he took all her happiness with him.

I believed only in you, and I was satisfied with just that. You promised me you wouldn't leave me, even with your pinky. But like a joke, I was left alone. Will you not say anything tonight Luhan?

Now I understand why you always tried to make me run away. But I'm a stubborn fool aren't I? I didn't know this would happen. I screamed, I got dizzy. I was shocked when I was told that you left. I guess I don't know you that well yet, despite the fact that we've been together for almost a full decade. Never in my life did I think I would lose you. I guess you and I had to come to an end.

Remember when you said "love is like a rose"? You were wrong Luhan. You were so, undeniably wrong.

Her heart ached as her thoughts raced, but she managed a small chuckle.

It's my love that's like a rose. It may be beautiful, but it's thorns will hurt you. You got too close Luhan, but that's your own fault. It's because of your fault that I ended up hurting you.

 

********

 

Mira and Luhan had just gotten married, they were living a lovely, peaceful life in a lovely little apartment. Mira worked as a doctor, it was her passion, Luhan was a soccer coach. He decided to pursue a career he'd enjoy until the day he dies.

Luhan was enjoying his day off at home, relaxing, watching a soccer match on TV. When the commercial break came on, he looked over at the clock. It was 5:30. He had half an hour before Mira would walk in those doors, take off her shoes, give him a quick kiss, and head upstairs to change into something more comfortable for home.

He got of the couch, and headed to the kitchen. He decided to make some tea for her today, since it's a tad cold outside. Luhan looked through the multiple flavours of tea bags his wife stores. Her favourite is the red velvet cupcake one (apparently this flavour exists) so he searches for the tea bag. It took a while, but he had found the tea bag. He opened it's packing, and dipped the bag in the mug of warm water. The sweet aroma of the flavour hit him, and soon made the entire kitchen smell light and sweet.

He was taking it to the living room to place on the coffee table when his cell phone rang. Luhan held the mug with his left hand as he dug into the pocket of his sweatpants to take out his phone.

It was an unknown number. Nevertheless, he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Luhan? Mira's husband?"

"Yep, it's me."

"Okay, I'll cut to the chase. Your wife has developed cataracts. Severe cataracts. Surgery won't be able to help cure this. So basically, she's blind."

"I-I'm sorry. Could you repeat that last statement?"

"She's blind, sir. Your wife, Mira, is blind."

"Oh."

Luhan's hands felt numb, his legs were weak. He knew this was going to happen to her, he just never imagined it would happen so soon. He dropped the mug of red velvet cupcake flavoured tea. The mug shattered, it's shards scattering all over the rug and floor. His cell phone fell out of his hand and landed on the floor with a large thud as well.

It took a while, but reality dawned on him. He tried to stay sane, he grabbed his jacket, got his phone and put it back in his pocket, avoided the mug shards, grabbed his keys, and ran out the door.

He was sane enough to realize that she'd be hospitalized at the hospital she works at. And luckily, that's only a 10 minute drive from their home. Luhan was trying to stay sane as he got in the car, the engine, and began driving.

He tried to stay sane as he parked his car in the hospital's parking lot for visitors, he tried to stay sane as he walked into the hospital and asked about his wife. He tried to stay sane as a nurse led him to Mira's room. He tried to stay sane as he entered the room.

However, he lost all sanity when he saw his wife lying on the hospital bed, her eyes wide open, but clouded. Her beautiful, dark brown orbs were hidden behind the grey clouds that prevented her from seeing the world.

 

********

 

Her tears stopped. She wiped her tears that smeared her cheeks. Slowly, she walked to her room, and sat in front of her mirror. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. She looked at her eyes.

Doe-like eyes.

Similar to his.

"You just had to sacrifice yourself for me, didn't you Luhan? You couldn't just let me suffer while you live life to it's fullest. Luhan, I never want you to go to the extreme for me. I thought I made you promise this. I never imagined that maybe, you had your fingers crossed, to ensure that you actually didn't promise me. I never knew that you lied to me. But I'm not mad about that. I'm not mad about anything. I'm more disappointed in myself. If I didn't have eczema, if I didn't develop cataracts, if I didn't lose my ability to see, then none of this would've happened.

"I'm sorry Luhan. It's not your fault, it's mine. It's because of me you sacrificed your eyes. It's because of me you're gone. Luhan, I'm sorry. I should be gone. I probably don't deserve you, you deserve better."

She noticed something was on her neck.

A necklace.

The same necklace Luhan had given her.

Slowly, she reached for the latch, and removed the necklace. The necklace she almost never removed.

"I'm sorry Luhan. I can't do this anymore. Not when you're gone."

She let the necklace slowly slip through her fingers.

 

"Tonight, I'll be crooked."